Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am an old geezer so please be gentle.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

I am an old geezer so please be gentle.

Mar 8, 2021, 5:31 PM

It is far too easy to break my decrepit bones. Of course, things have drastically changed since I played. But I have been thinking about this portal thingy. Let us suppose you are a junior. You worked hard for two years and doing all things the coaches have asked of you. Then suddenly there is this portal guy. He comes from you know where in your position. How would you respond?

In my opinion, it hurts more than helps in the long term.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Re: I am an old geezer so please be gentle.

Mar 8, 2021, 5:33 PM

Especially as well as we recruit. Also, some guys wait so long like Cornell Powell or Spector.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 8, 2021, 5:33 PM

It certainly can not help with team cohesion in my opinion.

Relatively speaking...

Mar 8, 2021, 5:34 PM

I think Dabo is fiercely loyal to his players and that is something he takes into consideration while many other coaches...well...probably don't.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I am sure to get flamed for my opinion, but it is my

Mar 8, 2021, 5:51 PM

truthful take. I wish they had never done away with the caveat of having to wait a year to be eligible to play after transferring. That caveat made many an 18-21 year old mind think long and hard about their situation before pulling the trigger on a transfer. Nowadays, they can just get p!ssed off at a coach after a practice, and POOF, they are out of here! There are very few situations in real life where you get a "Get out of jail free" card for a complete do-over. That is what the transfer portal is hyped up to be. The reality is that the Grass is NOT always greener on the other side of the fence. In fact, MOST times it is not, with notable exceptions being some recent QB transfers. But, even there, for every Joe Burrow or Justin Fields, there are probably ten Hunter Johnsons or Chase Brices.

In the immortal words of the Human Torch, Flame On!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am sure to get flamed for my opinion, but it is my

Mar 8, 2021, 5:55 PM

Won’t get flamed by me. I agree 100%.

I agree. The current situation is just a way for some kids

Mar 9, 2021, 7:26 AM [ in reply to I am sure to get flamed for my opinion, but it is my ]

to get out of a commitment that they made. Likewise the coaches using it are doing the same to the players they recruited. Needs to be much harder than it currently is.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The successful stories will be highlighted but will be...

Mar 8, 2021, 7:24 PM

outnumbered by unsuccessful ones 2:1 or more IMO. It will be a fad for a few seasons, but there are drawbacks such as learning new systems : playbooks and tying up scholarships for incoming freshmen. Like mentioned, team chemistry can be jeopardized.

Again media likes and sells happy stories but the complete picture may be more complex.

The successful stories will be highlighted but will be...

Mar 8, 2021, 7:25 PM

outnumbered by unsuccessful ones 2:1 or more IMO. It will be a fad for a few seasons, but there are drawbacks such as learning new systems : playbooks and tying up scholarships for incoming freshmen. Like mentioned, team chemistry can be jeopardized.

Again media likes and sells happy stories but the complete picture may be more complex.

I'd knee cap em

Mar 8, 2021, 7:26 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tonya, Tonya, Tonya. We hardly knew ye.

Mar 9, 2021, 8:05 AM

:(

Mar 8, 2021, 11:22 PM

It seems to me that you are all overlooking a simple fact - they are college students and just pulling up and shipping out is a real issue with your classes and progress to degree.

I know, that's really funny right? Like that is a factor.

But that shines a bright light on how fake the whole "student athlete" image really is.

Face it - for a very long time Division I football has been the farm team for the NFL. It was designed for that and that's what it is. Nothing less.

So they are free agents. They don't love the school - they are career oriented. Just like most people on their job.

I was a CEO for many years. I used to tell my employees - don't love your job because it will never love you back. Do your best for you - not for me. Then you will never resent what you've invested.

Mar 9, 2021, 6:50 AM

The more a team relies on the portal to fill spots on their team the less successful they will be.

FSU is using it e3xtensively this year. Norvell has little choice. He has very little talent on his team. If he's still needing to use the portal two years from now, he'll be looking for a job.

Portal may work to cherry pick one guy or maybe two occasionally, but it is no way to have long term success.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 3, 2022, 11:38 PM

Dabo won't use it unless there is a real need that can't be addressed in-house. My opinion.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Ohio State would not have beaten us without the transfer

Mar 9, 2021, 7:51 AM

portal. Clear examples that it makes your team better. Bama had the best center in CFB last year. A transfer from FSU (who knew FSU had a good OL?!?!?). I really hope Clemson starts taking elite transfers or we will get left behind.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ohio State would not have beaten us without the transfer

Mar 9, 2021, 7:55 AM

Nor would LSU...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if Dabo would start oversigning

Mar 9, 2021, 8:56 AM

I would have no problem with him not using the portal

But to do neither one ??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic