Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Today in History
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,400

Today in History

Feb 17, 2021, 9:38 AM

Today is the anniversary of one of the most unselfish, greatest human acts of kindness and compassion in the history of man. On this date in 1865 General William Tecumseh Sherman burned down the City of Columbia.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember seeing what today would be a totally non-PC

Feb 17, 2021, 9:48 AM

bumper sticker here in South Carolina in my youth. (A LONG time ago.)

YANKEES 7
REBELS 0
**HALFTIME!**

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Today in History

Feb 17, 2021, 9:49 AM

this was the original dumpster fire

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2021, 12:23 PM

Hey Atlanta wasn't bad either. Unfortunately both cities grew back to be garbage dumps even worse then when Sherman first found them.
Thing is at least Columbia is a "red" state unlike those turn coats in Atlanta.

Feb 17, 2021, 1:24 PM

Maybe we should erect a statue in Clemson to commemorate this day in history.

Feb 17, 2021, 2:27 PM

evidently sherman was a visionary and most likely would have been a Tiger fan.having lived in cola. for 3 long years,i know whereof which i speak.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Sherman let his soldiers do anything.

Feb 17, 2021, 2:30 PM

Rape, pillage, burn peaceful southerners homes. In hindsight this did create an end to the war as it broke the civilians will to keep fighting when this type of warfare was brought to the Deep South.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sherman let his soldiers do anything.

Feb 18, 2021, 3:25 PM

i certainly think that the tactics employed by sherman are to be condemned in no uncertain terms.absolutely nothing to be be proud of when a military force destroys an innocent population.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Folks in Hiroshima and Nagasaki say hi***

Feb 18, 2021, 6:05 PM

Re: Folks in Hiroshima and Nagasaki say hi***

Feb 18, 2021, 11:09 PM

i've often thought that it would have been better to pick out a strictly military installation or a place with a low or even no population density to demonstate the power of our new weapon.not to justify,but the japanese weren't exactly lily white themselves-ala the rape of nanking.

null

They were warned that a “rain of ruin from the air, the like of which has

Feb 19, 2021, 8:41 AM

never been seen on this Earth” would fall on them. They ignored it.

Even after Hiroshima, they refused to believe one bomb did all of that damage, sent government personnel to inspect, and they still refused to surrender.

Americans were also determined to prevent the Soviets from take a hold of Japan which was a factor in dropping the bombs. The Cold War could have had a completely different look had Japan been split like Germany and Korea.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Blame their emperor and dictator who ran the show.

Feb 19, 2021, 8:37 AM [ in reply to Folks in Hiroshima and Nagasaki say hi*** ]

They did it to their own people.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Blame their emperor and dictator who ran the show.

Feb 22, 2021, 1:03 AM

Actually, the military - Navy & Army - ran the show. The emperor was a figurehead then as now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2021, 6:47 AM

A good bit of the destruction was caused by the departing southern troops. They blew up ammo that they couldn't take with them. Same thing happened in Atlanta.

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,400
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic