Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The reason why we lost to Miami ... its pretty obvious ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

The reason why we lost to Miami ... its pretty obvious ...

Mar 12, 2021, 9:09 AM

Besides not scoring more points than them, they also did NOT follow the Prime Directives that this TigerNet Journalist has been advocating for years and been proven CORRECT in EVERY GAME when they follow the Prime Directives:

- You always, TAKE IT TO THE HOOP ! Always first choice.
- You guard like madmen, like cover them like flies on dog poo

They had early success with the "3" and then decided, "hey, this is easy ! Lets pretend we're in the NBA !" But as we know, glory is fleeting.

Every time these guys take it to the hoop and guard like madmen, they win. When they play hot potato around the key and then heave a brick, they more often than not, lose.

Do the Prime Directives, and be glad. It is not rocket science.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The reason why we lost to Miami ... its pretty obvious ...

Mar 12, 2021, 9:16 AM

Am I having de je vous?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're having "from I you?"

Mar 12, 2021, 10:48 AM

What's that?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: You're having "from I you?"

Mar 12, 2021, 11:10 AM

I failed French thrice get off my case....

Mar 12, 2021, 9:44 AM

We were scoring 1.3 points per possession, then were scoring 1.24 ppp. We were playing the better offense there. They out rebounded us on the O glass by 1. No big deal. Give them 1 point.

We had two more turnovers. That is what did it. Take 2 possessions away from us, give them 2. They get 2 points. 3 point game.

Pick your poison, Miami had a REALLY good game by their standards. We had a normal game.

I will take a 3pter shooting over contested paint points every single day. The 3 opens up lanes, spreads the court. When you can shoot threes and they fall, you have more options.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said.***

Mar 12, 2021, 10:23 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2021, 10:28 AM [ in reply to Re: The reason why we lost to Miami ... its pretty obvious ... ]

When Miami coach put 4 on one side and allowed his two best players to go one on one to the rim and we could not stop needed to get in zone and stay there Brad got outcoached

Nein, nein, nein, nein, nein !

Mar 12, 2021, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Re: The reason why we lost to Miami ... its pretty obvious ... ]

You always go for the HIGHER percentage shot ... take it to the hoop and whilst on your quest you will:

Make the shot at <=foot
Make the shot and get fouled (and get the opportunity to shoot a foul shot aka "free throw")
Get fouled (2 foul shots)

ALSO, while on your taking it to the hoop quest ... the defense will collapse on you, like two buys on you ... that means some one is not covered (math, 2 on you 3 leftover, 4 of your mates ... one guy is gonna be open). You kick out to the OPEN MAN where he can attempt a clear look perhaps mid range jumper ...

Basically, this is what Miami did ... they had guys always driving to the hoop, we collapsed, and they kicked out to the open guys ... and often the going to the hoop guy made the shot ... and fouled.

In the NBA, thats what makes NBA players ... they can shoot from 50 feet away consistently money ... College level that is rare, and the ones that can are "one and done's".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nein, nein, nein, nein, nein !

Mar 12, 2021, 2:32 PM

No you take the shot that will net you the most points per possession. Shooting % isn't critical. Possessions and points per possession are key.

Shoot 20% from three, you need to shoot 30% from 2 to keep up
Shoot 30% from three, you need to shoot 45% from 2 to keep up
Shoot 40% from three, you need to shoot 60% from 2 to keep up
Shoot 50% from three, you need to shoot 75% from 2 to keep up

That is how 16 seeds and other mid-majors have been clawing away at the big boys. That is how UMBC knocked off UVA a few years ago, you shoot 50% from three and take enough of them, you will beat almost anyone. I say almost because like our GT game earlier, you can shoot 50% but if they are shooting 58% then it isn't close.

Nearly every team will shoot about 40-50% overall in college basketball. The better teams will short upper 40s, thee 3 wins vs DII programs will shoot low 40s. Thus if you can barely shoot 31% from the arc, you will win a lot of games. Teams with the worse 3pt offense tends to be at the bottom of the table. Only the dunk city options can keep up... but that requires a very specific set of players and they are a bit more rare. Even the best, best hall of fame big-men struggle to shoot 60% at the rim... aka the value of your average sharp-shooter.

Miami used the "last resort" option in college basketball - spread the floor and rely on1 or 2 players to drive the ball in isolation ball. There is little "coaching" with that (unless you use Boeheim's zone - what was developed to deal with the BE's guards) as it really is pitting specific players of who is going to have a hot/cold day. If they are hot, it can be very useful, if not, well you were going to lose anyway. If the team was a 3 point threat (and Miami wasn't)... guess what, you don't collapse. We didn't foul often anyways even with the dribble penetration.

In college the 3 is more important. Fewer possessions thus that extra point becomes even more valuable. Those One and done are the athletic big-men. Zions. Or unreal guards (often still 6'6"+) However, you can build a team of snipers a lot easier and thus you develop a perimeter oriented defense.

We agree to disagree ...

Mar 12, 2021, 3:54 PM

I am more of a high percentage shot kind of guy. You are more what's the most bang for the buck per possession kind of a guy. So we will see ...

Lastly, I am not into this "low possession" thing

Mar 12, 2021, 3:59 PM

You want to take as many shots on goal as you can in the allotated time period WHILST, preventing your opponent from putting the ball in the basket ... its an opportunity/linear math thing. Makes for more exciting Basketball too. I think we should an NBA shot clock. Shoot the ball darn it ... amen .... a-ay-men Remember that from the "stall" days ?, snooze fest.

Re: We agree to disagree ...

Mar 12, 2021, 4:56 PM [ in reply to We agree to disagree ... ]

Hey, I was bough up in the old school. My father (former college player and wished he went into coaching than sports marketing) would rant and rave about how "kids" should not be taking 3s as they are "low percentage". I think I might be the youngest kid to know how to post up while "only" being 6'3". No one stunted my basketball career (lol) more than the "high percentage" philosophy.

Low percentage (or high) shots only works when the point available are equal. After that, it becomes a tradeoff.

While I was a decent defender, I was an offensive liability because I could not contribute to stretching the court. I did not develop a decent shot past 18' and really was only effective inside with a short pull up or, if I could, layup. Still, even if I shot 60% on my best days (I was really about 40%) then I wasn't a offensive value.

Now, if you change thew game, the make-it take-it style then high percentage matters. I was always better 1v1 there. If teams played to "21" it would be different as well. I am not the person you would want to play make-it take-it because then I would control your opportunities with high percentage shots.

However, it comes down to simple statistics. Only going to get X possessions per game. Thus the point per possession is critical. You can shoot high percentages but then you really need to limit opposing possession because you will be giving up a point every turn just to keep percentage up. The winner of the game is about the most points, not the percentage.

If you make lay-ups 100% of all possession, then you can score 100 points on 50 possessions (we had 49 vs Miami). That is the upper ceiling. Nothing more you can do and each miss from that would hurt more. 50% from the floor, you are capped to 50 possible points.So think of each miss as counting down from 100= "ceiling". The 3 raises the ceiling to 150 points. Each miss hurts less because you are starting at a higher threshold. If miss 16 of your 50 shots but they are from 3, well you still scored 102. But back to the ceiling. Every "dunk" costs your team a point. Even when "successful" you lose points that could be available. If chosing a two with 150 points available per 50 possession, you are surrendering 50 points from the get-go.

Basically, with each possession, you have the opportunity for 3 points (really 4 but less not count fouls for now). With each two, you "choose" to lose one point IF you make it. Basically every two point bucket is a sacrifice. A discounted possession... and you only have a limited number of those to sacrifice.

Fun times, beers next week

Mar 12, 2021, 6:42 PM [ in reply to Re: The reason why we lost to Miami ... its pretty obvious ... ]

Miami also made a bunch of ridiculous contested shots. It was frustrating to watch. And then of course honor misses a wide open bucket from about 3ft away

Mar 12, 2021, 5:25 PM

I’ll go with they scored more points than us like you said first.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic