Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Share a memory: Best overall road trip to see a Clemson football game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

Share a memory: Best overall road trip to see a Clemson football game

Apr 22, 2021, 9:05 PM

1a for me was Auburn in 2010. Even though we lost the game that was one of those fun days I ever had attending a football game

1b National championship game versus LSU in 2020. Again, we lost, but I was down there for three days and had an absolute ball

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ND in the semifinals couple of years ago and Auburn

Apr 22, 2021, 9:07 PM

‘16.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ND in the semifinals couple of years ago and Auburn

Apr 22, 2021, 9:18 PM

Went to that Auburn game as well in 16, had a great time but couldn’t edge 2010 Because of the group I was with , a fun crowd

My three favorites in person; #1) The 2016 season title game

Apr 23, 2021, 10:31 AM [ in reply to ND in the semifinals couple of years ago and Auburn ]

in Tampa. Everybody was hugging at least one Tiger fan/alum after Renfrow's catch. Many of us big boys had tears in our eyes. The aerial shots zooming in on the Clemson sections showing group/family hugs everywhere. I can't imagine a better feeling at a Clemson game.

#2) The Clemson/Nebraska title game in Miami. My senior year at Clemson was 1981/1982. I knew many of the players and got to go down on the field. I actually made it down to the King Orange logo at the 50 yard line after the game. Unbelievable feeling.

#3) Auburn in 2016. It was my first trip to Auburn. My wife is an Auburn grad. She was an All SEC Volleyball player at Auburn. She is very close to her former teammates and we were seated with some of them. The pregame eagle flight around the stadium has an aura much like the Tigers running down The Hill. Of course, we won the game which made it all that much sweeter.

My home game favorite wins in person;

UGA in 1981, SCAR in 1980, and FSU in 2011. The moment we sacked the FSU QB to win the 2011 game may be the loudest single moment for me in Death Valley. The only comparison to me was the 1977 game. No upper decks, but it was incredibly loud. It was a close loss, but all the Notre Dame players could talk about after the game was how loud Death Valley was during the game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The 1977 game in my post was of course the Notre Dame game.

Apr 23, 2021, 10:47 AM

I was trying to do three things at once, and failed!

Re: Share a memory: Best overall road trip to see a Clemson football game

Apr 22, 2021, 9:28 PM

B.C. In 06 and Cotton Bowl.

Apr 22, 2021, 9:42 PM

BC '06..If memory serves it was the first time in years we played BC at their place. I flew ( 1st time ever) with my bother-in-law for the game, and got to go to Fenway on Sunday for Sox/Royals

Apr 22, 2021, 9:31 PM

'87 Citrus Bowl. 4 of us (2 coots & 2 Tigers) hit the road to see South Carolina vs LSU in the Gator Bowl and Clemson/Penn St in Orlando the next day. Great times!

Apr 23, 2021, 8:35 AM

Kirv said:

'87 Citrus Bowl. 4 of us (2 coots & 2 Tigers) hit the road to see South Carolina vs LSU in the Gator Bowl and Clemson/Penn St in Orlando the next day. Great times!

We did the same trip and were so hung over that the only saving grace was the beer sales at the Citrus Bowl. Clemson fans taking over ALL the bars in Chestnut Hill in 06. Tailgating in freezing conditions at the Cotton Bowl. looking back its hard to name a favorite which is why I try to plan at least one every year.

Apr 22, 2021, 9:37 PM

both of the playoff wins over bucknuts in the desert. Watching them leave at halftime of the 31-0 beatdown,after having been mouthy and classless during the pregame tailgating, was priceless

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cotton Bowl trip to crush domers was a great one. Also got

Apr 22, 2021, 9:40 PM

to see DW4 in Houston the following day when they had 4 Tigers on the team.

Re: Cotton Bowl trip to crush domers was a great one. Also got

Apr 22, 2021, 10:39 PM

Did the same, that was an awesome trip

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2021, 10:02 PM

1982 Orange Bowl. Our first National Championship. Took in the Fog Bowl (Gator Bowl) in Jacksonville on the way to Miami. UNC vs. Arkansas.

Apr 22, 2021, 10:31 PM

I remember watching the Fog Bowl on TV. You could still see silhouettes of the Razorbacks but UNC had the cloak of invisibility.

1989 Gator Bowl

Apr 22, 2021, 10:05 PM

The game was on my 16th birthday. My dad and I flew down to JAX the night before - I actually turned 16 on the flight down as we didn’t land until like 1am. Dad rented a convertible and we drove to the hotel Jacksonville beach with the top down.

Game day was awesome - scored tix for cheap and enjoyed the old school pregame events. In the first quarter I remember thinking how low loud the WVu fans were, but that didn’t last long!

In a world of human wreckage...
https://youtu.be/Mrx7FVxdv7s

Second was a few short years later when me and a group of

Apr 22, 2021, 10:20 PM

Friends drove down for the Peach Bowl and Citrus Bowl.

We drove down to Clemson and spent the night there before driving to Atlanta on 12/31/93 for the Peach bowl vs Kentucky.

After the game we hopped in mom’s minivan and started the drive to Orlando. We rolled into town as the sun came up and caught a few hours of zzzs in a sh1tty hotel before we started pregaming for the Citus Bowl (Penn St vs Tn)

I don’t remember the drive home

Ok.. so third would be at Boston College in 2018

Apr 22, 2021, 10:32 PM

The wife and I met my brother up there. Got an air b&b in Charlestown. Great freaking weekend, I love that city.

Re: 1989 Gator Bowl

Apr 24, 2021, 4:59 PM [ in reply to 1989 Gator Bowl ]

We stayed at Jacksonville Beach, too! Fun trip!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

2003 opener at Clemson against Georgia..

Apr 22, 2021, 10:37 PM

Georgia had like 9 players suspended and it was 97 degrees.

I picked Clemson to win, the the Dawgs jumped on Clemson early and went on to a 30-0 win in Death Valley.

I’m booing in your general direction***

Apr 22, 2021, 10:46 PM

1990 opener at Clemson against Georgia..

Apr 23, 2021, 12:33 AM [ in reply to 2003 opener at Clemson against Georgia.. ]

10/6/1990. Bad Bart and I worked through hangovers in rare comfort with luxury box liquor in Death Valley. After UGA LB Mo Lewis made every tackle for UGA in 1st half and kept it close, he tired out. And Tigers opened up a can of whoop-a$$ in 2nd half. Drinks were freshened up again then again. Tigers 34 - Dawgs 3. And then, a post-game celebration of mythical proportions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2003 opener at Clemson against Georgia..

Apr 23, 2021, 6:57 AM [ in reply to 2003 opener at Clemson against Georgia.. ]

That was probably one of the worst days I’ve spent in Clemson

re: 2003 Clemson/Georgia... I've always said that was the most

Apr 23, 2021, 8:57 AM [ in reply to 2003 opener at Clemson against Georgia.. ]

miserable I've ever been. Official temp may have been 97 or whatever, but sitting in a concrete bowl with no breeze and facing the sun... I almost died. Felt like 120 with high humidity. Had to bail in the 3rd qtr and head back to tailgate spot...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: 2003 opener at Clemson against Georgia..

Apr 25, 2021, 8:27 AM [ in reply to 2003 opener at Clemson against Georgia.. ]

Back at you. 1986 in Athens.

Clemson 31
Georgia 28

David Treadwell kicks a 43-yard field goal as time expired. I still have a twig from the hedges that day.

Apr 22, 2021, 11:58 PM

September 1989. We were on the cusp of kicking in the door on FSU. The previous year we had been beaten by the puntrooski(that was agony). In 89 we went down having a good D as usual but were not sure about the offense. We had been through several toss sweep right, toss sweep left, 3rd and 5 draw play. Passing-what's that?? Chris Morocco was QB and Terry Allen was our back. Our OL just beat the snot out of their DL and our D was up to the task. It was the first time we'd ever been able to give them the "Chop" back. Talk about sore losers, they were vacating like at USuC with 6 minutes left. We were up 28 to 7 at the half. The groans and sighs were priceless. We won 34 to 23. 2 years later, Hatfield had taken over as coach in a shady deal behind closed doors. Danny Ford was forced out for a million dollars which was HUGE back then. We drank Koolaid and went back to Tallahasse in 1993 under Mr Hatfields leadership-or whatever you could call it. We were on the goal line like 3 times in the first half and came up empty. It was a hot day and the team back then was notoriously out of shape-another Hatfield memory. When they came out of the locker room, they were just dead. They didn't take the first play and you knew we were beaten=bad! 57-0 and a long #### ride back to Greenville the next day. From there the program took a nose dive and didn't come up for air until Tommy Bowden arrived in 1999. He started the upturn and we have first class facilities which started with him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2021, 12:12 AM

79 ND game. Flew into Detroit to meet some relatives and drove over the next morning. Great day. The ND fans were not used to visiting fans cheering and making noise the whole game.

Mine is from a long time ago...1989...to the

Apr 23, 2021, 5:02 AM

Gator Bowl, when we played West Virginia.

My folks were still alive and drove down from Rock Hill to meet us at Lake Murray, as did close friends from Alabama. They along with neighbors and us caravanned to St. Augustine Beach where we stayed. My son and the younger crowd drove into Jacksonville for festivities, while we adults drove to Fernandina Beach for one of those off-shore gambling/dinner cruises. Next day we tailgated with a crowd of West Virginians before the game, an experience especially enjoyed by my Dad, as he had family from both Virginia and West Virginia. Those Mountaineers were the best folks to spend time with, and even after the game, which we won, they were friendly and entertaining.

The next day we strolled along an outdoor mall area in St. Augustine, and lo and behold, along comes Danny Ford with whom we chatted and took photos. My folks and friends said for a long time afterwards that the trip was one of the best they had ever taken...and I have agreed all these years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's mine!

Apr 23, 2021, 5:38 AM

http://tigerpregameshow.blogspot.com/2011/05/archive-scott-rhymer-reflects-on-texas.html

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2021, 6:07 AM

1982 Orange Bowl. My sophomore year. Plane went crazy on return trip when Captain announced we were just named national champions.

Apr 23, 2021, 6:47 AM

2008 Maryland game.

My son, who was in middle school at the time, had one of his friends and friend's dad fly in from Texas for the game. The dad had some connection with a guy (can't remember his name) who had played at Clemson in the early 90s. They guy showed us around, took us down to the field where we met Jeff Davis. The boys were on the field for the entrance. It was one of the last games of the Bowden era.

Apr 23, 2021, 7:05 AM

Tulane in 1981

NEW ORLEANS. NUFF SAID

Apr 23, 2021, 9:47 AM

I remember that game as well. We drove down in an RV with lots of beer. I grew up outside New Orleans, so got to show my friends my city. Great year of football.

Honestly... may not be as flashy or at a prestigious place

Apr 23, 2021, 8:37 AM

but the game and experience was awesome.

It was at Wake Forest when Gaines Adams changed the momentum (single-handedly, literally) and Clemson came back to beat the deacs on a drizzly, cold day in Winston Salem. WE had a group of about 15-20 people (we were all 20 somethings) with no tickets..we all got in some how or another and towards the end (4th qtr) all of us ended up at the top of the Wake student section.

Early on it was all fun and games for the Wake Students but at the end it was all Tigers and it was sweet to see the long faces avoiding the high fiving Clemson fans above them! BTW none of us were confrontational or mean spirited just having a good time (i can't stand idiots/fans that make life miserable for opposing fans/ you can have fun and not be an @$$ about it...)

I just remember CJ ripped off a run to put us up and then it was just Hope to God we didn't mess it up on Defense.

I've been to better venues, bigger games, even National Championships but this one sticks out to me for the game and the group we had and the experience.

78 Gator... JR year... Woody Hayes... first bowl win in 20 years.

Apr 23, 2021, 9:05 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Apr 23, 2021, 9:11 AM

November 7, 1981 - Kenan Stadium, Chapel Hill, NC: Tiger victory 10 - 8. Awesome game on the way to our first National Championship. Go Tigers

Apr 23, 2021, 9:54 AM

Clemson/uscjr. 1989 45-0 Great time with younger brother and friends.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2021, 9:25 PM

I love the joke they came out of that game

Q- “how do you kill a gamecock?”
A- “with a .45” lol

I was at that game with my brother, his wife and my Dad.

Apr 23, 2021, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Share a memory: Best overall road trip to see a Clemson football game ]

My brother is a coot fan. My Dad and I LOVED that game. :D

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

2006 Thursday Night in Blacksburg

Apr 23, 2021, 10:06 AM

My boss was a VT Grad and we met in Blacksburg for the game, about 3pm. His parking spot was next to the stadium, right where the visiting teams offload. When the Clemson buses pulled up we walked over and Spiller was one of the first one's off the bus. As Spiller came off the bus he just kept nodding and saying "We got Dis, We got Dis, We got Dis...."

It was freezing and raining. We went up 7-0 right off the bat with a James Davis TD, didn't score again for the rest of the game and ended up getting spanked. For years, anytime something came up in a meeting or on a conference call my boss would always get a "We got dis" somewhere in the meeting....Pretty funny....sombich.

So far..

Apr 23, 2021, 3:28 PM

2019 Louisville..

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2021, 4:09 PM

1a: Clemson beating #10 Miami in 2009.......that was the moment I knew Dabo was the real deal.

1b: 2016 Natty

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Tampa 2016 too easy and not a "true" road game so I'll

Apr 23, 2021, 4:59 PM

go with Tallahassee 1989. My senior year at Clemson. Rented a van with a bunch of buddies, bought a keg on the way out of town, and had to swap it out for a new one in South Georgia. OMG what a weekend that was, plus revenge for Puntrooskie! Sitting in the FSU student section and mocking the war chant was icing on the cake!

Many fights, but memories that will last a lifetime.

1989 at FSU

Apr 23, 2021, 7:24 PM

Same game. We were in the endzone bleachers on the corner adjacent to the FSU student section and did "the chop" towards them all game. Well maybe it was only for two quarters because there were none of them left after halftime. Those bleachers were made of wood. We all may (or may not) still have a splintered piece of wood from them after one collapsed from us jumping on them all game.

We could only afford one hotel room so we had at least eight of us in the one room. Good times.

Re: 1989 at FSU

Apr 24, 2021, 4:50 PM

That was one of my favorite games! We sat in the FSU section where one of their over-confident fans lost his hat to us.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Tampa 2016 too easy and not a "true" road game so I'll

Apr 23, 2021, 9:29 PM [ in reply to Tampa 2016 too easy and not a "true" road game so I'll ]

That’s awesome

Most memorable road games ... not necessarily good

Apr 23, 2021, 9:37 PM

1. 2016 against WFU. Cold as all get-out. My feet were still cold the next day..
2. The Auburn game against Scam Newton ... it was a 50th Anniversary present to my parents. It was hot and humid and we had to walk a mile + to the stadium. Fairley speared Parker, too.
3. A Duke game back in the early 90s. We stayed in a friend’s sister’s house that was being renovated. We had a paranormal encounter about 4:00am. They still claim the house is haunted.
4. A game at Coot U. My Mom and I were given tickets in the club level. Clemson destroyed SCar. Mom and I cheered loudly and pissed off several coots. ??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Apr 23, 2021, 10:44 PM

The trip was fantastic--the game, not so much as Clemson lost to Maryland. We toured DC with a night drive-by of the monuments the day of arrival. The next day we saw the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns, toured Arlington, the Jefferson and Lincoln Memorials, the Vietnam Memorial, the White House (outside only), and a couple of the Smithsonian museums. After the game, we had a nice seafood meal at a restaurant on the Inner Harbor.

Oh...the coots lost that day while in Maryland as well...to Navy! They announced it at our game.

Message was edited by: TigerzzRoar®

--Henry David Thoreau

Apr 24, 2021, 6:43 PM

1978(?) I believe. College Park Md. Six of us from Lexington SC took off in Mr Bills motor home. Won’t give last names to protect the innocent. Stan, Steve, Doug, John, Rusty and Greg. Fun trip up. Wild ballgame that won ACC championship. We sat in the end zone in temporary bleachers, Wind blew right into our faces and we weren’t feeling too good anyway??. Dwight Clark caught a long TD and headed straight toward us. Was like high school football, we were just a few yards from the field. Crazy traffic around DC area. Never forgot that trip. Was the beginning of Tigers breaking out!!

Apr 24, 2021, 7:01 PM

And went on to play Buckeyes in the famous Gator Bowl that was Coach Hayes last game. Think I’m correct .

Apr 25, 2021, 8:51 AM

Boston College. Great place to sight see . Took in a Sox game. Lots of great restaurants. Stayed downtown . Best of all got to see the Tigers kick butt. Louisville was another great trip

Apr 25, 2021, 9:26 AM

Two come to mind, both in Miami. The national championship in 82 and the triller if beating Miami in overtime. The dummy thing was the Miami band playing the eye of the Tiger just before we beat them. Lol.

The win in Auburn was fun after the game because their fans were stunned and very quiet.

Apr 25, 2021, 9:27 AM

Two come to mind, both in Miami. The national championship in 82 and the triller if beating Miami in overtime. The dummy thing was the Miami band playing the eye of the Tiger just before we beat them. Lol.

The win in Auburn was fun after the game because their fans were stunned and very quiet.

1977 clemson 7-6 in athens***

Apr 25, 2021, 12:44 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic