Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Additonal scrimmage nuggets
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Additonal scrimmage nuggets

Mar 27, 2021, 7:26 PM

We aren't allowed at the scrimmages, but that doesn't mean we can't glean some information from sources that are allowed to watch. Here are a few nuggets I've been able to pick up:

One observer told me that Kobe Pace is a "monster" and another said he was a "grown man" while a third said he thinks if you go by the scrimmages and what he's seen, Pace is atop the depth chart. Lyn-J Dixon has missed some time (and missed the scrimmage) and we will see if he's healthy next week (no it's not COVID, just a minor issue). I heard that Chez Mellusi has been really good, and that Will Shipley keeps breaking off long runs and was third-team yesterday. One person told me that Shipley is the "real deal."

Hunter Helms has had a great camp. He doesn't really get to see the first-team defense, but he has thrown 7 TDs in the scrimmages. It's interesting to note that (unofficially, just what I've gathered) that Taisun Phommanchanh has thrown the only other TD pass. DJ doesn't have a TD pass but does have two rushing TDs.

Beaux Collins continues to impress, and caught a long TD pass from Helms Friday. Ajou Ajou is making plays and even though he is still raw in many respects, he knows enough to be a terror and is a nightmare for DBs. I also heard that Joseph Ngata looks better than he has looked since early in fall camp last season. Having him healthy is huge.

The entire offensive line looks better, right down to the third group. Swinney wants 11 who can play (a far cry from last year) and it looks like he has it. Paul Tchio, Mitchell Mayes, Walker Parks, and Hunter Rayburn have all impressed.

The first-team defense is just nasty. I was told that Bryan Bresee is simply unblockable. He gets held every play and still makes plays. I was told he is in the backfield every snap and that he was responsible for a safety Friday. Keep in mind that James Skalski, Baylon Spector, Nolan Turner, KJ Henry and Lannden Zanders haven't played in the scrimmages, and that defense still looks dominant. The good on good (first team vs first team) is "way too much fun to watch."

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Additonal scrimmage nuggets

Mar 27, 2021, 7:41 PM

We aren't allowed at the scrimmages, but that doesn't mean we can't glean some information from sources that are allowed to watch. Here are a few nuggets I've been able to pick up:

One observer told me that Kobe Pace is a "monster" and another said he was a "grown man" while a third said he thinks if you go by the scrimmages and what he's seen, Pace is atop the depth chart. Lyn-J Dixon has missed some time (and missed the scrimmage) and we will see if he's healthy next week (no it's not COVID, just a minor issue). I heard that Chez Mellusi has been really good, and that Will Shipley keeps breaking off long runs and was third-team yesterday. One person told me that Shipley is the "real deal."

Hunter Helms has had a great camp. He doesn't really get to see the first-team defense, but he has thrown 7 TDs in the scrimmages. It's interesting to note that (unofficially, just what I've gathered) that Taisun Phommanchanh has thrown the only other TD pass. DJ doesn't have a TD pass but does have two rushing TDs.

Beaux Collins continues to impress, and caught a long TD pass from Helms Friday. Ajou Ajou is making plays and even though he is still raw in many respects, he knows enough to be a terror and is a nightmare for DBs. I also heard that Joseph Ngata looks better than he has looked since early in fall camp last season. Having him healthy is huge.

The entire offensive line looks better, right down to the third group. Swinney wants 11 who can play (a far cry from last year) and it looks like he has it. Paul Tchio, Mitchell Mayes, Walker Parks, and Hunter Rayburn have all impressed.

The first-team defense is just nasty. I was told that Bryan Bresee is simply unblockable. He gets held every play and still makes plays. I was told he is in the backfield every snap and that he was responsible for a safety Friday. Keep in mind that James Skalski, Baylon Spector, Nolan Turner, KJ Henry and Lannden Zanders haven't played in the scrimmages, and that defense still looks dominant. The good on good (first team vs first team) is "way too much fun to watch."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Additonal scrimmage nuggets***

Mar 27, 2021, 7:44 PM

POTD

Mar 27, 2021, 7:51 PM

Getting me primed for next week @DavidHood

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope both are true, but...

Mar 27, 2021, 8:24 PM

if Breese is in the backfield every play even though he's being held and the O line is still "better" what exactly does that mean? In my mind, I see Rodan in a fight to the death with Godzilla. I hope it's very much like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4kjvFGSZeY

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hope both are true, but...

Mar 27, 2021, 9:11 PM

Bresee is the best DT they'll play against this year. Top 5 pick next year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2021, 7:46 AM

I think he will be at Clemson one more year since you are supposed to do 3 after high school before being draft eligible

Mar 28, 2021, 2:11 PM

Correct.

Thanks for sharing . . .

Mar 27, 2021, 8:28 PM

with your T-net brethren!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2021, 8:41 PM

I mean I’ve already seen enough from DJ to know he’s a beast but I am surprised to hear he doesn’t have a single TD in scrimmages. So either out 1st team D is lightyears better than the second or DJ just had a couple bad days. Either way I’m really not worried about DJ.

Mar 27, 2021, 9:29 PM

He ran for 2 tds, so he took what was there!

Plus he can just hand it to Kobe Pace!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Thanks much for the update! I'm concerned about DJ

Mar 27, 2021, 11:04 PM

About DJ, Dabo said, "we need him to grow". Not exactly glowing praise about his performance so far.

Re: Thanks much for the update! I'm concerned about DJ

Mar 28, 2021, 12:21 AM

Seemed pretty “grown” last season, but troll on. ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks much for the update! I'm concerned about DJ

Mar 28, 2021, 8:16 AM [ in reply to Thanks much for the update! I'm concerned about DJ ]

MoCity said:

About DJ, Dabo said, "we need him to grow". Not exactly glowing praise about his performance so far.

So if you had a talented Soph QB, would you give him glowing praise causing him to relax or would you use your comments to push him to be his best? I will hang up and listen

Mar 27, 2021, 11:45 PM

Is Spiller really in charge of building the RB depth chart? I truly don’t want to see another “Rencher 2nd string” thing again.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Rencher should be a GA IMHO -- he is a good man

Mar 28, 2021, 1:25 AM

taking a schollie from a more deserving younger and better player.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rencher should be a GA IMHO -- he is a good man

Mar 28, 2021, 1:06 PM

I believe Rencher is a "super Sr" which means his scholarship does not count against this year's 85 limit so he did not prevent us from signing anyone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, he's just stealing reps***

Mar 28, 2021, 1:23 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2021, 12:10 AM

DH, I think it moved. I love you but not in that way.

Thank you David!

Mar 28, 2021, 1:21 AM

I really hope to see the Tchio's and Mayes' of the world starting with McFadden and Parks. Last year's OL guys will only take us as far the ACC championship because they can't become more athletic.

As for RB, sounds like Pace is bringing it like Gallman did a few years ago. LJD should get his reps eventually but love to hear Mellusi and Shipley are seriously challenging.

Bresee and Murphy will make a run at 1st/2nd team All-Americans as top Tiger players IMHO -- grateful for your work -- you give many of us alums and fans much to look forward to!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thank you David!

Mar 28, 2021, 7:19 AM

Hopefully Rayburn is the center.

Mar 28, 2021, 7:28 AM

Kobe Pace is interesting to me. He looks, physically, like what Alabama usually has, whereas Shipley will probably remind CJ Spiller of, well, CJ Spiller. I also really, really like Chez Mellusi. Just no-nonsense, slashes it up behind the tackles, reminds me so much of Wayne Gallman, maybe even a little bigger and stronger. Runs angry. Also really curious to get a look at Mafah but he's probably really a year away because of that ACL injury.

We got some backs, I think, even with Etienne departed. Hopefully the reports of our OL being much-improved are indeed correct.

Tasty nuggets Mr Hood. I look forward to the tidbits you serve up as well!***

Mar 28, 2021, 7:34 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2021, 8:39 AM

Is there anything new with Bresee being held? He was held what seemed like every play last year. And it was blatant in many cases at that.

It honestly is quite disgusting that the college game allows blatant holding these days. It is clear there is a directive not to call it.

Ndamukong Suh

Mar 28, 2021, 9:15 AM

You have partly explained why the guy was at war so many years as a young linemen ... very tired of being held and cheated every play ... plus Suh was crazy.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic