Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Indulge me, please. Clemson received another Angel
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Indulge me, please. Clemson received another Angel

Apr 13, 2021, 7:12 AM

I read Tigernet every day, but don't post much unless it is Pregame Show related. But I am always warmed in the heart by prayer requests or personal tidbits of great Clemson people that no longer remain with us.

Clemson University and Clemson Athletics received an angel as my mom lost her long battle with Alzheimer's.

Shirley Rhymer was the only member of her family that was not a Clemson graduate (husband and each of her 3 children are). But our combined love of Clemson could not match hers.

Mom never, and I mean never, missed a Clemson game if she could go and then never, and I mean ever, missed the broadcast if she could not go. She preferred the radio broadcast with Jim and then Pete and then Don. I don't think she ever missed a minute of a Tiger Pregame Show until she got sick.

Dubbed "Mama Rhymer" by Roy Philpott, she provided food for those first few years of the Tiger Pregame Show on WCCP.

She loved Clemson win or lose.

As irony would have it, she fell in the stands at a Clemson game in 2012 that resulted in us having to place her in a assisted living facility for the remainder of her life on Earth. For her last day not hospitalized or in an assisted living facility to be inside of Death Valley watching her beloved Tigers play football is a gift to us.

Two lessons mom gave me about Clemson.
1. You do not have to be a Clemson graduate to be special to this University and to the Athletic Program.

2. You win with class and lose with class. After Aaron Hunt kicked the game winning field goal in 2000 vs. South Carolina (The Catch Part II), I came back to the tailgate as a stupid 28 year old still acting like a 17 year old...taunting a few Gamecocks as I made my way through Lot 2. To say I received a verbal lashing from my mom when she saw that would be putting it nicely! Her direct quote, which I remember to this day, was "treat them like you would want to be treated if the same gut-wrenching thing happened to you and Clemson...which it will one day"

To this day, I have never indulged in that type of bravado over an athletic event.

Rest In Peace a true Clemson mom..

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Indulge me, please. Clemson received another Angel

Apr 13, 2021, 7:17 AM

Sorry for your loss. I hope our Lord brings you and your family peace.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2021, 7:31 AM

I am very sorry for your loss! Prayers for you and your family.

Apr 13, 2021, 7:57 AM

Prayers for your family. You will take solace, just as I did when my mother passed away, in that she is now in the best place there is to spend eternity. No pain, no mental impairment, she is with Jesus in Heaven. Trust in Him, and live the life your mom taught you to live, and you will see her again someday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Scott, I am so sorry to hear this.

Apr 13, 2021, 8:04 AM

I will praying for you and your family. And, that you will experience the peace that can only be provided by God through His Holy Spirit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Apr 13, 2021, 8:11 AM

So sorry to hear about your mom, Scott. I know she will be greatly missed.

Apr 13, 2021, 8:15 AM

God's Peace!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2021, 8:15 AM

Such wisdom! Sorry for your loss. Believe me when I say there is nothing like a Mother's love. They love you, even when you don't really deserve it and even when we've done something that hurts their heart, but they forgive those missteps quickly. Prayers for you and your family. I'm sure she is in a great place right now and still is representing our Tigers very, very well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

God blessed you and your family with this

Apr 13, 2021, 8:47 AM

wonderful lady. May He continue to do so.

You are in my prayers

Apr 13, 2021, 8:53 AM

My mom passed in 2016 from Alzheimer's. She was a graduate of Limestone College, but she loved the Tigers too. May God bless your family.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2021, 9:06 AM

So sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing her story with us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Apr 13, 2021, 9:14 AM

Your mom would be pleased and proud of your post. I would say you learned a lot of lessons from that mom of yours!!!

Apr 13, 2021, 9:23 AM

Prayers for strength and comfort to you and your family. Your mother sounds like she was quite the lady! God Bless.

So sorry about your mom

Apr 13, 2021, 9:40 AM

I feel your pain, I still miss my wonderful mother we
lost 7+ years ago. She was also a big Clemson fan as
we lived nearby in Central and several of us attended
Clemson. And she taught us about hard work and respect
and the value of family and helping others.

Apr 13, 2021, 10:07 AM

Sorry to hear about your Mother. She was a "true Southern Lady." God Bless

Apr 13, 2021, 10:21 AM

So sorry for your loss. My mom unfortunately also died from that dreadful disease. She gave you a wonderful lesson.

She is now in Tiger Heaven.

God Bless

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2021, 10:26 AM

Prayers for you and the rest of the family during this time. She’ll be watching you and the Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2021, 10:31 AM

Sorry for your lost Scott. What a tiger she was

God's Peace to you and your family

Apr 13, 2021, 10:37 AM

My Mom is going through the late stage of this right now. I hope your happy memories will help ease your mourning.

Apr 13, 2021, 10:39 AM

Rest In Peace Mama Rhymer - Glory to God and all his Clemson Tigers !!!!!!

Apr 13, 2021, 12:15 PM

Scott, condolences and thank you for sharing.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Apr 13, 2021, 12:20 PM

Sounds like she has a great son. She was lucky. RIP

Prayers for strength and healing for you and your family,

Apr 13, 2021, 12:22 PM

Scott. Thanks for sharing the memories.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

I am so sorry for your loss, Scott.

Apr 13, 2021, 12:38 PM

May God comfort you and yours.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Apr 13, 2021, 3:00 PM

Regret to learn of your Mother's passing. Cherish those fond memories.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2021, 3:16 PM

GoD Bless, very sorry for your loss !!!

null

Apr 13, 2021, 3:50 PM

Sounds like You had a wonderful MOM. Prayers for you and all the family.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2021, 7:52 PM

Sorry for your loss and for the family having to witness the effects of this terrible disease. Lost my Mom to it in November of last year.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family. Just know that she is at rest now and will still be watching the Tigers play with all the other great friends that are with her.

Sorry for your loss. Your Mom was a wise woman.***

Apr 13, 2021, 8:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, very happy- very, very proud.

Apr 13, 2021, 8:27 PM

Sympathy and prayers for you and your family. Good Mama lessons for all even this 63 yo man!

Apr 13, 2021, 8:36 PM

I am so sorry to hear that. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Since my mom passed away in 2019 my Dad and I become really close. I miss my mom but it has give me and my Dad some really good times. I was with my mom and dad sitting together when Clemson won their first National Championship in 81’.

That was a great post about your mom. I hope you will share more memories about your mom’s activities at Clemson.

God Bless and your family. May he give you peace and comfort knowing she is now one of his Angels. ??????

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

Apr 13, 2021, 8:48 PM

Thank you for that poast. Your mother will be missed by all. God bless...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Apr 13, 2021, 9:12 PM

Prayers for the entire family and friends... And they are many. Won't do anything to ease the pain, but you'll take solace in time that she was so beloved by so many, as are you my friend.

Apr 13, 2021, 9:16 PM

A true Clemson lady and family. Praying for all of you.

Apr 13, 2021, 9:59 PM

So sorry for the loss of your sweet mother, Scott. She was the type of Clemson fan who set a wonderful example for you and others to follow. You will meet her again someday. God bless.

Apr 13, 2021, 10:23 PM

Scott, I have and will pray for you and your family. I lost my dad within months of our last National championship and he was a devout Christian, family man next and Clemson Tiger (to the core ) after that.

He didn’t attend Clemson but his oldest brother did. He had us as kids in Death Valley as early as ‘72 I think.

Also, I remember being in Columbia when Danny Ford boat raced the Cluckers by a bunch to nothing. I too (along with a buddy) ragged the opposing fans after the game (mostly because of the prior R-O-D-N-E-Y chants. But I got over that stuff along time ago. I celebrate or pout with my Clemson brethren but I am quietly respectful to the opposing jerk wads.

Apr 13, 2021, 10:26 PM

Prayers for you and your family.

Prayers for your family, I cannot imagine.

Apr 13, 2021, 11:03 PM

My mom is my Clemson buddy, is not a Clemson grad and is one of the most diehard Tiger fans I know.

Apr 14, 2021, 3:12 AM

May God grant you peace and comfort. Know your Mom is whole again.

Our prayers and heartfelt condolences. Awesome tribute to

Apr 14, 2021, 7:38 AM

your mom.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 14, 2021, 2:03 PM

I hate to hear that a great Clemson fan has passed, and I send my heartfelt condolences...

I also say that you have described an awesome, great Clemson fan, and she like many of us love Clemson sports winning or losing, but, we do have some fans that can't love Clemson after a loss, and if you read this board after a loss, you will definitely be able to recognize the fans that I'm speaking of, the haters after a loss!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 14, 2021, 2:10 PM

Got a feeling she will continue to watch the Clemson games for a long long time.

Apr 14, 2021, 2:22 PM

Prayers for you and your family!

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic