Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We lost 2 games this year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

We lost 2 games this year

Mar 12, 2021, 4:15 PM

To teams that aren’t making the NCAA tournament.

Duke and Miami.

And idiots on here say brownell and team hasn’t been consistent this year. LMAO

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like we haven't consistently lost to teams that...

Mar 12, 2021, 4:22 PM

aren't making the tournament.

Whose side are you on again?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: We lost 2 games this year

Mar 12, 2021, 4:24 PM

Is this why Lunardi has us a 9 seed now?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2021, 4:32 PM

Two add to this.....

We were 8-2 against teams that aren’t making the tournament.

We are 8-5 against teams that are making the tournament.

Of the 5 games against tournament teams that we lost, 4 of them were away games. If you look at the away records of teams in the league TJ is year, they are all bad. It’s tough to beat good teams on the road in the ACC

And weak minded losers are sitting on tigernet crying about how we had a bad year. Bunch of clowns.

I think they'll calm down once they see how far we make it..

Mar 12, 2021, 4:37 PM

in the ACC Tournament.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: I think they'll calm down once they see how far we make it..

Mar 12, 2021, 4:44 PM

Ohhhh gotcha so now people are pivoting to us not doing well in the ACC tournament as the reason brownell isn’t a good coach. It’s funny how these negative Nancy losers nit pick something different year to bash brownell.

It was all about not making the tourney the last few years. Now it’s not performing well in the ACC tourney. Basically brownell has to be perfect in order to please a bunch of uneducated idiots on tigernet. Interesting.

Mar 13, 2021, 6:51 AM

So, to summarize your point.
Other fans are idiots who want to see wins in the ACC tourney (when we are a much higher seed- maybe even an upset, and god forbid to actually in the tourney), along with making the dance on a fairly regular basis (for me 50+%).

Then tell us what would make you feel good.

I have said it before and will again.
Regardless of being a good coach, sometimes in order to get over the hump, you have to try something new. (Bama, Missouri, VT, to name a couple right off my head). There does not appear to be anything on the horizon that tells us that we will move from middle of the pack of the ACC so why not change? How many years do you think are needed to represent the true growth of an organization? It has been 10+. It is not year 3. There has not been improved output in terms of wins and losses to the prior 7 years before BB. (On averages). Down 3 wins a season. 3 straight dances.
Please don’t glamorize winning a playin game against a 12 seed as a highlight. The other year was great. No question.

Please tell us your version of enough time. 15 years, 20?

When would you decide to make a change? Or, are you good with the current track record?

Please keep it civil - I would hope 90% of us on the board want the same things - fans who want to win. The only question is how to do that.
I appreciate your and Judges position, and was in the same thought process for the first 5 to 6 years. Then, it went neutral, now I believe it is time. JMO anyway. (Not that anyone cares or it makes a difference.)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2021, 7:23 AM

I think BB has had enough time and I think he is moving the program forward. I’m not a huge supporter of his like Judge but I am a realist. I wanted him fired a few times this season but after the sting of losing I realize he is making progress. Should we have beaten Miami, absolutely and that display was pathetic. However, we are going to make the tourney and I expect us to win 1-2 games. Next year I expect us to be no worse than a 5 seed in ACC again and make NCAA again winning more games this time. So if BB consistently makes NCAA and wins some games is that enough?

I would ask back to you if we hired a new coach what would be your expectations for him? I want to be realistic but also each year raise them. I think after the hurt of Miami exit BB has done that this year.

Mar 13, 2021, 10:34 AM

Disappointing that mountaineers didn’t not respond with specifics on how long would he give BB, but I appreciate your response and will answer as best I can.

Here is my thing - people make this about how many wins does BB need? Etc. I look at it differently. I think , how many wins does it take to be a successful program? I don’t pull for coaches - I pull for Clemson.

For ANY coach, my expectations would not change. They would be slightly modified - depending on number of years.

I want to challenge for the regular season and ACC championship. I am realistic (to start), that Clemson is not Duke or UNC. - so finishing in top 2 every 3-4 years in regular season would work for me.
I want to win the ACC tourney, be thought of as a dark horse, and have other teams not want to play us- even if we lose after the round we just lost to Miami in. Make the semis - every 3 years, finals every 4. And maybe win one more very 5-7.
I want to plan to go to the dance at least 50%. And the ones we miss, be disappointed we missed and complain we were robbed.
I want to go into the dance as a scary team who might just knock off higher seeds. And who knows, shock the world by making a final 8 or 4. Right now, it is beyond my dreams to win the natty.

It seems we keep making excuses or setting minimal goals for CBB to keep the job. Why? I want to win because we are Clemson, not for CBB . Yes, they coexist, but after 10+, we have not really moved the needle.

Yes, this was a good year. Still possibilities. But, I judge an entire body of work, not the peaks and valleys. 10 years is a big body of work.

To your question of new coach. I would give him (or her) 3-5 years before the same expectations are made. We might drop back a bit, but sometimes that is needed. I would not lose sleep over dropping from 5th in conf to 8th, if we then started climbing again and to a higher ceiling. I do believe CBB is a good coach, but there are others out there as well, perhaps with a spark and drive that builds upon what he has done.

My question to mountaineer was how many years does he think it should take ?

Top 2 every 3-4 years? Dream on!

Mar 14, 2021, 7:51 AM

We make fun of the Gamecocks for thinking their football team should challenge for the SEC championship. Well, I do anyway. Clemson basketball is in a pretty similar situation.

To be totally honest, I would give Brownell a lifetime contract simply for the win @ Chapel Hill. Staying around .500 in the ACC is fine with me. Making the NCAA tournament every 3-5 years is fine too.

Thinking we’re ever going to win the ACC tournament is completely unrealistic. I’m happy with a win or two per decade in that tournament.

As long as we’re not finishing last in the conference year in and year out I think we’re accomplishing what we need to.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Top 2 every 3-4 years? Dream on!

Mar 14, 2021, 8:17 AM

Didn’t see these replies to my question earlier so a late response. To the first post I half agree that I want to see Clemson win in all sports but honestly I don’t think you can look at the full body pre facilities because we weren’t at a level playing field. Even in football we had to invest in facilities for us to take that next step. So looking at it in a post facilities improvement view is why I say I see improvement. I want to win the ACC but I think it will take time and a realistic goal is consecutive years with a day 1 bye and once that is the norm we should expect 2 day byes. Once you are in that top 4 seed consistently I think the expectation should be to win one. I think 50% dance is a little too low moving forward. I think we should expect to be in much more often like 80%. Hopefully we improve our seed and number of games we win each year. I hope over the next 5 years we are here complaining we only made it to sweet 16 what’s wrong with us like we do football for losing in a natty.

To the second reply this is why we need to raise our expectations. Winning the ACC shouldn’t be our goal next year but celebrating 1 win in chapel hill isn’t enough. This is why we can’t consistently win at a high level with low expectations. I personally think BB is the best person to get more but if he doesn’t meet raised expectations time to find someone who can.

Re: Top 2 every 3-4 years? Dream on!

Mar 14, 2021, 5:43 PM

Didn’t see these replies to my question earlier so a late response. To the first post I half agree that I want to see Clemson win in all sports but honestly I don’t think you can look at the full body pre facilities because we weren’t at a level playing field. Even in football we had to invest in facilities for us to take that next step. So looking at it in a post facilities improvement view is why I say I see improvement. I want to win the ACC but I think it will take time and a realistic goal is consecutive years with a day 1 bye and once that is the norm we should expect 2 day byes. Once you are in that top 4 seed consistently I think the expectation should be to win one. I think 50% dance is a little too low moving forward. I think we should expect to be in much more often like 80%. Hopefully we improve our seed and number of games we win each year. I hope over the next 5 years we are here complaining we only made it to sweet 16 what’s wrong with us like we do football for losing in a natty.

To the second reply this is why we need to raise our expectations. Winning the ACC shouldn’t be our goal next year but celebrating 1 win in chapel hill isn’t enough. This is why we can’t consistently win at a high level with low expectations. I personally think BB is the best person to get more but if he doesn’t meet raised expectations time to find someone who can.

This is a fair perspective.

However, regarding finding a new fit if we aren't meeting expectations, I'm on board with most people that say we need to turn Clemson into a destination spot instead of a stepping stone. Idk if we are at that point yet outside of how long BB has been here.

Before BB, seems like any successful coach took off at some point. BB could have bolted after the Sweet 16 but he didnt but if he did we may be having the conversation of...why can't we keep successful coaches? So to BBs credit, he appears to be trying to build a stable foundation here and make this a destination school.

I mean, are there any schools that have a similar situation as Clemson where they are a football school with a rural destination and have success in basketball? Maybe Florida comes close? Virginia Tech though they've fallen off as of late in football? Most high level bb recruits are from the city or at least attend a program where the Bball program IS the school's identify (Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, etc)

Believe me, I wanna see Clemson basketball be success similar to football...maybe we can get there soon. Hell, BB may be the Frank Howard of basketball here. I could imagine if TNET was around during Frank's tenure as I'm sure people would calling for his job often (he had 10 losing seasons, 5 of them before 9th year of coaching when he went 11-0 season in 1948).

Overall, I'm perplexed of just how to consider appropriate standards for different Clemson sports.

Football is the gold standard and baseball is a different kind of monster to deal with nowadays due to the scholarship situation.

Basketball...I'm thinking NCAA tournies 2-3x per 4 years. I think a senior led team should be super competitive and give us a chance at competing for conference titles and a potential deep NCAA run from time to time.

Looking back, OP had some swag with the team and got the name buzzing but never won a tourney game - I don't really hold his time here as golden as others do.

Rick Barnes was probably the closest we came to building something and....he left. I never got to watch his squads or know more about his team culture other than some comments I read on the board from time to time (too young during that period to keep up).

Maybe BBs peaked - maybe not. I get frustrated watching the team performance from time to time but that's basically any sport where we aren't playing well and because hey, I love Clemson athletics so I wanna be supportive and see the school do well.

So here's the best yet ahead and may the chips fall as they do ??

Mar 13, 2021, 8:00 AM [ in reply to Re: I think they'll calm down once they see how far we make it.. ]

Other fans are idiots that take us losing one game in the ACC tournament and say brownell should be fired and that this was an unsuccessful season.

Mar 13, 2021, 8:14 AM

I'm not sure how many of these "idiots" like me are saying we had a bad year. Fortunately the year isn't over. Plus, I don't think many are saying it was because of our Miami loss. It's more of the whole.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2021, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Re: I think they'll calm down once they see how far we make it.. ]

So people who don’t agree with you are idiots or clowns? Got it!

I may or may not agree with you, but I sure don’t berate someone who disagrees. Just make your argument and let others make theirs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t know, I just wanted to see you react.***

Mar 13, 2021, 8:19 PM [ in reply to Re: I think they'll calm down once they see how far we make it.. ]

Typical. When you have a weak argument, resort to insults

Mar 13, 2021, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Re: We lost 2 games this year ]

Brownlee has a .49 winning percentage in the ACC. That sucks. If he coached any other sport at Clemson he would have been fired long ago. There is not a logical argument for keeping him. Predictably, you are going to insult me rather than make a valid point

Re: Typical. When you have a weak argument, resort to insults

Mar 13, 2021, 7:42 PM

Cdixon11 said:

Brownlee has a .49 winning percentage in the ACC. That sucks. If he coached any other sport at Clemson he would have been fired long ago. There is not a logical argument for keeping him. Predictably, you are going to insult me rather than make a valid point

Interesting.... now we are getting somewhere. This year we had a 63% winning percentage which shows we are improving! We are also returning a lot of talent!

Re: Typical. When you have a weak argument, resort to insults

Mar 14, 2021, 6:08 PM [ in reply to Typical. When you have a weak argument, resort to insults ]

Yeah and that .49 is still the best we have ever had here. He has had more success here than any other coach. Even Ricky Barnes could not top .44 and Ellis with his fingers on the scale still was SUB .400.

In any other sport... we would have hired our first coach 50 years prior. Ol Press Maravich was our first true basketball coach and that only happened in 1956. For the other 40 or so prior years, basketball was a way to subsidize the assistant football coach salary. We never invested in the sport - fair enough - but to say that it "stinks" to be in the upper 3rd while being in the bottom 3rd in resources, I got to scratch my head at that.

In basketball, you don't climb the mountain quickly without some type of shoe scandal and then you drop even quicker. BB has consistently improved the Clemson basketball product. We are getting better and deeper WITHOUT a gimmick. Its call hard work.

Both of those teams might make it***

Mar 13, 2021, 4:44 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2021, 7:49 PM

We'll actually never know whether Duke would have made the tournamant this year.

Re: whether Duke would have made the tournamant

Mar 14, 2021, 4:36 PM

Then again, by 11:30 this morning they were going to be in again. Who knows?! Crazy times we live in!

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic