Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
After Year 11 with Brad, It Is What It Is
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

After Year 11 with Brad, It Is What It Is

Mar 11, 2021, 10:01 AM

Yesterday’s loss was not surprising. Brad will always do just enough to keep his job. I have no doubt that we’ll win 1-2 games in the NCAA tournament. Just enough to keep us all on the vine waiting for more in year 12 and beyond. Fact is we’re a slightly above average basketball program under his leadership. It is what it is.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Progress under Brownell has to be examined with a microscope

Mar 11, 2021, 10:09 AM

This was supposed to be a big year when his recruiting yielded his best team yet.

What does next year's team look like without our best player by far in Simms along with Trapp and Baehre?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Progress under Brownell has to be examined with a microscope

Mar 11, 2021, 10:19 AM

This was supposed to be a big year when his recruiting yielded his best team yet.

What does next year's team look like without our best player by far in Simms along with Trapp and Baehre?

Depends on how quickly the young guys improve. The three. highly recruited freshmen really need to step it up. If they improve a lot I think our frontcourt will be really good.
More concerned about scoring from the wing. We need to get a 6-4 to 6-7 wing who can really score. If Newman transfers like I believe he will, we need to go out and get one of the best transfers there.

Mar 11, 2021, 10:22 AM

And still no talent for an inside game. We have to quit playing 4 guards and a small forward playing in the middle. Yesterday paint points 40-16.
Not sure why CBB will not recruit rim protectors.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our guards are too small to get their shots off or defend

Mar 11, 2021, 10:25 AM

against bigger guards and we don't have a player that can get to the rim.

Didn't see enough production from our younger players to project any of them as ACC difference makers next year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dawes gets to the rim well.

Mar 11, 2021, 10:59 AM

Honor isn't as good penetrating, but he shoots really well and I think we can all agree that his presence this year has been a net positive even though he gives up some height on defense.

Both Hall and Prosper had flashes of good play this year, but neither earned many minutes. I expect significantly more minutes for both of them next year with Simms and Baehre gone.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

No, not really. He takes about 2-3 shots/game from

Mar 11, 2021, 11:06 AM

inside the arc. He's a slender player who doesn't handle contact well.

Re: Dawes gets to the rim well.

Mar 11, 2021, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Dawes gets to the rim well. ]

Judge why were we not able to get Moses Wright or Dale Davis son You know as well as most everyone else Brad has no game for the Big Man and they will not come here to die Moses was player of the year in ACC and made the difference for Ga Tec Brad not a good recruiter #### Vitale told me that when I met him at Cotton Bowl as he was there to pull for Notre Dame couple years ago

Re: Our guards are too small to get their shots off or defend

Mar 11, 2021, 6:13 PM [ in reply to Our guards are too small to get their shots off or defend ]

Newman says hello. 6'5" and can do all of the above.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He does recruit rim protectors.

Mar 11, 2021, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Progress under Brownell has to be examined with a microscope ]

Do you seriously think he avoids recruiting anyone over 6'8"?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: He does recruit rim protectors.

Mar 11, 2021, 11:35 AM

He tries but they not gonna come here to just play defense

Re: He does recruit rim protectors.

Mar 11, 2021, 11:45 AM [ in reply to He does recruit rim protectors. ]

Let’s dig into your question. Interesting you seldom discuss facts with me.
Do I think he tries, perhaps. But how hard and clearly not successful.
But what has CBB done to develop an inside game to attract inside or rim protectors? We play a 3 as a center.
Who has CBB brought in to play center or even a 6-9 true power forward?

Centers on team past 6 years.
2020. Center - Kidd. 33 minutes all year. Developed? Not with 33 minutes.
2019. Trey Jemison. 251 minutes year 2 and 72 year 1 . Transferred out.
2018 Thomas. Forward. Jemison only center on team. 72 minutes.
2017 no center on roster.
2016 Robertin. 97 total minutes. Transferred.
2015 Nnoko, djitte - yes - 2.

Now, if you were a center, being recruited and you look at CBB track record working with, using or developing inside game - would you have a favorable opinion? You see outside game and offense.

Pj hall has some potential - but who is there to help him?

This has been a big year relative to our basketball history

Mar 11, 2021, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Progress under Brownell has to be examined with a microscope ]

We finished in the top third of the ACC for just the 10th time ever.

This will be our 12th NCAA Tournament appearance in program history.

We beat every team we were supposed to, other than Miami yesterday.

Yet yesterday's game is what some of you are focusing on?!?

I don't understand this defaulting to the negative all the time. When we were on our winning streak in February, people complained about the losing streak in January instead. When we are on our way to the NCAA Tournament, people are already questioning next year.

Re: This has been a big year relative to our basketball history

Mar 11, 2021, 11:07 AM

Judge there isn't any doubt in my mind that you are as loyal Clemson fan as we have, and this is why I don't understand after 11 years mediocrity under Brownell, what is keeping your loyalty to him when it means mediocrity continues for Clemson Basketball. If a coach hasn't proven that he can coach a team above mediocrity after 11 years, it screams that he will never have an ACC tournament winning team!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes this season is an exception , not the rule even for Brownell

Mar 11, 2021, 11:22 AM [ in reply to This has been a big year relative to our basketball history ]

At the end of the day, Brownell has been more successful (from a winning % standpoint) than 2 of the prior 6 coaches before him. Mediocre at the very best, 3 NCAA's in 11 years isnt what Clemson should be striving for or content with. Think the football team's success has given other sports a pass to some extent because it is the golden goose for the AD. As long as it is doing well, all is good.

Re: This has been a big year relative to our basketball history

Mar 11, 2021, 12:27 PM [ in reply to This has been a big year relative to our basketball history ]

so what??

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Three 3-star players committed. No true big man.

Mar 11, 2021, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Progress under Brownell has to be examined with a microscope ]

If you thought this year's inside game was bad, just wait.

Mar 11, 2021, 8:28 PM [ in reply to Progress under Brownell has to be examined with a microscope ]

Clemson will be a top six ACC team again. IMHO Hall will improve a lot. I think Newman can also improve a lot if he stays. Those two replace seniors slots. Dawes and Honor give Clemson above average point guard play and they'll be better.
Start: Dawes, Hemingway, Newman, Tyson, Hall.
6th man: Honor
Good second team: Beadles, Hunter, Taylor, Prosper, Kidd. Underrated Big Man: Ian Schieffelin can play 3 positions and will be good.

Half the teams in the ACC are below average***

Mar 11, 2021, 10:14 AM

Amazing how that is nearly always the case.

Mar 11, 2021, 10:16 AM

Kind of like why you always find your keys in the last place you look for them. Because, only an idjit would keep looking after he found them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Half the teams in the ACC are below average***

Mar 11, 2021, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Half the teams in the ACC are below average*** ]

Lol, yep, this year it is when measured against the ACC.

Measuring against the ncaa - there was a time not long ago where a .500 ACC record was well above ncaa average and was given a dance bid.
Now - due to the drop of ACC quality, a .500 is not even close.

Our friends in columbia

Mar 11, 2021, 10:27 AM

Are looking for more loyal fans if any of you guys are interested,

Many of our posters here don't know what loyalty means.

Mar 11, 2021, 11:02 AM

Unless you're winning national championships in football.

You're ignoring the fact that there are a lot more quality

Mar 11, 2021, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Half the teams in the ACC are below average*** ]

teams now than there were 30 years ago.

That is why the NIT has become a solid tournament. In the past, an overall winning record was good enough to get into the NIT, but now it's not even close to good enough.

There are simply more good teams now. That's why you don't see 7-9 ACC teams getting into the Big Dance now.

Even though the ACC this year didn't have those dominant 2-3 teams, I do think the ACC has really good depth. Look at Miami. They finished near the bottom of the league, but can obviously compete with anyone.

Mar 11, 2021, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Half the teams in the ACC are below average*** ]

We were suppose to be way above average talent wise. I know, above average talent doesn't help with the same below average HC!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where do you think we rank this year in the ACC

Mar 11, 2021, 11:04 AM

in terms of talent?

We finished in 5th place. Do you think we have top 5 talent?

Re: Where do you think we rank this year in the ACC

Mar 11, 2021, 6:24 PM

No, and with the follow up class to P J Hall, Max O-P and L Kidd it looks like we won't have top 5 talent anytime soon. Coach B needs to pull in a stellar class for '22.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2021, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Half the teams in the ACC are below average*** ]

It is what it is AO52. It's an odd year for all sports. I really don't know how you can rate teams with covid other than top echelon teams. Same happened with football. It's the Bowden discussion from 12 years ago. You had your ardent supporters and you had the fans that aspirations were to get us in the bcs conversation. Same expectations that any Clemson sports program should aspire to.

Just as with your Bowden supporters, they cut everyone and TD'd them and pointed to some of his successes. Go back and look at the archives. Same today as then. I make no apologies, Brad's not a good coach and Monte is suspect tbd. My expectations is to be elite in all Clemson sports. If we're not, the buck stops at the top. It's a no brainer, the rolling average over 11 years is a straight line. We had one decent year to the sweet16. (Blind squirrel)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After Year 11 with Brad, It Is What It Is

Mar 11, 2021, 11:02 AM

Success in the NCAAs requires a very good inside game. Yesterday's result is a microcosm of what looks to take place. Also, Baehre and Hall haven't been playing very well in the latter half of the year to expect much. Prior to the ACC, players shooting 60% of the 3s were averaging .214 make rate.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

We made 52% of our threes yesterday.***

Mar 11, 2021, 11:04 AM

Re: We made 52% of our threes yesterday.***

Mar 11, 2021, 11:13 AM

What was that percentage in the second half bc, they have to keep up what had them ahead in the first half, in the second half also, or we do what happen, we lose to one of the worst teams in the ACC tournament!!!

Mar 11, 2021, 11:25 AM

And we had our best player standing on the perimeter making turnovers... And we played right into the hands of Miami. Their coach couldn't have dreamed for a better scenario and unfortunately Brad gave them exactly what they wanted. Wind the shot clock down and throw up a desperation 3. Miami coach loved it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2021, 11:16 AM [ in reply to We made 52% of our threes yesterday.*** ]

And still lost the game. Critical part of the 2nd half. Two straight misses from the 3 pt line. Baehre shooting .26 for the season and Hunter shooting .167. First half was an anomaly and wouldn't continue when the game was on the line.

Message was edited by: BerlinSPY73®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Mar 11, 2021, 12:28 PM [ in reply to We made 52% of our threes yesterday.*** ]

and lost

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: After Year 11 with Brad, It Is What It Is

Mar 11, 2021, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Re: After Year 11 with Brad, It Is What It Is ]

All I heard for two years was how Baehre was gonna be the 2nd coming of Horace Grant from many on here. Granted he was injured, but he doesn’t even show occasional flashes of what we were told he’d be.

There's a lot we can all point to, but to me, in general...

Mar 11, 2021, 12:45 PM

we always seem to lack "the guy". That one player who can rise up to the moment... hit key shots in crunch time. A scorer. A natural born, deadeye "shooter". The kinda guy that might just go off for 30 points on any given night. Been watching basketball for half a century, and I've never seen a really good team that didn't have at least one of those guys.

Motion, sets, "length", "defensive intensity", zones, basketball IQ, bench depth, yeah yeah, whatever... all that is fine and good. But at the end of the day, you gotta have That Guy. Seems like we always have a roster full of role players, that at best average about 10 points a game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic