It seems to me - if the interview and salary are right, he's gone. If not, then why doesn't he go ahead and tell the players and fans that he is staying at Clemson? There must be a lot going on that we can't imagine. Oh the pain of it all!!!!!!!!!
I mean, if he knows he's leaving, then I understand he's not going to be out recruiting. But what if he's simply interviewed and is waiting for OU's decision, or, what if he's scheduled to interview and hasn't yet. Is he necessarily going to stop recruiting simply b/c he's being considered for a position?
BV seems like a stand-up guy and I don't expect he's lying to anyone or giving them false certainty about whether or not he'll be back, but I don't see anything wrong with simply remaining silent and going about your job until you know for sure it's a done deal.
Maybe he's under consideration, but no decision has been
Dec 3, 2021, 3:29 PM
made, which would explain why he's still out recruiting for Clemson. Maybe they are still interviewing other people, or maybe he is still negotiating or thinking it over. That would be totally ethical and make perfect sense. He still works for and remains committed to Clemson until he commits to Oklahoma.
If he was not interested in the OU job, and knew he was staying at Clemson, he would just come out and say so. The fact that he has not done that speaks volumes.
I think the most likely explanation, given what we know and what we don't, is that he has been contacted about the HC job at Oklahoma, and is one of several candidates under consideration, and he is interested to see what offer, if any, is extended.
I think that lines up with what we know, and isn't far-fetched at all.
Re: Maybe he's under consideration, but no decision has been
Dec 3, 2021, 3:35 PM
I think it’s been stated that they are looking to interview a couple of HC’s after tomorrow’s conf championships. That being the case, he very likely isn’t their first choice. That doesn’t mean he couldn’t still want it. If it were me, I’d publicly withdraw from consideration at this point, but I’m highly biased lol.
I’ll add that it’s also entirely possible as someone mentioned before that he was already offered and turned them down but is keeping quiet out of respect to them and their search.
More than likely he’s waiting like the rest of us - either to see if OU hires somebody they interview after this weekend’s games or to see if they want to go to more discussions with him. He may not be sure what the job will give him so until it’s offered he won’t know.
that if he's already turned it down, then he could go ahead and publicly say he's not going to be the next OU coach. He wouldn't have to specify he turned it down, he could just say he's not going to be the coach. If he's okay with folks thinking that he wasn't OU's first choice after their hire is announced, then it would be no different for him let folks assume that now by just saying he isn't leaving.
I think it's more likely that he's still in the running but that he doesn't know anything yet b/c OU hasn't decided anything yet.
Yes and no. He has a great relationship with OU and you don't want to publicly say that you don't want that job. It's the same professional courtesy that he would extend by simply taking the call and telling them he appreciates the offer but isn't looking to leave where he is.