Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Strong Arm QBs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 1

Strong Arm QBs

Mar 7, 2021, 12:53 PM

Much has been written and said about the arm strength of QBs. But is arm strength the top priority in a QB being recruited for a college team or drafted by a professional team? I've heard different versions of what is meant by arm strength but the one that appears to be the most used is the ability to throw the long ball with a high degree of accuracy.

Personally, I have always preferred a QB with a fast delivery and accuracy in the ten yard to 35 yard range. Several factors are involved and the one that has generated the most comments by Tiger fans is how well our OL functions. Even an excellent QB may perform poorly if he is not given sufficient time to go through his progressions. If the OL is performing poorly the QB will need to rely on a fast and accurate delivery or the ability to scramble to create more time to achieve a high degree of success.

Many of you are too young to have seen Fran Tarkenton play at Georgia and later with the Minnesota Vikings and New York Giants. His ability to scramble was his trademark and one of the main reasons for his success in the pros. Watson's success here at Clemson and with the Texans was in part due to his ability to scramble. The last two minutes in the championship game with Alabama, Watson utilized his scrambling ability and his mid-range passes to march down the field.

Several years ago I was looking at the stats of the pro teams passing game. The majority of the teams averaged less than ten yards per completed pass over the entire season. Most of us would probably admit that a long pass for a TD is a thing of beauty but so is a short pass where the receiver breaks away for a TD or for a long gain.

Many of us prefer an explosive offense but we also like to see our team march down the field making first downs by our running and short passing game. That keeps our opponents defense on the field and our defense resting on the sidelines.

There are other factors involved but I'll not attempt to cover them in this post.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Strong Arm QBs

Mar 7, 2021, 1:08 PM

Y.A. Tittle and Bart Starr had strong arms if I remember correctly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic