Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So the Texans tell Watson,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 90
| visibility 1

So the Texans tell Watson,

Mar 5, 2021, 9:23 AM

"It doesn't matter that we didn't honor our word by letting you into the coaching decision making process, and it doesn't matter if you really don't want to play here anymore.. We, the Texans, are prepared to force you to sit out a year. We will NOT trade you in spite of us firing the head coach you agreed to play for, in spite of us not not honoring our word, and in spite of us not being capable of putting together a solid franchise. You either play under our incompetent and ethically poor decisions, or you sit out a year until you can become a free agent".

If I'm DeShawn Watson I say, "eff you. I'll ride out my millions and sit out a year. I've been going hard since Junior High, and I could actually use a year off, on your meal ticket".

The Texans need Deshaun way more than Deshaun needs the Texans. In fact, DeShawn doesn't need the Texans AT ALL.

EFF U, Texans.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So the Texans tell Watson,

Mar 5, 2021, 9:28 AM

Link?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That May All Be at least Close to the Truth

Mar 5, 2021, 9:29 AM

But the man has a contract that he, being of sound mind and body, signed. It's a commitment. He has to work within the confines of whatever the contract says - or go to court to get it changed.

I don't like it, but to say it's "wrong" because we think it sucks is a fools reaction - no personal affront intended.

By the way, I'd sit it out too if it were me and I was already a gozillionaire like he is.

Wonder what the circumstances are to get DW4 to this point?

Mar 5, 2021, 10:06 AM

Watson always seems to be a mature, responsible, respectful and reasonable young man. It would seem something significant must have occurred to warrant breaking his contract. His character and work ethic have been proven both at Clemson and with the Texans.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It might be as simple as - he's not used to losing on the

Mar 5, 2021, 10:11 AM

football field.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think that's it

Mar 5, 2021, 12:54 PM

He's been with the Texans long enough to get used to losing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is the first year he was healthy and they missed the

Mar 5, 2021, 3:45 PM

playoffs Ace...Houston also won their division 4 of the last 5 years before this season's abortion...The ignorance here is on full display

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That May All Be at least Close to the Truth

Mar 5, 2021, 10:56 AM [ in reply to That May All Be at least Close to the Truth ]

The contract was signed by DW in good faith with the belief that he would be consulted in future hiring decisions. It's like a common person being hired to a job with a verbal commitment that the company will hire two other people to help her/him out, and then not following through. You then have a moral right to change jobs even if it means sitting out a year. The only mistake that Deshaun made was to not get this commitment in writing.

How do you know that?

Mar 6, 2021, 8:17 PM

Either way a contract is a contract.

Morality?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Contracts...

Mar 7, 2021, 6:45 PM

Are a two-way street.

Eggs Actley!!***

Mar 7, 2021, 6:44 PM [ in reply to Re: That May All Be at least Close to the Truth ]

Re: That May All Be at least Close to the Truth

Mar 8, 2021, 5:12 AM [ in reply to Re: That May All Be at least Close to the Truth ]

If it doesn't say it in his contract he has no argument. He signed up to play for the Texans even after they traded Nuk. I hate it for him but a contract is a contract.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t know if any of us has seen his contract

Mar 5, 2021, 1:38 PM [ in reply to That May All Be at least Close to the Truth ]

I suspect it’s is a complex, multi-layered document that anticipates possible actions by all parties involved. I also suspect that DW has solid legal advice that lead him to chose this path. If he’s violating the terms of his contract with the Texans, he will lose and if they violated the terms of the contract, they will.

I’m not an attorney but I would think that if the Texans have represented themselves as “a football team” that they are in serious trouble.

CONTRACT SMONTRACT...

Mar 7, 2021, 6:44 PM [ in reply to That May All Be at least Close to the Truth ]

Houston went against their word.

The sooner Deshaun can get out that mess the better. If "sooner" equals a year or easy money, then fine.

Nothing worse than a man or organization who can't keep their word, whether spoken or written.

EFF THE TEXANS!!

Mar 5, 2021, 9:33 AM

My thoughts exactly.....DW4 is only 25 years old. Give the Texans back whatever he owes them, take a year off to let his body heal and sign with any team you want. The Texans are in a no-win situation....the said part is they are too dumb to realize it.

Mar 5, 2021, 9:45 AM

Not saying you are incorrect, but why would he be able to get out of his multi-year contract simply by taking one year off?

Mar 5, 2021, 9:53 AM

Don't care for the Texans organization but a player should not be involved in a coach search. An employee should not tell their employer who he needs to hire. Just my opinion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 5, 2021, 10:11 AM

That's funny. I'm an employee, but I regularly interview people for openings at my employer, and I tell my employer which, if any, of the people I interviewed should get hired. I would guess that lots and lots of hiring managers are employees. Isn't the Texan's GM just an employee, too?

I'm of two minds on DW4s situation. He did sign a contract and I expect him to honor it, despite having been misled (unless there was some sort of fraud involved). OTOH, there's nothing wrong with, after the situation has changed, to have real questions about a contract and request being let out of the contract. If both parties can agree on tearing up the contract, that's allowed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 5, 2021, 10:32 AM

Thats a terrible analogy. Nobody gets to decide who their boss is going to be. You interviewing for bag boy positions at the Piggly Wiggly then telling your boss who he should hire has nothing to do with this.

Mar 5, 2021, 1:19 PM

How many people in the business world make more than their boss? The coach and GM of an organization are less valuable and important than QB. This isn't college. The coach is more of a leader than a boss. He is coaching grown men.

Mar 5, 2021, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: So the Texans tell Watson, ]

They asked for his input, the didn't listen or involve him. Last straw type of deal I believe because they did so many stupid things before. He had enough.

Mar 5, 2021, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: So the Texans tell Watson, ]

You can't apply ordinary employee/employer relationship theory to this. They're 1099 type relationships, and the contracts aren't your average agreements. Plus, this is the entertainment business, not manufacturing for example. He is the part of the product being sold, and has leverage. Both sides have power, it's not all on the owner side.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 5, 2021, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Re: So the Texans tell Watson, ]

That is an interesting theory. So employees should never conduct interviews for potential hires. So how would companies get new employees?

Mar 6, 2021, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Re: So the Texans tell Watson, ]

Employers might be far better off if they listened to their employees a bit more.

Mar 5, 2021, 9:53 AM [ in reply to Re: So the Texans tell Watson, ]

Retirement. If you take a year off you’re considered retired. I could be wrong.

Mar 5, 2021, 10:18 AM

I don't think that helps. If he retires he forfeits the salary. If he comes back next season, he's still under contract with the Texans. They have him by the balls.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How many years do you think the Texans will go without a QB?

Mar 5, 2021, 10:30 AM

He knows that playing for the Texans next year could very well end or shorten his career. He has already won the PR battle by a mile.

Deshaun has the greater leverage.

Re: How many years do you think the Texans will go without a QB?

Mar 5, 2021, 11:02 AM

1) How do you figure Watson has won the PR battle? A sizeable number of people who post here about it think he should honor his contract.

2) Even if Watson had public support, why would you assume Texans management is concerned with PR?

Mar 5, 2021, 11:18 AM

1 Have you been asleep? He's won the "PR battle" in a landslide. You think a few people on this forum represent anything? Here in Houston, I estimate it's 95% to 5% in his favor. For NFL fans in general, it's also lopsided.

2 Last time I checked, the revenue stream of NFL teams included gate receipts and merchandising. That is why the team should be concerned with PR.

DW has all the leverage. The uglier this gets and the longer it drags on, the more radioactive they become to other players. If he sits out the season, NFL players will never forgive the Texans. Not only that, they are way over the cap, have traded away top draft picks and absolutely must trade him to replenish their stock.

This is a no-win for the Texans. They can move closer to breaking even by maximizing their return.

Mar 5, 2021, 12:06 PM

I suppose if the Texans give in to his trade demands, you can say they buckled to the PR. If they hold firm, I guess they really weren't concerned the with PR ramifications. Time will tell if they "absolutely must trade him."

Why do you assume NFL players will rally behind Watson? You think the rest of the league, guys who may or may not be content with their situation, expect Watson should honor his contract, just as they are?

Mar 6, 2021, 9:48 PM

While I am a DW fan, I cannot agree with his position here.
Sure, he can ask for a trade. But do it quietly.
He signed the contract, gets paid, and he should honor his commitment.

Employers said he could provide input and they heard what he had to say. No employer will promise to hire whoever their employees choose. They hire who they believe will best suit the organization.

I don’t understand DW pouting and threatening to take his ball and going home.

Times have changed so much. Players used to go to teams and be great teammates and were committed to the org. Sure there will be coaches you don’t like, but you can leave after your contract expires.
Now, if you don’t like a winning season, quit.
Don’t like your team, quit.
They don’t hire someone you wanted, quit.l
Don’t get enough ##### thrown your way, quit.

Part of the reason Houston is not good is due to DW. Clearly not due to his play - but they traded away picks to move up and get him. Then they traded away more picks to try and protect him. They were over the salary cap and I suspect that was the real reason Hopkins was moved, to create room for salaries to further support DW.

Simply not hiring who he wants, is not enough to act this way.

How much quieter can be be?

Mar 8, 2021, 2:21 AM

LOL! Have you actually been paying attention?

Mar 8, 2021, 2:19 AM [ in reply to Re: How many years do you think the Texans will go without a QB? ]

I never said other players would rally around Deshaun. Don't put words in my mouth. I said they would never forgive the Texans, meaning a significant number of them, not 100%.

You truly have no clue how the NFL works. I say that as an observation, not as criticism.

Who will play QB for the Texans and how many games will they

Mar 5, 2021, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Re: How many years do you think the Texans will go without a QB? ]

win if Deshaun sits out after they were unwilling to trade him for another QB or draft pick to get another QB?

Re: Who will play QB for the Texans and how many games will they

Mar 5, 2021, 12:58 PM

I'd actually argue they'd be better off if Watson sits next year. They aren't going to make the playoffs even if Watson plays all 16 games, but he's good enough to help them win a few extra games and maybe finish up at 5-11 or something which would give them a 7th or 8th pick in the draft next year most likely. Without him there's a good chance they could end up with the worst overall record or be at least one of the 3 worst teams and end up with the #1, #2, or #3 overall pick in the draft.

Re: Who will play QB for the Texans and how many games will they

Mar 5, 2021, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Who will play QB for the Texans and how many games will they ]

Watson only won four. Not a far fall for a replacement QB. Not saying it is his fault. Just saying. My opinion is he should honor his commitment. Team had terrible management when he signed it, so that should not be an excuse. He easily could have done like Cousins and got paid big $ on the franchise tag. I am huge DW Fan so I am in his corner either way, just saying I personally would honor the contract I signed.

Mar 5, 2021, 5:13 PM [ in reply to Re: So the Texans tell Watson, ]

No, they don't. The contract can be voided after 1 year. Watson actually has all the power after he sits for a year. He could actually walk away after 1 season and Texans get nothing, they are plying russian roulette with a loaded gun, they have no winning spin!

Who told you that? If he doesn't play this year, the

Mar 5, 2021, 5:33 PM

contract will just roll over to next year and then he will get 2021 money in 2022 instead of what was slated for 2022

Mar 5, 2021, 6:29 PM [ in reply to Re: So the Texans tell Watson, ]

Lol what?

This is not even close to being correct.

Mar 5, 2021, 7:19 PM [ in reply to Re: So the Texans tell Watson, ]

Not sure who authorized your username, but nothing about what you said is "the truth"

Mar 6, 2021, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Re: So the Texans tell Watson, ]

Not true at all.

Mar 5, 2021, 9:58 AM

Who is DeShawn?

Watson has learned a harsh lesson that perhaps he should

Mar 5, 2021, 10:02 AM

already have known. When it comes to business dealings in the NFL, if it is not expressly written into your contract, you have absolutely no control over it, regardless of someone's "word". Players are shifted around with even less regard than chess pieces now. Higher and higher profile players are being cut or traded to comply with salary cap restraints. In chess, you would never trade a knight for a pawn willingly, but NFL teams are routinely doing the equivalent of that now due to budget restraints.

Sadly, the contract that Deshaun signed is probably the thing that will make it difficult for a team to trade for him. His salary will be a huge salary cap hit for any team that takes him on. From that standpoint, it does look like the Panthers intend to be a player in that drama, they have been cleaning house to clear as much cap space as humanly possible, with an eye toward making the Texans a huge package deal offer for him. I don't think it will work. In my mind, only two teams have a shot.

1) Jets: They would have to include Darnold and some 1's, it would make no sense for them not to include Darnold if they go after Watson. Texans would probably just prefer a whole bunch of 1's and some defensive starter talent.

2) Dolphins: They seem to be in a great spot with a lot of draft capital to spend, but the question would be, does Houston attach enough value to Tua that they would want to take him on as their QB of the future.

Every other team is a longshot, as they either do not have a tradable starting QB, or high enough draft stock for the Texans to be able to draft one with a traded pick.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watson has learned a harsh lesson that perhaps he should

Mar 5, 2021, 1:00 PM

Yep, it's going to be really hard for a team to trade for him IMO. Not only would that team be taking on his huge salary, but they'd likely have to give up multiple 1st round draft picks and perhaps even some middle round draft picks on top of that. Having a team take on that much salary and then not having a 1st round pick over the next 2-3 years would likely result in that team ending up in a similar situation as Houston.

Actually, that is incorrect. Watson's cap hit is $16M next

Mar 5, 2021, 1:22 PM

year, which is ranked 16th among NFL QBs and is lower than Teddy Bridgewater's $23M. That's a savings of $7M for the Panthers next year if they trade TB for DW.

Re: Actually, that is incorrect. Watson's cap hit is $16M next

Mar 6, 2021, 2:31 PM

My bad, I went to hit reply and didn’t pay attention that my finger was on the downvote button on the opposite side of the reply button.

I don’t remember his exact numbers, but his salary jumps to over 20 million the year after, and I believe around 30 million the year after that.

Mar 5, 2021, 10:08 AM

So, let's say you had Watson's ear. Do you tell him to stick to his guns, sit out and give up 10 million this year? Next year he'll still be under contract with the Texans. You gonna advise him to sit out next season too and lose another 25mil? How about the 37mil he's set to get from the Texans in 2023?

I doubt seriously his contract gives him a say in coaching hires. Maybe someone went back on their word to let him pick the next coach. Is it worth giving up 70 or so million dollars in the prime of his career?

Mar 5, 2021, 3:28 PM

That would be at least $70 million of cap availability to Houston that sits doing nothing for the next three seasons. In the meantime how does Houston find a replacement for DW4? They have the worst cap situation in the league. Houston has no first or second round draft picks this year. They can't trade for a decent quarterback. They can't sign a free agent quarterback for real money. Who would play for the Texans?

wAtsOn ShOuLd sHuT uP aNd PlAy***

Mar 5, 2021, 10:12 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

It's too early in the day, I can't decode this.

Mar 5, 2021, 10:13 AM

:(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know much about NFL salary caps and such - so

Mar 5, 2021, 10:16 AM

if DW had signed a contract for only $100 million instead of $150 million - would the Texans be in a better position to pay for better players around him?

Yes, but that almost never happens, especially with a young

Mar 5, 2021, 10:50 AM

player on a 2nd contract. You occasionally see older players close to retirement signing for less than market value to chase rings.

Yeah - I remember ARod complaining that the Rangers

Mar 5, 2021, 10:55 AM

were bad after he signed a $250 million contract (basically assuring they couldn't afford anymore good players).

I have to put DW in the same category here...

Re: Yeah - I remember ARod complaining that the Rangers

Mar 5, 2021, 1:26 PM

Chiefs seem to afford good players

We'll have to see what happens. Sammy Watkins basically

Mar 6, 2021, 3:11 PM

said "I've already got more money than I can spend" and decided to stay with the Chiefs for much less money to stay on a winner.

I don't follow/understand the NFL salary cap - but I would expect Mahommes contract to start weighing them down.

Mar 5, 2021, 10:59 AM

Two Words

Turf Toe

DW is playing with house money right now...

Mar 5, 2021, 11:32 AM

and he can probably afford to go the "sit out" route in 2021 but drawing that line in the sand for any long will start to get really expensive for him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Mar 5, 2021, 11:41 AM

Bull sh*t take...If they don’t trade him he will play...he will lose $20m if he sits out this next season...Houston has all the leverage and he knows it.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

The flip side _ Watson can show up, play half heartedly...

Mar 5, 2021, 11:53 AM

And collect a full paycheck. Small injuries could both hinder and linger.

And it would be really hard to prove contract non-performance. And if tge Texans tried, good luck with future free agency. Watson and his Agent have leverage.

Re: The flip side _ Watson can show up, play half heartedly...

Mar 5, 2021, 12:09 PM

In all the possible scenarios this thing could go, I would find it very hard to believe Watson would be advised to show up, cash the checks, and basically feign injuries or otherwise not play when he's capable. You think that kind of stunt makes it more or less likely some team is going to give him big money?

Re: The flip side _ Watson can show up, play half heartedly...

Mar 5, 2021, 1:24 PM [ in reply to The flip side _ Watson can show up, play half heartedly... ]

Did you pay any attention to Watson at Clemson and his young time in the league? You truly think he will half @ss it? He's not wired like that...

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Not likely- but that’s why he requested a trade. The unknown

Mar 5, 2021, 2:45 PM

is what are the causes for the seemingly intense hard feelings.

Watson took a physical pounding and mental beat down last year. Who knows what was said on top of that. If the owner made it personal, then perhaps a line was crossed that would justify uncharacteristic behavior.

Seems he would sit out and avoid the wear & tear of the season ... even with lost pay. Texans would be forced to pretty much write off the season. Both parties lose.

No he won't. Deshaun was sacked 49 times last year.

Mar 5, 2021, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Re: So the Texans tell Watson, ]

That is second by 1 sack to Carson Wentz and more than double the number of sacks that Tom Brady, Patrick Mahommes, Aaron Rodgers were subjected to.

Deshaun understands that playing for the Texans next year could be catastrophic to his career.

Then he shouldn't have signed a 5 year deal***

Mar 5, 2021, 12:14 PM

That would have been really stupid, which Deshaun is not.

Mar 5, 2021, 1:04 PM

Things change. The contract has provisions that dictate who he can be traded to and what happens should he choose to sit out.

Re: That would have been really stupid, which Deshaun is not.

Mar 5, 2021, 1:10 PM

Such as?

You can find them easily on line. Skipping minicamp=$93K

Mar 5, 2021, 1:16 PM

Skipping training camp=$50K/day. Skipping games=$600K/game. etc.

So, as you can see, the contract addresses those issues.

So signing a 5 year deal that could drag out to 8 with

Mar 5, 2021, 2:04 PM [ in reply to That would have been really stupid, which Deshaun is not. ]

the franchise tag and transition tag and then deciding 6 months later that he not only wants his cake, but now he wants to eat it too is a SMART decision? Try removing the Tiger aspect from the scenario and tell me it's a good decision

Yes, of course it is.

Mar 5, 2021, 6:57 PM

Teams cut players with recent contracts all of the time. Coaches with contracts take new jobs or get fired all of the time.

can you give me an apples to apples comparison, or was that

Mar 5, 2021, 6:59 PM

the best you could come up with?

Re: So signing a 5 year deal that could drag out to 8 with

Mar 6, 2021, 3:00 PM [ in reply to So signing a 5 year deal that could drag out to 8 with ]

Watson has a non tag clause in his contract and it’s fully guaranteed.

Mar 5, 2021, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Re: So the Texans tell Watson, ]

Will it not be up to Deshaun on how he plays if he does decide to play; just saying.

He may not throw is body around as much or take as many hits, which will lead to weaker stats which will lead to less trade value for the Texans next year.

Advantage Deshaun.

No doubt Deshaun is in a frustrating situation.

Mar 5, 2021, 1:18 PM

I think it's crappy that the Texans offered to let him be part of the coaching search, and not only ignored his input but made a decision without him. But at the end of the day, players aren't required to be part of those decisions. In fact, in 99.9% of cases, players aren't involved in those decisions.

I don't blame him for being angry. Especially since this is on top of trading his favorite receiving target in Hopkins, and not giving him a good supporting cast needed to be successful.

However, he did sign the contract. Most contracts don't stipulate that the team allow the player to be part of personnel decisions, nor do they promise that specific players, coaches, general managers, or teammates be hired/signed.

In other words, Deshaun signed a contract and he should honor it. If for some reason the Texans aren't honoring the contract, Deshaun should pursue legal counsel. However, if the Texans are fulfilling their end of the deal, then Deshaun should be a man and honor his end of the deal.

After all, he's making an insane amount of money playing a sport. It's not a bad deal at all, even on a team like the Texans. Millions of people would love to be in his position.

Deshaun is a good guy who I respect a lot. I want him to be on a good team. I understand his frustration. But I am afraid he is an example of a good guy who is a victim of not only poor team management, but also an entitled generation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

OK. So he plays. What’s the likely outcome for the Texans?

Mar 5, 2021, 3:15 PM

What about Watson?

Are the Texans a playoff team in 2021?
Is Watson a NFL pro-bowler in 2021?
Are the business and personal relationships somehow mended at the end of the season?

My answers are “No” to all. Texans will struggle to win 5 games. Let’s assume Watson plays acceptable but not as good as he did last year. His performance on a bad team in 2020 was remarkable. The toll of playing on a bad team again starts to show in 2021. Maybe he gets injured. Watson gets paid but maybe no longer considered a top 5 QB, maybe top 10 or 12? His trade value drops. The strained relationships with the Texan’s front office are no better.

Watson trade value is likely better now than a year from now. Seems the Texans are just delaying the inevitable by not trading now.

Of course, maybe I’m wrong and the Texans win the 2021 Super Bowl and Watson is the MVP.

Oh, I think the outcome will likely be bad for the Texans

Mar 5, 2021, 3:36 PM

if Deshaun stays on the team. The chemistry will surely be less than ideal. I agree with your "no" answer to all three questions.

I agree that the best scenario for all involved at this point is for Deshaun to be traded. Deshaun would get out of a crummy situation for him, and the Texans would rid themselves of a disgruntled superstar who no longer wants to be there.

With that said, I also don't see how Deshaun sitting out a year benefits anyone. He loses a year of productive football, and likely a year of salary. The Texans are without their franchise quarterback. Plus, from Deshaun's perspective, not playing for a year wouldn't help his skills nor would it be as appealing to teams who might want him.

My post above was more about the fact that Deshaun signed a contract and he should honor it, because it's the right thing to do - regardless of feeling betrayed by the franchise.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Oh, I think the outcome will likely be bad for the Texans

Mar 6, 2021, 2:03 PM

He signed the contract. Spot the ball.

Mar 5, 2021, 3:13 PM

Go out and throw 10 interceptions on purpose in every practice so they will bench you. Then you still get paid.

Mar 5, 2021, 3:30 PM

or you sit out a year until you can become a free agent".

EFF U, Texans.

He won't be a free agent in a year

He would have been eligible for FA this coming season if he

Mar 5, 2021, 3:43 PM

hadn't signed the 5 year extension

Re: He would have been eligible for FA this coming season if he

Mar 5, 2021, 3:46 PM

He would have been tagged for 3 years...there's no way a franchise let's a player like DW walk.

Regardless, the OP's suggestion that he could sit for 1 year and be a FA is false.

Mar 5, 2021, 4:26 PM

I think I saw that even if they fine him to the max Deshaun still makes $6 million next year...to not get crushed and sit at home on my couch.

I think I'd be fine with that, if I were Deshaun.

If Houston wants to play hardball under those circumstances, I think I'd let them. Why would I play for an organization and an owner that had already broken its word to me and flat lied to my face, especially when over here in Tampa here's Tom Brady winning Super Bowls essentially acting not just as co-GM but also as co-OC? In the modern NFL, you're not some employee, you're the QB of a franchise, and it is not just your job to say "sir, yes, sir." You are invested. And if you're not, the franchise doesn't have a prayer anyway. Deshaun was looking to build something there; the problem was he obviously feels there's nothing to build on because he doesn't trust the team or the owner. I don't blame him.

Houston was beyond dumb, blowing up their relationship with him. And trying to leverage him is just going to make him even madder.

100% on Deshaun's side on this. I've never once doubted the guy's character or integrity for a second and I'm not going to start now. This is a guy who gave his first NFL paycheck to the ladies in the team cafeteria who had just lost their homes to Hurricane Harvey. He didn't have to do that but that's always been who Deshaun Watson is, and that's exactly why the team always responded to him - from the top on down - because he was way more than just some athlete out for himself.

If he signs a contract and then doesn't honor it then he

Mar 5, 2021, 5:36 PM

has no integrity...If a former Gamecock/Bulldog/Buckeye was in his exact situation, would you still be ok with his actions?

Re: If he signs a contract and then doesn't honor it then he

Mar 6, 2021, 1:29 PM

CM Shack® said:

has no integrity...If a former Gamecock/Bulldog/Buckeye was in his exact situation, would you still be ok with his actions?

There is WAYYYY too much loyalty toward a company going on in this thread.

I'm glad for the folks who've never had issues with management but speaking from a side of being screwed over from being loyal to a workplace, I got no problem with what DW4 is doing here. At least he can still make bank in his situation.

Most of us don't get the same advantage because we have bills and family to provide for so we aren't afforded being able to take the same risks when a workplace wrongs us by sitting out or voicing an opinion. But if I had the leverage DW4 did I'd do the same.

Life is WAAAAAY too grey to make circumstances like this a black and white, right and wrong, he has no integrity if he doesn't do this kind of issue.

DW4 is a fine person but I highly doubt anything would suggest he doesn't have integrity if he doesn't play another down as a Texan.

Life is complicated and I'm sure most on this board have had to do something at one point or another that went against their grain despite "doing the right thing" because THAT IS LIFE.

Sometimes you have to be seen as the bad guy if it means a better life for you (reasonably speaking)

Like I said, if he were a Gamecock, we would be hearing a

Mar 6, 2021, 1:39 PM

different tune about his actions and if you can't see it, that's on you guy

Re: Like I said, if he were a Gamecock, we would be hearing a

Mar 6, 2021, 3:50 PM

You're absolutely right. If this was a player from anywhere else, all the people on here railing on and on about DW's integrity and character (when the fact is they don't know anymore about him personally than they do any other NFL player), would then be railing about how this failure to honor his word reflects on the college program he played for.

Mar 6, 2021, 5:39 PM

AFDAWG said:

You're absolutely right. If this was a player from anywhere else, all the people on here railing on and on about DW's integrity and character (when the fact is they don't know anymore about him personally than they do any other NFL player), would then be railing about how this failure to honor his word reflects on the college program he played for.

Don't really care about a lying dog's opinion on what Clemson fans think about a fellow Clemson Graduate. However, if you can expound more on why 1980's inbred racism caused a first round draft choice who is a Georgia Native to flee for his life to a Northern School that would be more up your alley.

Mar 6, 2021, 6:56 PM

I'm a lying "Dawg" not lying "dog." Next time ask one of the others sitting around the meth cooker with you to explain it.

Mar 6, 2021, 5:04 PM

If he sits out the year will push forward. So if he has 4 years now he would still have 4 years left. But Houston gets nothing and i believe they would trade him before that happens. Fins fan here. We are willing to give them back the 3rd pick for Watson tho.

The Texans are cheesy ...

Mar 6, 2021, 7:01 PM

He should end up on a nice team. Perhaps he can go to Tampa Bay cause Tom Brady is not going to last forever ... but then again ....

He never should have signed that contract!

Mar 6, 2021, 7:51 PM

:)

Re: He never should have signed that contract!

Mar 6, 2021, 9:37 PM

Exactly. Not sure the point of the thread. DW is not going anywhere. If you think otherwise just read the details of the contract. It's a 4 year extension for 156 million. That's on top of the two he has remaining for a total of 6 more years. That figure is split between base, roster bonus, and a hefty 27 million dollar signing bonus. He's already been paid a portion of the signing bonus which he will repay should he choose to sit. As for cap space in a trade, it's only 15.94 million in 2021 but then jumps to 40.4 million in 2022. Consensus among the NFL trade experts say his value in a trade is 2 #1 picks, 2 #2 picks, plus a proven position player (or less likely a QB for the obvious reason that the other team needs a QB). So who has that combination of draft picks and cap space? Maybe the Jags or Jets, or maybe nobody. So it's the same as the Russell Wilson situation - the combination of the players value plus the cap space make a trade nearly impossible. Houston is not giving away one of the top 5 franchise QB's in the game (that's what he is rated - combination of performance and # of projected years remaining) just to make someone happy. Wish I could be in a miserable job making 40 million a year. Things are tough all over.

Replies: 90
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic