Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why does "Best is Standard" only apply to Football?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Why does "Best is Standard" only apply to Football?

Mar 20, 2021, 9:57 AM

Why are so many willing to accept a mediocre Basketball program?!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why does "Best is Standard" only apply to Football?

Mar 20, 2021, 10:02 AM

Because football generates more money and we have a history and something to work with. Maybe DRad feels we are maxing out our basketball abilities? I mean what is the best a school like Wake can do in football? I am ready for Clemson basketball to go a new direction though. We're boring and monotonous.

Because our current basketball coach lacks the

Mar 20, 2021, 10:06 AM

energy and enthusiasm to bring “Best is Standard” to fruition. The baseball coach lacks that enthusiasm too. Both of those programs are stagnant.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Because our football coach said it?***

Mar 20, 2021, 10:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Because our football coach said it?***

Mar 20, 2021, 3:25 PM

This

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Because most Clemson fans don't really care about basketball

Mar 20, 2021, 10:24 AM

You can't "make" somebody passionate about something they don't care about.

Winning consistently and over a long period of time might change that. Just my 2cents.

That's not true. Foster, Barnes, and Purnell

Mar 20, 2021, 11:11 AM

each recruited a lot better than Brownell, and each had some very good teams. Foster took Clemson to the Elite Eight in the 79-80 season. Barnes had Clemson beating a #1 Kentucky in his second year. We were ranked as high as #2 in the Country at one point of his second season. We were ranked in the top 15 much of that season and the following season. Purnell's teams had more big wins than Brownell.

I like Brownell as a person, but we need a new basketball coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a whole lot like the old "Tommy Bowden is a good

Mar 20, 2021, 11:18 AM

Christian man" situation. He was, but he was a lousy football coach. The rest of the college football world knew it, obviously. He hasn't had a sniff of another big time head coaching job since he left Clemson.

If Coach Brownell were anywhere near as good a coach as some on here like to claim he is, he would have been hired away by a "basketball" school long before now. More likely, if he were fired tomorrow, his next gig would probably be back at a mid-major, at best. Much like free agents in football and baseball, the free market would determine his actual value.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's not true. Foster, Barnes, and Purnell

Mar 20, 2021, 2:02 PM [ in reply to That's not true. Foster, Barnes, and Purnell ]

I beg to differ. Every Clemson grad that I know doesn't really care because our program has been pretty mediocre over his lifetime. Every program can point to a few decent seasons here and there, but it'll take much more than that for the average Clemson fan to re-engage and become passionate about basketball the way we are about football.

The only thing that will change it is winning lots and lots of games over a consistent period of time.

Re: Because most Clemson fans don't really care about basketball

Mar 20, 2021, 4:09 PM [ in reply to Because most Clemson fans don't really care about basketball ]

Completely disagree When we were playing good bb it was said that Littlejohn was one of the most difficult places for the opposition in
the nation I was there when we defeated Duke for regular season Championship and we had Duke rattled It can happen again with the right brand of BB Most of you don’t remember those days We actually had an inside game and tried to get rebounds Let’s face it who wants to watch our current brand just to say we lost by only 4 Most folks would be interested in a wide open style like Prenell and losing by 15 a lost is a lost

Re: Because most Clemson fans don't really care about basketball

Mar 20, 2021, 4:54 PM

Every program has at least a few seasons of success, even medicare programs. South Carolina football is a perfect analogy. Trust me, even during the years you mentioned our fanbase still wasn't nearly as large or passionate as our football program.

I sense a lot emotion from posters, and that's great. But, don't let it cloud your judgement. Clemson has never been relevant in basketball except for a few seasons here and there. The only way to chamge that is to win lots and lots of games over a long period of time, AND win some championships along the way.

Mar 20, 2021, 10:30 AM

It's been this way for a long time - with baseball, basketball, et al. The AD doesn't care!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2021, 10:56 AM

or a baseball program!

Because that’s our football coach’s goal.***

Mar 20, 2021, 3:47 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m wondering the same thing.***

Mar 20, 2021, 4:04 PM

Mar 20, 2021, 4:15 PM

Because Brownell is as good as it gets for our program...No athlete comes to Clemson these days to play basketball...You have seen the type of players we’ve had under Brownell...No offense to them because they are great people and kids but they are lousy basketball players...We aren’t going to get any one and done players here consistently like Duke, Kentucky, UNC, or Kansas. We just get to
Grab our c0cks during football season and strut
Our stuff.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Mar 20, 2021, 5:22 PM

Can anyone tell me what Brownell’s goals are for our basketball program?

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic