Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Deshaun Watson's lawyer fires back at 'lamest' excuse by other lawyer
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1

TNET: Deshaun Watson's lawyer fires back at 'lamest' excuse by other lawyer

Apr 1, 2021, 3:52 PM

Deshaun Watson's lawyer fires back at 'lamest' excuse by other lawyer

Another day and another lawyer statement. Deshaun Watson's lawyer Rusty Hardin responded to lawyer Tony Buzbee after he wouldn't take any of his evidence to the Houston Police Department like he previously promised. Here is the entire following statement from Watson's lawyer: "Since March 19, Mr. To (Photo: Trevor Ruszkowski / USATODAY) Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Deshaun Watson's lawyer fires back at 'lamest' excuse by other lawyer

Apr 1, 2021, 3:54 PM

Things are starting to look better for Deshaun.

No, they aren't.

Apr 1, 2021, 3:57 PM

Still facing what 20+ civil suits. PR machine is running between lawyers, that's all.

Re: No, they aren't.

Apr 1, 2021, 3:59 PM

Public opinion that is. Also, why won't his lawyer turn the evidence over to the cops? Doesn't that hurt the plaintiff's case? I don't know how it all works with these things. In your experience, how does it work? Joking of course. I do seriously wonder if it helps that the plaintiffs won't file a police report?

Apr 2, 2021, 10:04 AM

To be direct, Buzbee alleges the Houston PD can't be expected to be fully fair with him due to his recent running for a separate campaign & previous ties with the current mayor and sherrif, something like that. Basically the Houston PD can't be unbiased & therefore he's going "elsewhere" for investigation, albeit without saying where.

Apr 1, 2021, 4:59 PM [ in reply to No, they aren't. ]

Yes. They are.

some lying sack of #### lawyer saying he has 20 girls

Apr 1, 2021, 8:24 PM [ in reply to No, they aren't. ]

making claims means zero. Let's let all 20 get on a stand and get cross examined. It won't happen because it's probably all ########. Give me money and it all goes away. Blackmail.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The attorney may be how you describe

Apr 1, 2021, 8:48 PM

But remember there are 20 women also saying it. 21 is far greater than 1.

21 liars would be quite the statistical anomoly. Possible i suppose, but certainly improbable.

Who says there are 20? The guy asking for money.

Apr 2, 2021, 12:42 AM

Let him produce the 20 names and let the 20 get on the stand and cross examined under oath.

Guess what. It won't happen. There aren't 20. There might be 1 or 2 gold diggers, but we'll see.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

21 now

Apr 2, 2021, 8:40 AM

21 have filed suit. This is not something an attorney as fabricated, they have all filed civil suits. Like filed in court.

Out judicial system isnt set up as simply as INTERROGATE THE PLAINTIFF! Take issue with the system in this case as opposed to just assuming 21 people are all lying.

Re: Who says there are 20? The guy asking for money.

Apr 2, 2021, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Who says there are 20? The guy asking for money. ]

But again, that would be criminal court, wouldn't it? I get the suggestion of blackmail, but again, we know for sure this isn't about money because that has to be filed with the motion for any of the civil cases & none of them asked for more than $500 (the state minimum for a peer review in TX). It's something else, which arguably makes it worse, or it's legitimate, which I personally doubt after this notice about the Houston PD (largely because of his compelling promise to work with them over a week ago).

What makes things more complicated here is that

Apr 2, 2021, 11:05 AM

all of this allegedly happens in a 1 on 1 setting. There are no witnesses, and likely there is at most minimal evidence, none of which is physical evidence I assume.

Net, it's very unlikely to result in any sort of criminal conviction. With this in mind, it does make the trauma of the alleged victims going through the criminal part quite the deterrent when it is so unlikely to result in anything.

That's why it's taken up in civil. DW IMO will have 2 options for each case: Pay and make it go away, or defend his name because he is innocent.

Odds are great he will just settle. It will be easier and less of a PR hit. That, and where there is smoke there is fire.

Who knows. I'm surprised he hasn't just paid his way through it already if that is an option but maybe it's not at this point.

Re: What makes things more complicated here is that

Apr 2, 2021, 12:01 PM

I hear you. The tricky part is they're still only suing for the lowest amount under TX law for peer review, which is $500.

So if it's 21 women, that's just over $10,000 TOTAL to make it all go away.

In other words, this was always about more than money, and for both sides.

Apr 1, 2021, 6:24 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Deshaun Watson's lawyer fires back at 'lamest' excuse by other lawyer ]

With my deepest personal opinion, I never thought that DW4 was ever guilty of any of that stupid ######## to begin with. DW4 proved who he was, and what his personal character was about during his time at Clemson. And for anybody to believe that he had done the things that he was accused off bc he had plenty of money, and lived in Houston is totally ludicrous, and it was like a slap in his mother's face with the way she had raised DW4 to be as an adult!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2021, 3:55 PM

Nice response.
Sure wish this issue would be resolved and we get back to football.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2021, 4:03 PM

New conspiracy theory:

This was all done as a distraction to make deshaun untouchable until after the draft and most teams that wanted him already made moves at the qbs position. After the draft these accusations will disappear.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2021, 4:08 PM

I could jump down that rabbit hole

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2021, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Deshaun Watson's lawyer fires back at 'lamest' excuse by other lawyer ]

That is sad and dumb.

Apr 1, 2021, 5:16 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Deshaun Watson's lawyer fires back at 'lamest' excuse by other lawyer ]

I have been thinking the exact same thing. Wouldn't surprise me in the least this is a setup of some kind due to his trade request and total falling out with the team management.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 2, 2021, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Deshaun Watson's lawyer fires back at 'lamest' excuse by other lawyer ]

Could be.

It would be sincerely awful & legitimately punishable by law, but DW is elite.

Make no mistake, he'll likely have a suspension of some kind just by nature, but DW is coveted----if what you're suggesting turns out to be accurate, for example, Watson may have to sit out as much as the entire 2021 season, but then he will be one of the most desirable talents in the league outright.

I think rather than seeing DW as untouchable right now, they're all biding for a better opportunity to get him, anything other than top-dollar outright (be it extra trades, a lower price or both). Watson is worth top-tier money, it's as simple as that, and getting a discount of any kind on top-dollar talent is something any NFL team will deliberately consider.

Apr 2, 2021, 11:41 AM

But also, consider what the NFL lets slide. Guys like Greg Hardy, Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, Antonio Brown, and Ben Roethlisberger have all done things equally bad if not worse than what is alleged about DW4.

If you want a comparison to see what an actual predator looks like, look up Darren Sharper. He got popped for multiple r*pes across state lines, was criminally investigated in multiple states, got convicted, and then sentenced to effectively life in prison. If DW4's allegations are true, why aren't the victims going to the Feds or the cops like Sharper's did?

I keep seeing that victims like these typically sue because civil court has a lower standard of evidence. That's not a good thing, ffs. If your claims cannot handle the scrutiny of a criminal trial (beyond a reasonable doubt), then lowering said standard doesn't mean the claims are any more credible. The fact that the sleaze bag (described as the Better Call Saul of Houston) refuses to go to the cops means that the evidence each of these women have (which we cannot look at as a group/whole, each of these are submitting individual suits) is flimsy.

I don't doubt DW4 did some weird or creepy stuff with these women. A lot of men in power do stuff like this. But if it's not going to hold up in criminal court, then we can't brand him guilty or cancel him. Besides, my bet all along even in light of these accusations, is that he goes to New England. Belichick does not give a flying F about your past, as long as your perform for him in the present and future.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 2, 2021, 12:07 PM

What you're asking for is hard proof, like DNA, video or photo evidence; they don't have that, and by nature that's simply not uncommon in cases like this (rather than outright proof it's all some sham conspiracy thing). Criminal court is simply different by nature, if that helps.

If DW did some creepy stuff as you're suggesting, the problem is how "creepy" it is in the eyes of the law. At this point, I'm not sure if he did or didn't do anything outright. That's it. We simply don't know and can't find out more until we wait long enough for an answer. Not going to the Houston PD simply delays those answers even further, and frankly I don't know what other "investigative sources" there are to consider.

Apr 2, 2021, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Deshaun Watson's lawyer fires back at 'lamest' excuse by other lawyer ]

djb_ws said:

But also, consider what the NFL lets slide. Guys like Greg Hardy, Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, Antonio Brown, and Ben Roethlisberger have all done things equally bad if not worse than what is alleged about DW4.

If you want a comparison to see what an actual predator looks like, look up Darren Sharper. He got popped for multiple r*pes across state lines, was criminally investigated in multiple states, got convicted, and then sentenced to effectively life in prison. If DW4's allegations are true, why aren't the victims going to the Feds or the cops like Sharper's did?

I keep seeing that victims like these typically sue because civil court has a lower standard of evidence. That's not a good thing, ffs. If your claims cannot handle the scrutiny of a criminal trial (beyond a reasonable doubt), then lowering said standard doesn't mean the claims are any more credible. The fact that the sleaze bag (described as the Better Call Saul of Houston) refuses to go to the cops means that the evidence each of these women have (which we cannot look at as a group/whole, each of these are submitting individual suits) is flimsy.

I don't doubt DW4 did some weird or creepy stuff with these women. A lot of men in power do stuff like this. But if it's not going to hold up in criminal court, then we can't brand him guilty or cancel him. Besides, my bet all along even in light of these accusations, is that he goes to New England. Belichick does not give a flying F about your past, as long as your perform for him in the present and future.

And the sad thing is Darren Sharper was primed to be inducted into the Pro Football HOF.. Ain't happening now...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 2, 2021, 6:58 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Deshaun Watson's lawyer fires back at 'lamest' excuse by other lawyer ]

DW4 will not have to serve an hour of suspension over this BS those Who-res started. To punish someone for something, especial a pro sports player that is protected by the sports union, they will need to have some evidence that he has done something that violates the rules, and they will not find anything of the sort, when there's nothing to find!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Meanwhile, SI.com runs a story citing one of the

Apr 1, 2021, 4:07 PM

Claimants....

If DW4 is proven innocent in all this, the libel suit he

Apr 1, 2021, 5:01 PM

hits Sports Illustrated with could just be the final straw that folds that magazine tent for good.

Re: If DW4 is proven innocent in all this, the libel suit he

Apr 1, 2021, 6:29 PM

I would hope but it won't happen bc, they only printed a story that a liar told them!!!

Apr 1, 2021, 4:12 PM

“Other investigative authorities” is either private eyes or the NFL. Buzzbee probably thinks he has leverage to threaten DeShaun with harming his source of income in order to force a settlement. He knows the NFLs “standard” for suspending players is a Roger Goddell roulette wheel of chance. He believes his extortion scheme will have less chance of being exposed by dangling “evidence” in a court that relies on public opinion only and a stooge of a judge.

Apr 2, 2021, 10:14 AM

The NFL is already involved with their own investigation, however by nature they have no jurisdiction in the civil cases or a criminal case (if sought).

Buzbee isn't seeking a settlement, however, so that part we can toss out. Watson will likely have a suspension even just as a formality; that seems unavoidable. I'm more interested in who the "other investigative authorities" would be. The only logical possibility I could come up with is the FBI, but that seems, well, let's just say unlikely to stir their attention at best, IMO.

I don't know if DW4 is guilty or not but...

Apr 1, 2021, 4:21 PM

what I do know is that Hardin is getting ready to take Buzbee to school.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2021, 4:27 PM

As Mr. Crumpton said, another day.... No need to to get excited or worried about any statement now because there will be many more.

Apr 1, 2021, 4:32 PM

I've thought since Minute 1 this whole thing was a smear campaign. Buzzbee is not the kind of guy truth originates from and this whole thing rang wrong from the get-go.

My own personal opinion is, Texans' CEO Cal McNair's ego was completely bent out of shape Deshaun wouldn't even return his calls, and he sent Buzzbee after him, and I don't think it's really any more complicated than that. Why's that? Well, because I suspect a very inadequate mama's-boy billionaire CEO dispatched his personal ambulance chaser to do a smear job on an employee he regards as not knowing his place. At the end of the day billionaires don't own NFL franchises to make money; they own NFL franchises because it makes them feel important, the centerpiece pillars of their cities, and Deshaun was making McNair feel ridiculous. McNair was starting to get all sorts of bad pub there in Houston; several articles had come out about how McNair had dealt in bad faith with Deshaun, and had gotten played with the whole GM situation, and that McNair was in fact running the Texans organization into the ground. Word on the street and the ether was, McNair was in over his head.

My gut perception is McNair was feeling all kinds of butthurt over that, and this business is exactly what this is.

That makes zero sense for McNair

Apr 1, 2021, 8:40 PM

Word from Houston press was that they were indeed going to trade Watson. They were on the verge of getting a massive haul in return for him. Now they'd be lucky to get a fraction of that. Why would you sabatoge your own business and money to get back at someone?

Re: That makes zero sense for McNair

Apr 2, 2021, 8:53 AM

You're acting like people are always rational. Cal McNair is this guy:

He actually doesn't own the team yet. His mom Janice still does; she inherited it from her late husband...Bob Senior. Who died in 2018. (Yes, the Bob in the above picture is a junior...you starting to get the picture yet?)

Bob Junior's unsteady reign since taking over from his late father has not been, uhm, successful. To put it mildly.

I can think of a few reasons Bob Junior might personally want the spotlight directed away from himself for awhile.

That makes zero sense for McNair

Apr 1, 2021, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Deshaun Watson's lawyer fires back at 'lamest' excuse by other lawyer ]

Word from Houston press was that they were indeed going to trade Watson. They were on the verge of getting a massive haul in return for him. Now they'd be lucky to get a fraction of that. Why would you sabatoge your own business and money to get back at someone?

That’s quite the hypothetical scenario you came up with.***

Apr 1, 2021, 11:10 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Deshaun Watson's lawyer fires back at 'lamest' excuse by other lawyer ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Yes...Reminds me of

Apr 2, 2021, 6:41 AM

"What if we get good in basketball under Brownell?"

Apr 2, 2021, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Deshaun Watson's lawyer fires back at 'lamest' excuse by other lawyer ]

I hear you on billionaires being frustrated & lawyers being sleazy, but the problem with deliberately trying to hurt Watson's value is that value is only beneficial to the Texans---imagine having a classic Ferrari for sale... but instead of showing how it's in pristine condition, you start telling people it's got serious engine problems & the brakes don't work. It's YOUR Ferrari, & your loss to lie about it for no other reason.

Vendettas I get, & even lying to spite of losing value on a trade, but not a trade like Deshaun Watson playing at the top of the league. It's simply too much value, even to a billionaire who controls such a big part of the team outright.

Apr 1, 2021, 5:30 PM

#### I thought Scar, OSU, and UGA had some whacked out fans but the Texans takes the cake with this Buzbee fella.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Apr 1, 2021, 6:45 PM

If his case is so strong, his 1st step would be to turn over the evidence to the Houston PD and let them interview all parties he represents, and let them make a decision to turn it over to the District Attorney Office or a Grand Jury. Sounds like a sham of epic proportions.

I'm sticking with Deshaun until I am shown proven

Apr 1, 2021, 8:42 PM

Evidence against him. Deshaun has never given me a reason not to trust him and I'm not gonna let some money grubbers change that.

Apr 1, 2021, 10:42 PM

Due process “due” be a beeeech.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was an excellent response by Deshaun’s attorney.

Apr 1, 2021, 11:07 PM

I’m glad he has good representation. He needs it, because these allegations are significant.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: That was an excellent response by Deshaun’s attorney.

Apr 1, 2021, 11:53 PM

I’m supposed to believe that 21 women were molested and nobody went to the police? Well, I don’t believe it. My disbelief is further reinforced by their lawyer who also won’t go to the police.

They won’t take evidence to the most obvious place where evidence goes, because they don’t have any evidence. They have stories supported by nothing. If they had anything more we would have seen it by now.

Apr 2, 2021, 8:52 AM

It's scared money that they want, and they can't get that when it goes through the Law that is suppose to deal with crimes against another, and there has to be some evidence to support their claims, and they don't have that bc their claims are baseless!!!!

Apr 2, 2021, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Re: That was an excellent response by Deshaun’s attorney. ]

That's not what they're alleging, though.

Significant or BS?

Apr 2, 2021, 6:03 AM [ in reply to That was an excellent response by Deshaun’s attorney. ]

Do you know something we don't?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 2, 2021, 2:04 AM

This has got to be the lowest of low for an organization and it’s front office. I believe we are getting a glimpse at the real reason why Nuk Hopkins left, why JJ Watt left, as well others, now Deshaun who wants out, wants out the right way and look at what these sleaze balls of the Houston Texans are doing. They are going to do there best to defame a mans character, all because he don’t want a thing to do with their garbage. Deshaun I can’t blame you, keep fighting, keep the faith, eventually everything is going to work itself out in the wash. Truth will shine and you will be with another team. To the Houston Texans front office, you scum bags deserve to be sent to prison for this mess.

Apr 2, 2021, 12:11 PM

But that doesn't make any sense. Why would the Texans get in a conspiracy to deliberately and drastically lower the value of their highest-rated contract?

I hear you on the team being a lousy organization in the front offices, but sabotaging their most valuable asset is something even the worst programs wouldn't let happen on accident, let alone coordinate on purpose (& in court, no less).

Apr 2, 2021, 2:38 PM

ColorofGrey - to deter other players from asking for a trade? To devalue the player's pay by another team if they insisted on being traded? Possibly...

If DW4 thinks that's why this is happening, I wonder what the record for consecutive pick 6 INT's is? Because if I thought my team management had anything to do with this, that's exactly what would happen.

Apr 2, 2021, 4:05 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Deshaun Watson's lawyer fires back at 'lamest' excuse by other lawyer ]

The longer Buzbee waits to take even one case to one law enforcement jurisdiction, the more this looks like a financial shake-down.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 2, 2021, 2:04 AM

This has got to be the lowest of low for an organization and it’s front office. I believe we are getting a glimpse at the real reason why Nuk Hopkins left, why JJ Watt left, as well others, now Deshaun who wants out, wants out the right way and look at what these sleaze balls of the Houston Texans are doing. They are going to do there best to defame a mans character, all because he don’t want a thing to do with their garbage. Deshaun I can’t blame you, keep fighting, keep the faith, eventually everything is going to work itself out in the wash. Truth will shine and you will be with another team. To the Houston Texans front office, you scum bags deserve to be sent to prison for this mess.

Apr 2, 2021, 10:23 AM

The irony is that less than a decade ago Houston's front office was considered to be one of the best in all of professional sports.

Apr 2, 2021, 8:42 AM

I can’t wait to see Buzzbee & his stable of liars in handcuffs

I stand by DW4's shown public persona.

Apr 2, 2021, 11:42 AM

Until proven otherwise.

That being said. I admit it is possible DW and these "ladies" may have had a previous arrangement for more than a massage. Two willing souls doing a deed.

In short. If all DW did was put himself in a situation for paid companionship. I don't fault the man. Lesson learned for sure hopefully. As of right now I don't read anything more into it than that.

Re: I stand by DW4's shown public persona.

Apr 2, 2021, 12:12 PM

It sounds like you're kinda behind on the story a bit then, but the DW support I'm sure is welcome.

Well fill me in, low post.***

Apr 2, 2021, 12:29 PM

You may have missed the part where he uncovered his

Apr 2, 2021, 2:34 PM

wanker, touched them with it, precame, and thrusted for periods of time, allegedly. And they did not want that to happen, because it was not an agreed upon arrangement. Allegedly. That's how the lawsuits have come about.

No actually I did not miss that part.

Apr 2, 2021, 2:49 PM

IF that is what the other poster was implying then he and you both share the same corner of the room.

Read my post again.

"I stand by DW4's shown public persona.Until proven otherwise."

"I admit it is possible DW and these "ladies" may have had a previous arrangement for more than a massage. Two willing souls doing a deed." My statement here means I do not believe the plaintiffs. Again Until proven otherwise.

This again is ME stating I believe no criminal wrong doing was done by DW. And that I find it more feasible these ladies are trying to extort him. And Buzbee is more than happy to lead the charge.

Thanks for chiming in.

Re: No actually I did not miss that part.

Apr 3, 2021, 10:37 AM

Right, but you're still suggesting they weren't anything other than consensually cheating with Deshaun & not professional LMT's, for example. They're also not suing for money (well, not more than the "mandatory minimum" of $500, anyway).

I hear you on his persona, in a sense. For example, while I wouldn't think he'd just cheat on his girlfriend outright (even though, like you suggested, it would be legal in every sense), to me it seems clear he was likely trying to help support multiple small business owners by deliberately spreading his wealth, so to speak; he's always been generous with his money since check #1, & it would support how this situation got to be so complicated with so many people.

Apr 2, 2021, 1:21 PM

I think Buzzbee is heading for disbarment as well as a charge of attempted blackmail. Remember that he had approached Watson about a Settlement in private before going public. Guys painted himself into a corner

Replies: 60
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic