Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any sport card collectors here?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Any sport card collectors here?

Mar 16, 2021, 5:46 PM

Big hobby of mine but the market has gotten absolutely insane. Prices are literally 1000% markup from a year ago. Any advice on finding for retail price and not secondary scalpers?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any sport card collectors here?

Mar 16, 2021, 5:57 PM

My husband has a large baseball card collection mostly from his childhood and I added to it in the 80s to 1990. Hard to know how to liquidate for a fair price isn't it!

Mar 17, 2021, 12:55 AM

Very hard. New product market

Mar 16, 2021, 6:00 PM

Oh and I see you are talking about aquiring, use to be able to buy a case by ordering from Score or Topps, not even sure who the mfg is today. Do you need a case of 1991 Topps baseball cards?

Mar 16, 2021, 6:04 PM

Love them. Not currently buying any retail due to price but can usually find stuff on eBay a few months later that isn’t so bad. I guess it depends on your risk. Might be worth looking into vintage. Skips all the worthless inserts. I have Topps complete sets from 1975-2020. Trying to get back to my birth year of 71 but $$$.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 16, 2021, 6:55 PM

I have a rookie Ernie Banks and a rookie Johnny Bench (several). Not sure the value. I have three rookie George Brett’s when he went into the Hall of Fame his card value literally tripled. My first purchase was a shoebox at a neighborhood garage sale they were all 60s cards. I ran home to get a quarter for my mom. I’m laughing at them now!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2021, 12:56 AM

My local shops love the old school cards! Might be worth a look to shop them

Mar 18, 2021, 3:57 AM

I just happen to have a pallet of what I call commons from my baseball shop of 25 years. All in 5000 and 3200 ct boxes. When we closed the store in 2014 all the cards were packed up and put in boxes I have no idea what is in the boxes. We had cards from all years 60’s thru 2014. I would say there is close to 300k individual cards est. My wife would like these out of our garage. Any interest?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you have basketball cards from Kobe's

Mar 18, 2021, 8:02 AM

rookie year, I suggest going through those right away - see my post below.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 16, 2021, 9:58 PM

After reading your post earlier, pulled a stack of about 70 Topps cards from the back of a drawer that had forgotten about. Had bought a few packs at random occasionally. Found a 2002 Alex Rodriguez, '64 Aaron reprint, 1999 Mark McGuire, 1999 Barry Bonds All Topps NL team, 1999 Tony Guinn Magic Moments and a 1997 Kris Benson. Between the early 80s and mid 90s, bought Topps sets which I still have and went to a few card shows which seemed to be scheduled every couple of weeks. Have rarely seen one advertised in the last 10 or so years. As a youngster, collected in the late 50s and early 60s along with a number of early 50s cards an older cousin gave me. Unfortunately, when I went overseas, mother thought they would entertain a group of 4 and 5 year olds along with a large box of late 50s early 60s Superman, Batman and other heros comics. The thought of that almost brings on depression.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Mar 17, 2021, 12:56 AM

You might have something there! Thanks for sharing

Mar 16, 2021, 10:59 PM

Don't you now have to pay a random person who is unequivocally certified to grade cards to grade your cards before they are worth something? Sold my collection a few years back at a yard sale.

Mar 17, 2021, 12:57 AM

That’s the new precedent. Good on you

I collected cards when I was a kid.

Mar 16, 2021, 11:40 PM

It was a great hobby then, at the height of its popularity. Card shops and card shows were plentiful. Then the internet became a place to buy and sell, and local card shops and most card shows went the way of the dinosaur.

The hobby also changed a lot too. A move toward much more expensive cards/packs/boxes and rare/one of a kind cards made it less appealing to me. That, plus growing up and having more interests meant I basically stopped collecting.

I have revisited it some since then, mostly to see if what I saved is worth anything (most of it isn’t, thanks to cards during that era being overproduced). I still look on eBay every now and then to see if I like any cards of my favorite player, but most of the stuff there is more than I want to spend. I wish it were easier to complete a “set” of a player’s cards throughout the years but it’s impossible with all of the autographed cards, jersey cards, 1/1 cards, etc. I feel like an outsider now trying to learn all of the new manufacturers and insert cards.

Thanks for starting this thread, it brought up some great memories of collecting as a kid. I get the perception that it’s not nearly as popular (or accessible) today as it was then.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I collected cards when I was a kid.

Mar 17, 2021, 12:54 AM

Thank you for sharing that’s very interesting to hear. I agree with you completely, the high end products and scalpers have completely killed the hobby. Just something that has stuck with me from childhood, I’m a big memorabilia guy. Maybe I need to grow up too lol

If by sport you mean magic the gathering then yess***

Mar 17, 2021, 12:45 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Mar 17, 2021, 1:03 PM

Wait until you old timers (I am an old timer) learn about NFTs. Silly concept, but you know...supply and demand.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/03/what-are-nfts-all-you-need-to-know-about-crypto-collectibles.html

Mar 17, 2021, 4:59 PM

Good grief, I'd never heard of that. A weird idea to me. I'd rather collect something that I can hold in my hand. I'm a collector of vintage ephemera.

A rookie card of Kobe Bryant just sold for

Mar 17, 2021, 8:49 PM

over $70,000 online -it was graded as a 10. My son found one like it that he hopes will grade at 9. It is a clear plastic card that has Kobe holding the ball in one hand and you flip the card and he is in a mirror image with the ball in the other hand. Now all you guys go search your old BB cards.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2021, 11:09 PM

I used to back when I had a gum problem. Thankfully, I’m in recovery.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic