Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Virginia Tech just lost to UNC in the ACC Tournament.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Virginia Tech just lost to UNC in the ACC Tournament.

Mar 11, 2021, 10:42 PM

That is, #3 seed Virginia Tech.

I guess that makes their coach a bad coach who didn’t have his team ready to play. He doesn’t know how to prepare them for big games and doesn’t instill confidence in his players.

Right?!?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Virginia Tech just lost to UNC in the ACC Tournament.

Mar 11, 2021, 11:12 PM

Also played there 1st game in two weeks off COVID pause, and justc their 2nd in 18 days.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great, so you acknowledge that a COVID pause

Mar 12, 2021, 10:59 AM

can significantly impact a team's performance when they resume play?

Great, please let some of our "fans" here know that, since some are still complaining about our losing streak then.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Has their coach been there 10 yrs?

Mar 12, 2021, 12:53 PM

nm

Mar 11, 2021, 11:13 PM

#3 losing to #6 makes us feel so much better about losing to #13.

Thanks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Way to miss the point completely.

Mar 12, 2021, 11:00 AM

And you know that people here would've been saying the same exact stuff about how awful our coach is if we had been #3 losing to #6 North Carolina.

Saw that loss coming a mile away.....

Mar 11, 2021, 11:26 PM

VT was a 3 seed on paper...but it’s apparent had they actually had to play more games, they would have not had finished that high....with the long break and against a team that is playing well...it was fairly predictable.

While I am not one of the ‘bashers’ or whatever...I’m not sure that this is a comparison that needed to be put out there. UNC had the same regular season conference record that we had....yet they are still playing.
I think Miami is a team that gave us trouble in all 3 meetings...but ultimately they were a 13 seed that beat a 5. That’s a bit different than a 3 losing to a 6...that is maybe a game behind them in the standings.
I know what you’re trying to say...but there are probably other comparisons from other teams across the country that might better make your point.

I'm not saying that the two situations are equivalent.

Mar 12, 2021, 11:03 AM

Obviously VT was a #3 and lost to a #6, and we were a #5 who lost to a #13. They aren't the same.

However, the principle is still the same, in that a higher seed lost its first ACC Tournament game.

If we had been the #3 seed and lost to a #6 seed, this board would've been littered with posts just like it was after the Miami game, saying that we weren't prepared, our coach stinks, our players don't have confidence instilled by Brownell, etc.

You know it's true.

But I don't expect any of those posters to apply their (ridiculous) logic to another situation that is similar.

Oh get over it JK and your Brad mancush. We shouldn’t lose to.

Mar 11, 2021, 11:29 PM

a sucky Miami team and you know it. You’ll make ridiculous excuses here and on the air but deep down you know it. If you have a brain at all

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link to where I made an excuse for our loss to Miami.

Mar 12, 2021, 11:04 AM

I dare you.

You just don't like me pointing out the hypocrisy of our "fans" here who bash our basketball program every chance they get, but don't apply that same logic across the board.

Re: Oh get over it JK and your Brad mancush. We shouldn’t lose to.

Mar 12, 2021, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Oh get over it JK and your Brad mancush. We shouldn’t lose to. ]

Miami had a very bad year... we beat them twice. But on Wednesday they had a very good game.

That is how basketball works - if a lack-luster team gets rolling, they can win. Ask Larry Shyatt abouut beating #1 UNC.... We literally had only 2 conference wins that season but one was against #1 UNC - and technically that 8/9 seed game against FSU.

Good Lord...

Mar 11, 2021, 11:31 PM

...you're kinda getting beyond pathetic. We get it. You love Brad. But I can assure you your snarky posts aren't winning any fans. What's even more disturbing is you don't even realize it. And yes, I gave you a TD.

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

My post clearly struck a nerve with you.

Mar 12, 2021, 11:06 AM

You can put me on ignore if you don't want to read my posts. It won't bother me a bit.

Also- half of the teams who played today...lost.

Mar 12, 2021, 12:02 AM

Furthermore, some teams are such losers that they didn’t even play today at all.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Way to miss the point.

Mar 12, 2021, 11:08 AM

I'm not excusing losing. I'm not rationalizing our loss.

I'm pointing out the ridiculous narrative on here that a coach who has had a good season and is upset in the first round of the NCAA Tournament shouldn't be blasted for being a bad coach, never having his team prepared, etc.

No, it makes a very good coach . .

Mar 12, 2021, 1:23 AM

in Williams. Cuse lost at the buzzer, Duke called it quits, so who know what they would have done. I think it proves the value of a leader that can get the players ready when it counts.. Brad has never been able to do this. This is what I posted last evening about the coaches and their teams getting ready and playing inspired BB.

So let me get this straight.

Mar 12, 2021, 11:12 AM

When VT loses to UNC, it's no fault of Coach Young, but instead shows what a great coach Coach Williams is?

That's interesting, because when we lost to Miami, it was all about what an awful coach Coach Brownell is. The fact that Coach Larranaga has nearly 700 career wins and will likely be in the hall of fame one day, and is clearly a good coach, has not been mentioned once.

I just want people to be consistent in their logic and standards. And that seems to never happen when it comes to Clemson basketball here.

come back and post when VT coach has been there 10 yrs

Mar 12, 2021, 12:55 PM

and still blows a game in acc tournament historic fashion

At least UNCheat is a Tournament team...

Mar 12, 2021, 8:42 AM

along with Clemson, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Florida State, Georgia Tech, and possibly Cuse.

Miami is not. They are exactly what their record says they are. A sub .500 team and Clemson should NOT be losing to them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

You're right, we shouldn't have lost to Miami.

Mar 12, 2021, 11:13 AM

But why should that cause the knee-jerk posters here to go on a rampage about how awful our program is, how inept our coach is, etc.?

That's ridiculous.

I'll be honest....

Mar 12, 2021, 11:47 AM

I thought Brownell was a bad hire and should been fired years ago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fair enough.

Mar 12, 2021, 12:02 PM

But does that keep you from being fair and honest about him and our team?

No, while I'm not a big Brownell fan...

Mar 12, 2021, 12:29 PM

and never have been, I am a Clemson fan and at least try to be objective in my assessments.

Oct 4, 2017, 2:27 PM

Judge, I don't care about those games. My concern is Clemson... maybe if a methed Hokey rank over ol'Roy with a stolen pickup truck, then I would call my uncle and tell him "nice job".

It stunk losing, but we did not lose because we had a bad team, bad coach, bad scheme, or whatnot. We played decent but against a team that was having one of "those" games where they clicked. Not worried, looking forward to the dance.

I agree, our priority is Clemson basketball and not VT.

Mar 12, 2021, 11:16 AM

I found it interesting that, after reading posts here for two days about how awful it was to lose to Miami, to the point that people went out of their way to blast our coach and call for him to be fired, a coach that often gets praised here as being so great (Mike Young) didn't have his team ready to play yesterday in their game despite being the #3 seed.

I'm not expecting anyone here to call for Mike Young to be fired, but I would hope that if their logic is consistent, they would also question his ability to get his players ready for a big game and his ability to instill confidence since those are the conclusions drawn from our loss on Wednesday.

Otherwise, I'm left to assume that people here who aren't able to be consistent in their standards and expectations for performance simply have an agenda against Clemson basketball and/or Brownell.

This is weak. VT was only 0.5 games ahead in standings

Mar 12, 2021, 11:12 AM

UNC (with the same record as Clemson) defeats the #3 seed who finished 0.5 games above them during regular season.

Clemson (with the same record as UNC) loses to the #13 seed who finished the regular season 7.5 games behind us.

Losses and upsets happen all the time. But this might be your weakest argument yet to support Clemson.

My gripe is

Mar 12, 2021, 11:48 AM

that many "fans" here hold Clemson basketball to ridiculous standards, way out of line with what they hold any other team.

I have no problem with people being mad, upset, or frustrated that we lost to Miami. I was all of those things too. But honestly, if we take a step back, it shouldn't cause much of the vitriol posted here.

We obviously weren't ready to play Miami. I assume that was partly the coaches' fault, and partly the players' fault. That's disappointing. I'd love to win an ACC Tournament. But to take that one game, and draw ridiculous generalizations such as "our coach never has us ready to play big games" and "our coach never instills confidence in our team" is ludicrous. You're a reasonable person, so I'm sure you can agree.

Why does one disappointing loss here have to result in knee-jerk reactions and false generalizations about our team/coaches/program? It's maddening. And it's so predictable.

You are correct that VT losing to UNC is not equivalent to us losing to Miami. I wasn't trying to say that it was the exact same. My point was that they were a #3 seed and were supposed to beat their opponent, and they didn't. They were one and done. And if we had been in that situation and lost, I bet we would've seen roughly the same response here that we did after losing to Miami.

Again, I understand that people were upset. I'm glad they hate losing. I hate it too. So do our players and coaches. I just wish people would be fair in their criticism, and realistic in their expectations. As you said, losses and upsets happen all the time and they are going to happen to us sometimes too.

Thankfully, this was the first game we lost all year to a quad 2/3/4 team. It was arguably the first time all year we lost to a team we shouldn't have. Rather than realizing that yesterday's loss was an anomaly this year, and we have been far less inconsistent than 99% of college basketball teams, it was just more of the same baseless whining and complaining.

Of course Clemson fans hold Clemson basketball...

Mar 12, 2021, 11:59 AM

to a higher standard than they do other school’s basketball teams. That’s true for football, baseball, etc... as well, and it’s the same with every fan base.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying.

Mar 12, 2021, 12:07 PM

I tried to explain it in the post you are responding to.

I just wish some people here would be consistent and fair.

Mar 12, 2021, 11:14 AM

as usual, wrong. if you knew one iota about basketball, you would know mike young is a much better coach. you would also recognize that the heels are a much better team. it’s not even a remotely close comparison. take your meds

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Mar 12, 2021, 11:23 AM

First, I like Mike. I think he was a great choice for VT. I hope he does well...

However, he needs a lot more time to determine if he is a much better coach. A lot of coaches can put together a coupe decent years (or a splash year) but is he a Jim Lanzanganainsnaxzzzaaanshjahasajjazzna at Miami, A Seth Greenberg, a Paul Hewitt, a Dino Guadio? All had good "splashes".

But how long is he going to win, because Tony ain't leaving. He will be the #2 option in his own state - maybe #3 as VCU is that much of a BB contender nowadays. Can he sustain success? That is a hard question. Being consistently mediocre is a lot harder in the ACC than being occasionally excellent.

I'll spell this out for you

Mar 12, 2021, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Virginia Tech just lost to UNC in the ACC Tournament. ]

because you don't seem to get it.

I am not equating VT's loss to UNC with our loss to Miami. Obviously a #3 losing to a #6 isn't the same as a #5 losing to a #13.

The entire point of my post is that many people who post here seem to be irrational and unable to be objective when it comes to Clemson basketball.

Us losing a first round ACC Tournament game to Miami, a team we shouldn't have lost to, wasn't simply met with frustration or disappointment here. No, it quickly morphed into ridiculous generalizations like "Brownell is a bad coach" and "we are never ready for big games" and "our coach doesn't instill confidence." Honestly, do you think such generalizations are true?

So I merely asked the question if VT being one and done in the ACC Tournament means that their coach is a bad coach who doesn't ever prepare his team for big games or instill confidence in his players. Of course that's ridiculous, because he's a good coach and they have won plenty of games against good teams and played other games with confidence. But guess what? So have we.

You might not be aware, but this entire regular season, we did not lose to a single quad 2, quad 3, or quad 4 team. That's outstanding. In other words, we didn't lose to anyone that we should clearly beat (which still didn't stop some people here from talking about us being "sooo inconsistent," but that's a different topic). Wednesday was the first time ALL YEAR we have lost to a non-quad 1 team. Some of our wins have been against good teams - teams that are in the NCAA Tournament, teams that are ranked in the top 25. Our coach clearly gets the team up for big games.

Therefore, there is no reason for the stupid takes I saw after the Miami game. They aren't just opinions, they are incorrect facts. And I'm going to point them out.

Are you really arguing that losing to UNC and Miami

Mar 12, 2021, 12:06 PM

are similar?

Miami is 10-17 overall and 4-15 in the conference

UNC is 18-9 overall and 10-6 in the conference

Miami's net rank is 149

UNC's is 33

Virginia Tech is actually only 49.

We choked in the first round. VA Tech lost to a team that is arguably better than them.

I'm not even one to say that Brownell is doing a poor job this year, but this is just an incredibly dumb argument.

No, that's not what I'm arguing at all.

Mar 12, 2021, 12:13 PM

Of course the two losses aren't equivalent. I understand the seedings and the quality of the teams. Please give me some credit here.

I'm asking if VT going one and done in the ACC Tournament means that their coach never has their team ready to play, doesn't instill confidence in the team, etc.

Because that's the kind of crap I read here after the Miami game. I would've been fine with people saying that they didn't think Brownell had the team ready to play Miami, or that they didn't seem to play with their usual confidence against Miami. Those things are true.

But I saw many posts with people going into teenage girl drama queen mode saying that Brownell never has us ready for big games and doesn't instill confidence in his players. That's simply not true. Such generalizing posts are not only patently false, but they are unfair to the coaches and players who have worked their tails off this year to have a good season.

I don't understand why VT vs UNC was brought up then

Mar 12, 2021, 12:22 PM

because the two situations are entirely different. We lost to a team that we had no business losing to.

VT lost to a team that is arguably better than them. VT could have been confident, played well, been amply prepared and they still could have lost to UNC because UNC is just as good as they are.

We lost to a 10-17 crappy Miami team that we are clearly better than. The whole argument makes no sense.

Mar 12, 2021, 1:23 PM

I guess that makes their coach a bad coach who didn’t have his team ready to play. He doesn’t know how to prepare them for big games and doesn’t instill confidence in his players.

Right?!?

Yet another awful take. Did they lose to a 13 seed with a record way, way under .500?

Mar 12, 2021, 1:30 PM

You are an idiot. There is no other rational explanation for your diatribes.

Mar 12, 2021, 1:50 PM

The entire ACC is horrible this year. Next you will be explaining how as a 9 seed we shouldn’t be beating the 8 seed in the NCAAs.

Mar 12, 2021, 1:53 PM

...or that and 8 losing to a 9 can be compared to a 2 losing to a 15.

Mar 12, 2021, 3:04 PM

Right?!?

Exactly they should fire his ### even if he has the most wins in the programs history or is only a few years from having his team in the sweet 16 and a near upset of Kansas It’s amazing how people hate BB and chose to overlook his success

Mar 12, 2021, 3:11 PM

Tommy West would have the most wins in football program history if he was never fired. Doesn't mean a thing.

We get it , you are Brad Brownell’s gardener

Mar 12, 2021, 3:07 PM

And don’t want to lose your job when he’s fired

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic