Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you have read my post you will know I am not a fan of the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

If you have read my post you will know I am not a fan of the

Mar 2, 2021, 10:40 AM

Transfer Portal. I believe it will have a big negative affect on college football and recruiting. It seems since the transfer portal became a part of the the mothership ( aka the incompetent NCAA ) Clemson has lost some quality players. Many that have been backup players but still received a lot of playing time. Do you think the TP has hurt Clemson’s recruiting?? Or Clemson’s football program??

Those who have been in favor of the transfer portal in the past, are you still in favor of it. If so why?? If you no longer support the TP, what changed your mind??

I think many players are bolting from one school to another hoping for greener pastures. IMO it seems in many cases these players end up in a situation much worse than before they entered the TP!

I do not like the TP. IMO it’s bad for college football and has created a problem with recruiting. I think it opens the door for more dirty under the table recruiting.

The TP may be useful for in limited situations but I don’t think it was meant to be a free agency portal. That’s what I believe it has become.

Now for my non football post: if anyone has 2 to 4 tickets for Women’s Softball series for a Friday and Saturday game please T-Mail me. If necessary I will buy glad to buy the Sunday tickets to. I want to take my Dad and my daughter to a a couple of games this year. Thank you Tigernet members.

When I was in my early twenties my dad was in his late 40’s or his early 50’s. I was privileged to have played with my Dad for 5 or 6 on the same fast pitch softball team. He was a really good ball player. In fact he played church league softball until he was in his early 70’s artificial knees included. At 86 he still loves to get his glove out and throw the ball around.

He is an amazing Dad and my best friend!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you have read my post you will know I am not a fan of the

Mar 2, 2021, 10:44 AM

I agree that the TP will continue to get worse and hurt College Football .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don’t get sucked in!!!!!

Mar 2, 2021, 10:52 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm for freedom so I'm for it.

Mar 2, 2021, 11:22 AM

It's disappointing when a Player chooses to leave Clemson obviously but they should have the freedom to make that choice. In the long run schools that prove to treat guys right and be honest will benefit and if a Kid rejects what is right then he can keep stepping.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then do you also agree that schools should be able to cut players

Mar 2, 2021, 12:05 PM

who aren’t performing on the field or in the classroom as anticipated?

I view a scholarship as a contract, an agreement. School commits to player, and player commits to school. If the player has the freedom to opt out (assuming scholarships are renewed yearly) then why shouldn’t schools be allowed to opt out for any reason as well?

I’m not arguing for schools to screw players, but if players are the only ones who can change their minds then this sounds like (another) step toward players having all of the power. That’s not good for the sport.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Then do you also agree that schools should be able to cut players

Mar 2, 2021, 12:13 PM

Reminds me of my workplaces tuition reimbursement program. If they are contributing to my education and paying tuition. I am required to give them x years of service. If I quit before my obligations are met I must pay back the prorated amount of tuition the company paid for me. It’s a fair give and take. IMO

Scholarships are on an annual basis

Mar 2, 2021, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Then do you also agree that schools should be able to cut players ]

I thought this was known?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Scholarships are on an annual basis

Mar 2, 2021, 2:41 PM

Facts have never gotten in the way.

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Hopefully one day you can move on from whatever personal

Mar 2, 2021, 2:59 PM

dislike you have of me. I'm sorry you are harboring that.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Yes, I agree.

Mar 2, 2021, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Scholarships are on an annual basis ]

Which is why I said:

"If the player has the freedom to opt out (assuming scholarships are renewed yearly) then why shouldn’t schools be allowed to opt out for any reason as well?"

I don't know if there are plans to change the one year renewal for scholarships, but assuming that the yearly scholarship term still applies, why shouldn't schools be allowed to back out since players are?

Absolute freedom supporter?chaos, murder, mayhem & the gallows of the dark web****

Mar 2, 2021, 6:55 PM [ in reply to I'm for freedom so I'm for it. ]

It’s significantly harmed college basketball.

Mar 2, 2021, 12:11 PM

In college hoops, you see guys bail all the time. And that is with the required year of sitting out, unless it’s a grad transfer situation.

It makes it very hard for coaches to build a roster. Clemson basketball has benefited from it in years past, allowing us to update our roster and fill holes. I feel that the players we have brought in via transfer have been a net gain when compared to who we lost to transfer. But it is still hard to build the kind of continuity you want.

At least college football doesn’t allow one and dones like college basketball does. But I’m sure that will happen as some point.

I just want our teams at Clemson to be able to recruit out of high school and develop talent and chemistry that way, but I realize that is nearly impossible to do. Some players will naturally want to play more, and seek greener pastures. Those roster spots have to be filled, and it isn’t always possible to fill them with another to reserve or high school recruit.

so has the one and done in basketball. I am not a fan of

Mar 2, 2021, 12:15 PM

the TP or "one and done". Both are ruining college sports, especially football, just my opinion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1 other big difference is the NBA created a league

Mar 2, 2021, 1:42 PM [ in reply to It’s significantly harmed college basketball. ]

For HS parts Which should limit one and dones and level the field.

Nfl still uses college as their development league.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

The transfer portal is NOT new

Mar 2, 2021, 1:36 PM

Just has a new name and is easiest to navigate.

And I dont have a problem with it. Students are allowed to xfer any time they want. Student athletes should also.

Re: The transfer portal is NOT new

Mar 2, 2021, 2:01 PM

I think the issue (as usual) comes down to money. The school spend hundreds of thousands if not millions on recruiting these kids. Take DJ for example. He played ball over 2500 miles away. How many private jet charter tickets did CU fund for coaches to fly out and watch him play. Meet and greet his family. And the lodging and meals cost for the staff.

The evaluation of a regular student only requires a few staff in house to go through transcripts, test scores, etc.

The school invests in these high profile players because they expect a return on that investment to the tune of a successful athletic program.

I can see both side of the argument here and I don’t really lean towards one or the other. Both have good points.

Mar 2, 2021, 2:47 PM [ in reply to The transfer portal is NOT new ]

It is amazing how worked up people get about this when they clearly don’t understand it. The rights of schools in the process are completely unchanged. And it actually reduces shadiness because students athletes declare their intent rather than having intermediaries slinking around gauging interest. And the NBA forcing kids into 1 year of college is what is wrecking college basketball - not transfers.

142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Mar 2, 2021, 3:11 PM

exactly. it’s not new and it’s not a difficult concept. this is not the armed services. any kid can leave any school at any time of their choosing. shocking how people forget that college sports is a business. the education, if you get one, is a byproduct of the business. if a kid leaves, there’s always someone else to take their place. funnel in and funnel out - the nature of the business.

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Mar 2, 2021, 3:09 PM [ in reply to The transfer portal is NOT new ]

And...... It was a given that you had to sit for a year unless you moved to a lower division.

Mar 2, 2021, 3:24 PM

The “transfer portal” didn’t change this either. Transfers still had to apply for a waiver for immediate eligibility. The blanket transfer eligibility waiver was just passed in December primarily because of Covid and still requires the student have been enrolled full-time, be in good academic standing, and be their first transfer.

I am not a fan of the portal, never have been. It takes a

Mar 2, 2021, 4:44 PM

huge time and financial investment to make recruiting trips, schedule on campus visits, etc, trying to convince young men to buy into your program. All that goes out the window when they can just up and leave on a whim, which is what the transfer portal has now allowed.

Strangely enough, the only position to really have much success coming out of the portal thus far is at quarterback, which SHOULD be the HARDEST position to develop. Base on our own exit experience, not even that position has gone on to have major success elsewhere.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic