»
Topic: Why Ohio State has only a narrow chance to win ...
Replies: 31   Last Post: Dec 26, 2020, 9:06 PM by: psquarelaw
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.


[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 31  

Why Ohio State has only a narrow chance to win ...

emoji_events [17]
Posted: Dec 25, 2020, 5:28 PM
 

The Buckeye recruits and players are extremely talented.

The primary handicap that Ohio State must overcome is their inexperienced head coach Ryan Day. Case in point: the 12/28/19 Fiesta Bowl. The Buckeyes came into the game with debatably the top player personnel in their history -- Ohio St fans certainly believed so, and they may have been be right.

So where did it go wrong? Leading up to the game, the David Hood's of Buckeye Nation were very clear in their videos. The Buckeyes were going to out-tough & out-physical Clemson, in fact the Buckeye reporters proudly made no secret of the fact the Buckeyes were just going to "beat up" Clemson. The game-plan was right out of the Ralph Friedgen playbook - hit Clemson in the mouth and they will back down.

And it worked for almost 1.5 qtrs. Ohio State dominated. Then Trevor Lawrence came back from a Shaun Wade hit after sitting out one play, ran 67 yards, and shifted the momentum of the game. Ohio State was up against something that did not exist in the B1G - a resilient team that could handle adversity.

Dabo Swinney played college ball and won a natl championship at Bama. Ryan Day played ball for New Hampshire. Dabo Swinney is 2-0 vs. Urban Meyer, 2-2 vs. Saban. Battle tested. Ryan Day, a Chip Kelly disciple, has rapidly climbed the coaching ladder and has 1.5 years of head coaching experience. Day was out-coached in last year's Fiesta Bowl with an all-star Buckeye team (10 players drafted, 7 in Top 100 picks), and he will be out-coached by the same Clemson coaching staff and better Clemson personnel in 2020. You can hand Kyle the keys to Richard Petty's #43, and even give him the same crew, but you can't replicate Richard Petty. The Buckeyes tremendously talented players will again give an outstanding effort, but they will not overcome Clemson with Ryan Day and the Buckeye coaching staff again being tactically outmaneuvered by Dabo and BV.

2021 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg link

Re: Why Ohio State has only a narrow chance to win ...

emoji_events [6]
Posted: Dec 25, 2020, 5:58 PM
 

A lot of you folks seem to believe that the CU victory over OSU is a fait accompli. You might be right.

But ball games frequently play out in a different scenario than could have been imagined. Who would have imagined a Charlie Bauman interception or a victory by 'little old Clemson' against Nebraska.

Sometimes games turn on a single play, re the 2011 Orange Bowl. WVU was not that much better than Clemson, but that night, everything changed in the blink of an eye - and a beat-down (that helped Dabo remake the Tigers) was on.

OSU has more football history than CU; OSU has 7 Heisman winners; OSU has 8 national football championships. Pretending that OSU doesn't have a football clue is, in itself, clueless.

As per the Notre Dame game, it will come down to which team is toughest in the trenches - and that won't be known until at least half-way through the first quarter. Both teams have great running backs and quarterbacks, excellent receivers, and tough guys on both sides of the ball. Who'll win? The team that can win the line of scrimmage. And, I don't mean playing to hurt someone, I mean playing to win the game. And let's not forget that on this very board within the past month, posters have been complaining about our line play - on both sides of the ball.

I think that it'll be the Tigers that walk away with the win. I hope that it will be the Tigers. But I sat and watched a nobody-knew-where Clemson team beat Ohio State and Woody Hayes when no one game them a chance. I won't be surprised, insulted, or diminished if OSU has the better game this time.

The football gods giveth and taketh away.

link

Re: Why Ohio State has only a narrow chance to win ...

[1]
Posted: Dec 25, 2020, 6:06 PM
 

OSU has 8 championships? Tell me how many they have in the last 50 years?

link

Ok, for the real information. See link below

[3]
Posted: Dec 25, 2020, 6:21 PM
 

Ohio State's National Championships....

2014, 2002 (robbed by the officials, Miami should have won on last play of the game), 1968, and 1954.

So, that is four National Titles for Ohio State. Clemson has three, 1981, 2016, and 2018.


The link below goes from 2019 to 1869. Ohio State has four titles, Clemson has three.

Ohio State does NOT have eight National Titles, they have four, just one more than Clemson. Enjoy the link below.




https://www.bannersociety.com/2019/1/10/20708453/consensus-national-champions-college-football


2021 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg link

Re: Ok, for the real information. See link below


Posted: Dec 25, 2020, 6:46 PM
 

Great post and discussion by all. Personally, I don't count any champ b4 1070 when schollys changed.

Still consider last year osu game as Dabo's best ever win. Simply from a coaches perspective. I think that will be one Dabo puts at the top.

link

I've got to go for the 44-16 beatdown of Alabama in

[2]
Posted: Dec 25, 2020, 7:02 PM
 

the 2018 Title game. Before the game, ESPN said Alabama was the best college football team, ever! Trevor Lawrence was a true freshman
and we beat down the Tide. The game was over with 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. We finished that season 15-0.

Trevor Lawrence is fantastic, and has only lost one game over three years, and that was the LSU title game last year.

2021 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg link

Re: Ok, for the real information. See link below


Posted: Dec 25, 2020, 7:56 PM
 

My biggest takeaway from civil engr link is

1900: John Heisman’s 6-0 Clemson might as well claim, though Yale won twice as many games in a more established region.

link

Re: Ok, for the real information. See link below

[4]
Posted: Dec 25, 2020, 9:06 PM
 

Apparently 6 is enough games now.

2021 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg link


And in the modern era of college football, since 1975, OhSt


Posted: Dec 26, 2020, 11:00 AM
 

has two and we have three!

2021 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg link

Re: Why Ohio State has only a narrow chance to win ...

[2]
Posted: Dec 25, 2020, 6:27 PM
 

Sage input -- but how many natl championships does Ryan Day have? And Ancient One makes an important point. Last year Ohio State won big in the trenches. It is very important. And yet Ohio State still lost. Coaching.

2021 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg link

Even Hebstreet said Ohio State's defense in not nearly as

[1]
Posted: Dec 25, 2020, 6:54 PM
 

good as last year's team. Fields had zero int's last year until Clemson intercepted two of Fields passes in the semi. He only had one passing TD against Clemson

This year, Fields has 15 TD's and 5 ints in six games.

Clemson is better defensively this year at all three levels. Trevor is the best QB in the NCAA, and he will be the #1 pick in the NFL draft. Travis is getting the running game rolling over the last few games. He has also been a force as a receiver.

2021 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg link

Re: Even Hebstreet said Ohio State's defense in not nearly as


Posted: Dec 25, 2020, 7:22 PM
 

Wondered how Fields got his waver to play as soon as he transferred to Ohio state. Was told it was race comment In the stands at a baseball game. Turns out the expedited reason may have been sexual orientation slur. Any one else hear anything?

military_donation.jpg link

Re: Even Hebstreet said Ohio State's defense in not nearly as

[4]
Posted: Dec 25, 2020, 7:32 PM
 

I really don’t care, nor should anyone else care.

The real travesty was Joe Burro playing for LSU while taking a correspondence course from LSU and not really being a student. A “hired gun” if ever there was one.

2021 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg link

OSU has 4 National Titles, see the link a couple of posts


Posted: Dec 25, 2020, 7:13 PM
 

below. The four titles are from 2014, 2002 (if not for a referee blowing a pass interference call in the last 2 seconds of the game, Miami would have won). The other two OSU titles was one in 1968, and another in the 1954.

2021 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg link

Re: Last time


Posted: Dec 25, 2020, 8:22 PM
 

There over aggressive and nasty atempts to take out Lawrence came back to bite them on theass. That probably should be blamed 75% on the coaching. The late hit on the punter and the targeting, that should have been called on both tacklers, along with some added interference on our receivers almost cost them the game. What did cost them the game was our defense stepped it up a couple of notches and just began to dominate. Moral of the story...don't make the Tigers mad. They play with a couple of gears left to go until they get ready to eat. As I said in an earlier post. the nutlesses played like the thugs they are.

2021 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg link

Ellington went in for that 3 yard TD run...


Posted: Dec 26, 2020, 10:47 AM
 

Ball stripped at goal line (play should have been blown dead) and WV runs it back for a TD. Whole game flipped there.

2021 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg link

Re: Why Ohio State has only a narrow chance to win ...


Posted: Dec 26, 2020, 9:06 PM
 

Nebraska?

link

Re: Why Ohio State has only a narrow chance to win ...


Posted: Dec 25, 2020, 8:13 PM
 

SocMan2® said:

The Buckeye recruits and players are extremely talented.

The primary handicap that Ohio State must overcome is their inexperienced head coach Ryan Day. Case in point: the 12/28/19 Fiesta Bowl. The Buckeyes came into the game with debatably the top player personnel in their history -- Ohio St fans certainly believed so, and they may have been be right.

So where did it go wrong? Leading up to the game, the David Hood's of Buckeye Nation were very clear in their videos. The Buckeyes were going to out-tough & out-physical Clemson, in fact the Buckeye reporters proudly made no secret of the fact the Buckeyes were just going to "beat up" Clemson. The game-plan was right out of the Ralph Friedgen playbook - hit Clemson in the mouth and they will back down.

And it worked for almost 1.5 qtrs. Ohio State dominated. Then Trevor Lawrence came back from a Shaun Wade hit after sitting out one play, ran 67 yards, and shifted the momentum of the game. Ohio State was up against something that did not exist in the B1G - a resilient team that could handle adversity.

Dabo Swinney played college ball and won a natl championship at Bama. Ryan Day played ball for New Hampshire. Dabo Swinney is 2-0 vs. Urban Meyer, 2-2 vs. Saban. Battle tested. Ryan Day, a Chip Kelly disciple, has rapidly climbed the coaching ladder and has 1.5 years of head coaching experience. Day was out-coached in last year's Fiesta Bowl with an all-star Buckeye team (10 players drafted, 7 in Top 100 picks), and he will be out-coached by the same Clemson coaching staff and better Clemson personnel in 2020. You can hand Kyle the keys to Richard Petty's #43, and even give him the same crew, but you can't replicate Richard Petty. The Buckeyes tremendously talented players will again give an outstanding effort, but they will not overcome Clemson with Ryan Day and the Buckeye coaching staff again being tactically outmaneuvered by Dabo and BV.


I didn’t know they played football in New Hampshire.

link

Great point - well said!***


Posted: Dec 26, 2020, 8:47 AM
 



2021 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg link

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken


Comparing Ryan Day to Richard Petty is a GREAT comparison.

[1]
Posted: Dec 26, 2020, 8:58 AM
 

Ohio State has had the rules bent over double for them by the Little 10 this year, just to "qualify" , and then play in their own conference championship game. The "King's" crew often just blatently broke the rules in place at the time to give him a competitive advantage. Daryl Waltrip seemed to be the victim a lot of the time.

After one race that Petty won, it was protested, Petty's engine was torn down, found to be completely illegal, making almost 150 horsepower more with the illegal modifications. Did they take the race away from him? Of course not, he was Ohio , er, I mean he was Richard by God PETTY. They let him off with a fine. Waltrip was apoplectic, but he could do nothing but grit his teeth and carry on.

I believe Dabo honestly feels, as do I, that Ohio State is being given that same type of unfair competitive advantage by making the playoffs only playing half a season. But, I blame the CFP as much as I do the Big 10 for this scenario. They could have made things very clear if they had said that a certain minimum number of games would be required to be played by such and such a date to be eligible for their playoff. But, obviously this whole thing is just as much driven by greed and money as it is by wanting to crown a deserving champion.

2021 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg link

Point for the good use of "apoplectic"!


Posted: Dec 26, 2020, 10:40 AM
 

We'll even forgive the spelling error.

2021 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg link

Thanks, I fixed it. Combine a wireless keyboard with several


Posted: Dec 26, 2020, 10:43 AM
 

devices sharing the same wireless router, and the results will sometimes make you apoplectic.

2021 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg link

Re: Comparing Ryan Day to Richard Petty is a GREAT comparison.


Posted: Dec 26, 2020, 2:13 PM
 

76er® said:

Ohio State has had the rules bent over double for them by the Little 10 this year, just to "qualify" , and then play in their own conference championship game. The "King's" crew often just blatently broke the rules in place at the time to give him a competitive advantage. Daryl Waltrip seemed to be the victim a lot of the time.

After one race that Petty won, it was protested, Petty's engine was torn down, found to be completely illegal, making almost 150 horsepower more with the illegal modifications. Did they take the race away from him? Of course not, he was Ohio , er, I mean he was Richard by God PETTY. They let him off with a fine. Waltrip was apoplectic, but he could do nothing but grit his teeth and carry on.

I believe Dabo honestly feels, as do I, that Ohio State is being given that same type of unfair competitive advantage by making the playoffs only playing half a season. But, I blame the CFP as much as I do the Big 10 for this scenario. They could have made things very clear if they had said that a certain minimum number of games would be required to be played by such and such a date to be eligible for their playoff. But, obviously this whole thing is just as much driven by greed and money as it is by wanting to crown a deserving champion.



Can you explain how missing spring ball and fall camp has been an unfair advantage for Ohio State? How is OSU missing those much needed practice reps so unfair for Osama Bin Dabo?

link

Re: Comparing Ryan Day to Richard Petty is a GREAT comparison.

[1]
Posted: Dec 26, 2020, 4:08 PM
 

Trolls the turd so butthurt she created a user on Christmas Day. Dang, that’s almost as
Pathetic as your troll schtick.

2021 white level member link

LOL. Them Bucknuts ain't even smart enuff to make alt names.

[1]
Posted: Dec 26, 2020, 5:45 PM
 

Sounds like an alt of ol Bucknutjustvisiting.

Bout as dumb as coots and LSWHOO fanz.

link

Re: LOL. Them Bucknuts ain't even smart enuff to make alt names.

[1]
Posted: Dec 26, 2020, 6:12 PM
 

feraltyger said:

Sounds like an alt of ol Bucknutjustvisiting.

Bout as dumb as coots and LSWHOO fanz.


Never heard of her.

link

Re: LOL. Them Bucknuts ain't even smart enuff to make alt names.


Posted: Dec 26, 2020, 7:54 PM
 

Well, we know two things. She gone and she’s a liar. Represents their program just right...

2021 white level member link

Re: Comparing Ryan Day to Richard Petty is a GREAT comparison.


Posted: Dec 26, 2020, 5:51 PM
 


Trolls the turd so butthurt she created a user on Christmas Day. Dang, that’s almost as
Pathetic as your troll schtick.


That’s it? So you can’t refute my post? Nice try.

link

Yep she's an alt.***

[1]
Posted: Dec 26, 2020, 6:00 PM
 



link

Re: Yep she's an alt.***


Posted: Dec 26, 2020, 7:56 PM
 

Biggest TNet regret of the day was accidentally giving her a TU. Of course, she was banned by then.

2021 white level member link

Re: Comparing Ryan Day to Richard Petty is a GREAT comparison.


Posted: Dec 26, 2020, 8:14 PM
 

They felt it was unsafe to play, felt everybody would follow suit. (They didn't). Said we have the best protocols in place to protect our players, they didnt. Missed three games, had 20 players out, but now with some magical cure, they dont need 21 days, their players heal in 17 days, wait, that is how many days before the Sugar Bowl ??. Have to play x number of games to be in the championship game, wait - not Ohio state??. They should have started with everybody else, wait, their vonference said no out of conference games, (not holding that the against the bucknuts) but they will be plsying out of conference.

link

Re: Comparing Ryan Day to Richard Petty is a GREAT comparison.


Posted: Dec 26, 2020, 8:53 PM
 

Comparing our coach to that murderer makes you either an ah or a da

link

Replies: 31  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Season Tickets
FOR SALE: Will buy season tickets at cost seat equity + ticket costs as well as parking. Offers must include o...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
5437 people have read this post