Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Relocation Question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Relocation Question

Mar 29, 2021, 1:47 PM

I have a relative who , because of job, is having to relocate from Virginia to the Lancaster, SC area. Can anyone share information about Lancaster ( never have been there) ? Schools, housing the normal things. While his work will be in town, he is open to surrounding area.

Serious replies, please. Thanks!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Relocation Question

Mar 29, 2021, 1:53 PM

Don't pronounce it wrong, they will surely let you know. You would think that you just kicked their dog or something.,lol

Mar 29, 2021, 2:05 PM

Yep, I think that the N is silent with the way they pronounce their city name, and not Lan caster!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's pronounced LANK-aster. Don't dare say Lan-cas-ter.***

Mar 29, 2021, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Relocation Question ]

Mar 29, 2021, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Relocation Question ]

depends if he can pronounce Powhite, Dumfries, Mattaponi, Zuni, Norfolk, Staunton, or Lebanon to begin with...

Mar 30, 2021, 2:08 PM

Add Botetourt to that list.

Mar 29, 2021, 1:58 PM

Practice his country accent. Buy a bunch of camouflage clothes for daily wear. Get a truck with different sized tires on all rims. Knock out a few teeth. And they should fit right in.

As for school. As long as his kids have passed 3rd grade they will be more than ready for South Carolina high schools

(That last one is actually true)

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2021, 2:06 PM

LMAO!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go back

Mar 29, 2021, 5:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Relocation Question ]

To wherever you came from

Mar 30, 2021, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Relocation Question ]

Sadly, you are not far off the mark. +1

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Mar 29, 2021, 2:08 PM

Lancaster is a cool small town. Not much there, but it is pretty country. Housing is comparable to other areas in SC that aren't in the city. Don't know about schools though

Mar 29, 2021, 2:13 PM

My whole family was from that area. Sleepy mill town owned by Springs Mills back in my youth. Colonel Springs ran the show although his home was in Fort Mill. I left in my mid-twenties (50 years ago) and have only been back for official business and no time to kick the can around. Most(all) of the mills are gone so I'm sure employment is not the greatest. It is only about 40 miles from Charlotte......count that good or bad. If he doesn't mind a little drive, 8 miles or so, I would move out towards Van Wych. Brand new schools up til High.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Mar 29, 2021, 2:33 PM

Important !!!!! Make sure you make the correct turn off the interstate or you will end up in Gaston.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Buy in Rock Hill

Mar 29, 2021, 2:38 PM

Wonder why? Look up knowledge park and future developments planned ... also the Panthers are there. Property values are about to go up..

Don’t know much about Lancaster

Re: Buy in Rock Hill

Mar 29, 2021, 3:13 PM

^^^ this

Just live in Rock Hill...

Mar 29, 2021, 5:01 PM

Schools get bad ratings though. But i think its more because they're older. Fort Mill get the best reviews in the state for schools but they're over populated. Indian Land is above average for ratings.Not sure about what is out in the country areas of lancaster

Mar 29, 2021, 5:41 PM

I’m thinking that whoever recommended Rock Hill just doesn’t know the area. If I’ve got school aged kids...no way I’m moving to Rock Hill...regardless of property values.

Mar 29, 2021, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Buy in Rock Hill ]

I'd live in Ft. Mill if I could. Close to Baxter, Lancaster, Rock Hill, and Charlotte. Much nicer area and the schools are great in Ft Mill compared to Rock Hill and Lancaster.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^^^^^^^^ Yep

Mar 30, 2021, 3:12 PM

Ft. Mill is the place. A friend of mine just relocated there from Greenwood mainly because of the schools.

Yes you should relocate. I didn’t have time to read your message but

Mar 29, 2021, 3:48 PM

Pretty sure I hit the nail on the head

If the job is in Lancaster or north of Lancaster

Mar 29, 2021, 4:45 PM

I would look in the Indian Land or Fort Mill area if kids are involved. Fort Mill has the best schools in the area but the area is pricey. Rock Hill is much better than it used to be and could be a third option. I would not personally recommend living in the Lancaster area unless looking for a lot of land and/or no plans for kids...but that’s just me. I’m born and raised and still live in the area.

Something else that might make a difference as far as culture shock...where in VA does your friend currently live?

Lancaster County is wide ranging

Mar 29, 2021, 4:58 PM

Indian Land is pretty much the Ballantyne area (charlotte) which is high population/traffic/amenities and the town of Lancaster is more like Cowpens in scale. They're about 45 minutes apart. So two wide ranging areas. they're building large neighborhoods in the more rural areas so i assume they're expecting development to continue creeping down HWY 521 toward the town of Lancaster. Way more expensive in Ballantyne and still some decent land going toward the more rural areas. But if he has to drive into charlotte everyday it may be too much driving for him. But the better investment is the cheaper land out in the country bc the development is on the way.

Mar 29, 2021, 8:31 PM

I lived in Lancaster and now live in Rock Hill. Never had kids in e schools, but I would think RH would be slightly better Fort Mill schools generally
Have had a good reputation. FM has grown so much recently so I don't know if that has had a negative affect on the schools. The area of Lancaster
Called Indianland is also growing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fort Mill growing quickly for sure...

Mar 29, 2021, 10:04 PM

I won’t say Fort Mill is best in the state, cause they’re not, but head and shoulders better than Rock Hill.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic