Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson guard enters transfer portal
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

TNET: Clemson guard enters transfer portal

Mar 22, 2021, 4:52 PM

Clemson guard enters transfer portal

Clemson junior guard John NewmanIII has entered the transfer portal, Newman announced via social media. Newman's minutes had dropped from 31.6 per game in 2019-20 to 15.6 MPG last season, where he averaged 3.7 points. With an NCAA waiver, Newman still has two years to play. Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the Miami guy sure thinks that's funny***

Mar 22, 2021, 4:54 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw that from a mile away....

Mar 22, 2021, 5:06 PM

Go get Daye from FIU now...

Thought this was gonna be an Olineman.

Mar 22, 2021, 4:54 PM

Phew...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why can’t you be happy for our basketball team?***

Mar 22, 2021, 5:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Happy he is leaving?

Mar 22, 2021, 10:12 PM

I’m never happy about a player leaving

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thought this was gonna be an Olineman.

Mar 22, 2021, 7:34 PM [ in reply to Thought this was gonna be an Olineman. ]

That is the way T-Net writers get the hits, but I call it pulling the wool over your eyes with miss conception of their head liner!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thought this was gonna be an Olineman.

Mar 22, 2021, 8:24 PM

Yep. Big headline on spring practice and then breaking news above it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ooooh tayyyy!***

Mar 22, 2021, 5:04 PM

Re: TNET: Clemson guard enters transfer portal

Mar 22, 2021, 5:05 PM

Wish you the best John!!

Mar 22, 2021, 5:06 PM

I wonder what was going on that his minutes dropped? Attitude or just better players or both?

Mar 22, 2021, 5:07 PM

I think the suspension and then the minutes dropping was the writing on the wall.

Mar 22, 2021, 7:45 PM

The transfer portal is the NCAA way of telling players they don't have to deal with discipline during their college years bc, they can just transfer without any restrictions!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad ran him off. I don't think he was encouraged to stick

Mar 22, 2021, 8:19 PM

around. Not sure why he did as we are a bit small at the guard position.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 22, 2021, 7:00 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson guard enters transfer portal ]

Probably a little of both.

I wish him the best but I was never a fan as he seemed to always be a turnover waiting to happen. He had some good games but a lot of times he seemed to be out of control on a lot of drives and just throwing the ball up and hoping for the best.

Of course I am not an expert but just MHO.

Mar 22, 2021, 5:19 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I hate to hear this

Mar 22, 2021, 5:30 PM

He always played with great effort. I love to tell “Hello Newman” when he entered the game. Best of luck to him.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 22, 2021, 5:47 PM

Thought he was a valuable wing that had explosive athleticism. Good luck John. He’ll be an asset for whatever team he transfers to.

Mar 22, 2021, 6:02 PM

He didn't appear to get off to a good start at the beginning of the season. Don't know if he was ill or injured. Then the suspension. Based on the previous season, believed he would be a key part of the team. Consistently showed the ability to drive the lane area for short jumpers, layups or passes to open players. Felt he made the offense more effective with his A game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Mar 22, 2021, 6:18 PM

My understanding was that he was injured and never really got healthy enough to play with the above the rim athleticism we had seen before. Then came some coaches discipline. Best of luck to John. Hopefully Brownell can find a tall guard / small forward with good shooting skills to fill the gap with Trapp and Newman gone.

Mar 22, 2021, 7:03 PM

WE NEED QUALITY GUARDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it was 'all the above'

Mar 22, 2021, 7:37 PM

He was one of the bright spots heading down the stretch last year and had some nice games. However, this year, I read somewhere along the line he had a knee injury of some sort which affected his biggest asset- quick step to the rim as a slasher. IDK what his suspension was all about, but he definitely was on a very short leash...when he got to play & made a mistake, it was shower time. I think BB fell in love with Honor/Dawes on the court at the same time & Hemenway had a few clutch shots, so he lost minutes to them. I hope the best for him and that we can get a post player to fill his roster spot.

If Brad fell in love with Honor and Dawes, he made a

Mar 22, 2021, 8:21 PM

bit of a mistake there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YEP!!! Honor is a ball hawg & Dawes is very erratic

Mar 22, 2021, 8:30 PM

Neither are very good at running whatever BB calls an offense & they are both too short to guard anyone effectively.

Re: YEP!!! Honor is a ball hawg & Dawes is very erratic

Mar 23, 2021, 10:12 AM

Ball hogging, and throwing up bricks is the biggest reason we lost to Miami, and Rutgers in the playoff game. Say whatever you may think but, throwing up 3 point shots with plenty of time left on the shot clock when you're down a few points close to the end of a game with 3 or less minutes left in the game, it will usually end with an L in your win/loss record.

I believe that every team has to have at least 50/50 percent 3 point shooter on your team in today's BBall game to win, but throwing up the 3 point shots close to the end of a game down a few points with plenty of time left on the shot clock just isn't a smart shot choice when you have time to set up a shot close to the basket that usually ends with a 3 point play. If I was a coach, and I'm glad that I'm not, but if I was, my players better not shoot from behind the arch with plenty of time on the shot clock, and if he does, he will be on the bench the next time we get the ball!!! IMO, going to the basket for the easy 2 with a possible 3 point play at the FT line would be the game that I would coach. I think that teams that play that type of game, they win more games when it's played out at the end of the game....

Re: If Brad fell in love with Honor and Dawes, he made a

Mar 22, 2021, 8:31 PM [ in reply to If Brad fell in love with Honor and Dawes, he made a ]

bit of a mistake there.

Not if we can get Kellen Grady...

Re: If Brad fell in love with Honor and Dawes, he made a

Mar 22, 2021, 9:57 PM

Didn't realize Grady was thinking of another year of college ball. Saw hem play as a freshman in a game at Davidson. Was extremely impressive. Thought for certain he would be entering the NBA draft. Would be great to watch him in a Tiger uniform, but feel he'll choose a school that makes annual NCAAT appearances.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Mar 22, 2021, 8:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Mar 22, 2021, 8:39 PM

Kellan Grady. This is the answer. 6-5 and can shoot the lights out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VlUBOYW6_lc

Mar 22, 2021, 8:44 PM

Walt says Newman is going home to UNCG. Good pickup for Wes Miller losing his best guard Isaiah Miller:

https://twitter.com/deptulahasrage/status/1374150699802578946?s=20

Mar 22, 2021, 9:42 PM

Will miss him. My favorite player last year. Not sure what happened this year as his playing time dropped off. Could have been quite an impact player this year. Coaches see them in practice but a player who wasted this year in my opinion.

Mar 23, 2021, 7:53 AM

IMO he became somewhat of a liability on the offensive end this year. Seemed to force a turnover every time he got the ball and personally I got tired of seeing him out there. I guess Brad did too

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic