Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does anyone remember VPI vs VMI at Victory Stadium in
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Does anyone remember VPI vs VMI at Victory Stadium in

Feb 28, 2021, 9:16 PM

Roanoke on Thanksgiving Days? I seem to remember that being a big tradition.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Re: Does anyone remember VPI vs VMI at Victory Stadium in

Feb 28, 2021, 9:35 PM

Yes, you have a good memory! Many years ago VPI, VMI, William & Mary, Richmond, and the University of Virginia I believe were referred to as the "Big Five" for college football in the state. My, how times have changed!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does anyone remember VPI vs VMI at Victory Stadium in

Feb 28, 2021, 10:51 PM

sure do. It was a big deal

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My Dad grew up in Roanoke in the 1920's and

Mar 1, 2021, 5:16 AM

30's and related how his family would gather for the T-Day games between VMI and VPI (VT.)

An uncle and aunt, who lived in Charleston, WV, would arrive by train for the week, his uncle being one of VPI's early alumni and head of an alumni club, and he would have tickets for the entire family. It was a dressy affair...more of a social outing in those days...with the ladies usually pulling for VMI, the men for VPI. He said the ladies thought the VMI cadets looked good in their uniforms; hence, their support. Many men carried flasks in coat pockets, passing them among each other, while the ladies sat dressed as if they were attending a fashion show.

The games were typically in the afternoon after which the family enjoyed a stretched-out T-Day meal. Said the games were highlights of the year, especially as the teams and fans arrived by trains, then swarming the city.

As I recall, I believe the tradition was carried on for quite a number of years with the games being played in two stadiums over the stretch of time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My Dad grew up in Roanoke in the 1920's and

Mar 1, 2021, 9:11 AM

Thnks for that background. I sort of remember going to the game in the 50’s.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic