Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Would Swinney use transfer portal to add corner?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

TNET: Would Swinney use transfer portal to add corner?

Mar 1, 2021, 8:01 AM

Would Swinney use transfer portal to add corner?

From the doghouse to the love shack to somebody else’s house, Derion Kendrick has lived in a lot of places the last few months. The lease on the love shack ran out. What is next for the Tigers? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet he won't in this situation

Mar 1, 2021, 8:53 AM

but I feel like that day is coming. I applaud Coach for not wanting to use the portal; there is evidence (SI class re-ranks) that we arguably develop better than anyone else. We also win a lot, recruit extremely well and don't mind putting freshmen in over seniors, and that results in a fair amount of transfers. Eventually we're gonna get a SERIOUS depth issue at a position and will almost have no choice but to go to the portal. Thankfully our recruiting has been well-distributed enough to prevent that, but like I said, I think it's a question of when, not if.

If you need warm bodies, you need warm bodies, and it won't be Dabo's fault.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LSU and OSU needed warm bodied QBs***

Mar 1, 2021, 11:14 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Would Swinney use transfer portal to add corner?

Mar 1, 2021, 8:58 AM

Based off of "what we saw last season" we need a lot of help in pass defense. I can assure you the Georgia coaches saw the same thing and are licking their chops to throw against us. If we are going to be a contender this year, the spring is huge and some answers need to be found.

Mar 1, 2021, 9:12 AM

I think Jawja is still working on the theoretical aspects of the forward pass. I mean sure, only 3 years ago, they were ahead of the nerds but now, IDK

If UGA is "licking their chops" to go up against the 41st

Mar 1, 2021, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Would Swinney use transfer portal to add corner? ]

ranked passing defense from last year, how do the Tigers feel about going up against the 88th ranked passing defense that the Bulldogs put together last year?

null

Re: If UGA is "licking their chops" to go up against the 41st

Mar 1, 2021, 12:54 PM

That 88th rated passing D faced three of the top 5 passing teams in the country. Clemson's best passing opponent? #24 Boston College.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If UGA is "licking their chops" to go up against the 41st

Mar 1, 2021, 1:13 PM

Bama, Florida, and who?

BTW, I do agree that stats can often be misleading and I'd argue our passing defense from last year was an example of that. Clemson and Georgia will both have to improve in that area next season to achieve all of their goals.

What? Ha ha. You ranked 88th! You’re defending that?***

Mar 1, 2021, 8:17 PM [ in reply to Re: If UGA is "licking their chops" to go up against the 41st ]

null

Mar 1, 2021, 9:03 AM

If you can find a quality starter in the transfer portal, you might want to jump on it. But, most are disgruntled players that aren't playing as much as they'd like to be. It's more a move of desperation sometimes, but it can help a team if you find the right guys, I suppose.
If you have a new coach coming in, or a losing record, you might want to heavily use the portal. Otherwise, it probably should just be the right situation.

Swinney quote was from a previous interview.. .clickbait

Mar 1, 2021, 9:20 AM

;)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

If...and that's a BIG if...

Mar 1, 2021, 9:30 AM

Coach Swinney uses the portal I'd try to get this guy...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Booth, Davis and Greene should be coached up & ready to go

Mar 1, 2021, 9:54 AM

The defensive backfield upperclassmen have been a disappointment to date - they play scared, they don't cover, and they don't tackle. They may be choirboys off the field and bring up the team GPA, but playing like choirboys on the field has not been an asset. Wiggins is light, but he has the skill sets and can gain a some weight to get in the two-deep early.

As for UGA, their game plan will be to follow the LSU and Ohio State game plans. Be physical, double team our top linemen, force Skalski and Turner to cover faster receivers and RB's, run by our DB's & safeties in single coverage, and run everyone but Bresee, Murphy, Davis and Skalski over. It is an effective game plan if an opponent has the horses to pull it off. Then the UGA Defense will have to deal with DJ and our Offense. I need to do some research on UGA Defense returnees. Does anyone have a feel for UGA's Defense?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Booth, Davis and Greene should be coached up & ready to go

Mar 1, 2021, 10:07 AM

I think the UGA and Clemson defenses are going to be similar in that they're expected to be solid in the front 7. Questions for both are in the secondary. For UGA, safety Lewis Cine is the only returning starter in the secondary.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2021, 10:24 AM

Good info David. The only guy in the portal I see from a talent standpoint would possibly be Bradley-Hiles from OU because I recall that we recruited and offered him. However, he is listed at only 5'10" and I swear he looks 5'8" or less on the field. Plus, each time I watched OU last year he was getting torched. Just not a lot of DB talent left in the portal. Its going to make Dabo's job tough because you almost have to be in a position to reach out to the really good ones early but you may not have a need at that point. This whole thing has ruined the college game in my opinion.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How well did the situation work out with Kendrick?

Mar 1, 2021, 11:13 AM

We got 3 years out of him before Dabo ran out of patience. So the recruit through HS and develop him when he gets here didn't really work. That happens and can leave holes on the roster, so nothing is fool proof. Hope he doesn't dismiss an opportunities to plug holes due to misses or early departures. Last 2 playoff games we lost were to teams that used the transfer portal, without that I don't see either of them beating us.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2021, 11:39 AM

We will see how talented our coaches really are and how they can develop the players we have to be great on the field.

Mar 1, 2021, 6:05 PM

I don't see getting a starter or anyone better than what we have. Maybe get somebody that can add some emergency depth or scout team players but I doubt you are going to find anyone in there other than everybody else's DK who is going to really make a difference.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic