Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
With the announcement of Justyn Ross to the slot
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

With the announcement of Justyn Ross to the slot

Mar 2, 2021, 8:01 PM

coupled with Etienne graduating (and the obvious drop in talent), it's got me thinking: Will we see more 4 WR sets this year?

In the past we've run, by far, mostly 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE & 3 WR).

With WR being the obvious strength in 2021 season, maybe try to get more of that on the field??

I'm thinking we could see a lot 01 personnel (1 TE & 4 WR). Williams, Ross, Galloway, Ngata and Ladson would be a handful.

I wouldn't expect a wholesale change to this philosophy, but I do think we could see it to become more dynamic, more multiple, and more unpredictable....which could be very useful at the end of the season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OL will have to make a MASSIVE improvement if we won't

Mar 2, 2021, 8:03 PM

be using a TE to block

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: With the announcement of Justyn Ross to the slot

Mar 2, 2021, 8:23 PM

No, IMHO. Tony seems a lot more at home in 11 and we may actually go the other way and go more 12-personnel now that he's coaching the TE's, and especially since we landed Jake Birningstool to go along with two really top-notch veteran TE's in Galloway and Davis Allen.

I actually think we see a lot more of the TE's than we're used to this year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 3, 2021, 4:19 PM

Agreed - we should have the personnel to run crossing/rub routes with the TE and slot receiver. We might even try my wish for a 3TE set, which could be used for run, or to flood the seam-to-flat with pass routes..... With the right personnel, I think the 3TE offense could be worked into a good RPO series, which could cause the secondary to expect it and open up the weak side for WR deep routes.

Hope it works, 6'4" Ross in the slot****

Mar 2, 2021, 9:25 PM

Mar 3, 2021, 11:24 AM

Ross was certainly one of the better WRs in the country before injury. If he can shake the rust off, he can be a serious weapon. The move to Slot is interesting. As for running 01, what is DJ's ability and/or strength as a runner/scrambler?

Mar 3, 2021, 11:59 AM

DJ is a solid runner and someone I expect will be used in 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 situations a good bit. He's a bigger body, harder to bring down, but likely not as elusive as a Watson - I compare him more to a Tajh Boyd or a Ben Roethlisberger.

Mar 3, 2021, 1:09 PM

DJ is a solid runner and someone I expect will be used in 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 situations a good bit.

Would y'all run him in 3rd/4th & short from 01 group?

Keep guessing Kirby.

Mar 3, 2021, 1:13 PM

lol
your not fooling anyone

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Mar 3, 2021, 12:09 PM

We will be very good at RB so we wont see much empty back fields. Would not be surprised if we see more tight end being the talent we also have there and the ability to expose the center of the field with all our WR's. All will come down to the o-line being able to give DJ time to let routes open and open holes for our RB's to run through. If the O-line gets stronger our offense will be impossible to defend. DJ is a bigger thicker version of Boyd and will be very hard to wrap up and tackle.

Mar 3, 2021, 12:44 PM

I would love to see a bit of 12 personnel that flexes to 5 wide with Shipley out of the backfield and Ross or Ajou being a 2nd TE. Put those skill guys on the field and run hurry-up and see how many mismatches you can exploit.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic