Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
when do we quit with this covid stuff....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1

when do we quit with this covid stuff....

Mar 17, 2021, 2:03 PM

of course, i know we have to remain cautious and the virus has caused havoc. But, i just listened to coach brownells interview on WCCP and he was telling qualk and kelly about all the precautions they must go through in Indiana at the tourney (i can only assume all teams are being treated to the same rules). He said when they arrived they had to quarantine in their rooms for 30 hours. They have to eat in their rooms. They have limited practice time. They are only allowed 10 minutes OUTSIDE at a time during the day. They are limited on team meetings and gatherings. They are NOT allowed to go out and about at all. And, heres the kicker... they had to all pass 2 negative covid tests. This is crazy!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They're being careful (maybe too careful but that's hard....

Mar 17, 2021, 2:25 PM

to know for sure). If somebody gets COVID it can/will spread through the whole crowd which would shutdown the playoffs (remember that all games are being played in Indianapolis).

We need to make it through to this fall when things should be able to be much closer to normal.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They should've just given them the vaccine and let em play

Mar 17, 2021, 2:48 PM

We're going to have a massive surplus of vaccine. We aren't gonna run out.

Everyone "high risk" has already received it if they wanted it, so it's not like they're taking it from someone.

Re: They should've just given them the vaccine and let em play

Mar 17, 2021, 5:05 PM

Those are not the facts. Thank you

I don't know anyone over 65 who has not received the vax

Mar 17, 2021, 5:09 PM

except for one person who just doesn't want to take it.

Then you need to know more people. Every day we

Mar 17, 2021, 7:00 PM

vaccinate all day long and the vast majority are still 65 and older but that’s in our area of the state. In some places I’ve heard people can walk up and get the vaccine but that is not indicative of the population here.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I talk to 50 or so people a day over the age of 70 and

Mar 17, 2021, 8:48 PM

almost every single one of them have been vaccinated. I know many young professionals not in the health profession who have been vaccinated for a variety of reasons - generally citing asthma or being in the teaching profession. They are not being turned away.

I'm pretty sure we can spare 1000 vaccine doses for the players in the NCAA basketball tourney.

I guarantee you that we are not going to have a shortage of vaccine, especially with JNJ joining the mix.

Re: I don't know anyone over 65 who has not received the vax

Mar 17, 2021, 8:12 PM [ in reply to I don't know anyone over 65 who has not received the vax ]

Well if it’s everyone you know then surely that applies to the entire US population.

Not true_ hopeful in 45 to 60 days higher risk folks have access***

Mar 17, 2021, 9:48 PM [ in reply to They should've just given them the vaccine and let em play ]

Where do you live? In SC, all you have to say is that

Mar 18, 2021, 8:34 AM

you work in person around other people.

Or you have to say... I have high blood pressure, asthma, etc. I know plenty of people who have done this and they are not even requiring doctor's notes.

.5% of the population are dropping dead from a deadly

Mar 17, 2021, 2:30 PM

disease. Show some respect and wear a mask...actually wear two masks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: .5% of the population are dropping dead from a deadly

Mar 17, 2021, 2:36 PM

If you don't wear a mask, then you are part of the problem. Infected non-mask wearers help spread this deadly virus. Swallow your pride and wear the mask. We thank you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2021, 2:37 PM

Mar 17, 2021, 2:39 PM [ in reply to Re: .5% of the population are dropping dead from a deadly ]

He never said he isn't wearing a mask. He thinks the precautions they are taking are unreasonable. That's his opinion, and it's a perfectly valid opinion. Why can't reasonable people disagree anymore?

Mar 17, 2021, 2:37 PM [ in reply to .5% of the population are dropping dead from a deadly ]

That's not accurate. .5% is 1,650,000. It's closer to .15%.

Mar 17, 2021, 2:48 PM

You mean 1.8% of confirmed cases result in death. In the US 9 of course).

So that .15 rate is under-guess by about 1200%

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

And that is HIGHLY dependent on the ability of the person to receive full medical attention. Those that do not have access to healthcare (like full ICUs, etc) see the about 300% to the 4-8% range

Mar 17, 2021, 2:56 PM

Re-read there FutureDoc. Poster said .5% (or .005). I said .15% (or .0015) of the population. Simple math. 330,000,000 times .15% = 495,000 people. 330,000,000 times .5% = 1,650,000 people.

Mar 17, 2021, 3:22 PM

You don't convert deaths per 100,000 into percentages. Nor do you convert the death from total population as that would assume that the entire population has caught the virus.

We one notes the "percentage" it is universally denoted by the mortality rate (ie deaths per case).

You don't count the folks who have not caught the virus within the "percentages" because that would be counting the number of current deaths from unknown future potential cases.

It is like counting the number of folks who jump off a cliff and their deaths while folks are still in the air or had not yet jumped.

Mar 17, 2021, 4:28 PM

I didn't bring up the initial percentages. My statement is correct when comparing it to what the poster stated. Point 5% (.005) of the population isn't dying. That's what his statement was.

Mar 17, 2021, 4:37 PM

Yeah, but took it in the wrong direction seeking to correct the initial error. Or at least calculated using the wrong metrics. Fair enough.

But nearly 2% would die if they contracted the virus providing they had access to current levels of healthcare - but if the nation did catch it at once, the mortality rate could easily be 10% or higher with most deaths resulting from both the virus and a lack of access to care.

I also think you are mixing the term "population". You are taking it as the "US population" while in public health, the "population" would be those with cases of the virus (Ie sample and population). With the term "population" you can only address the number of people (or things)n that you would be making conclusions about - for example death of Covid. If you include non-cases, well, it does not really work.

The COVID deniers will quote any ridiculous statistic

Mar 17, 2021, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: .5% of the population are dropping dead from a deadly ]

that supports their baseless claim that COVID is no big deal.

It's insane that they quote a death rate from COVID as it relates to the entire population of people, rather than as it relates to those who have had COVID.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: The COVID deniers will quote any ridiculous statistic

Mar 17, 2021, 4:41 PM

So it'd be ok for the news to announce that in the next 30 days, meteorites will kill 100% of the population and assume they'd understand that they were only talking about people who were hit by meteorites?

Mar 17, 2021, 4:55 PM

Meteorites would kill about 100% of those struck by meteorites (really like 99.999999999 as there is always that one case).

You have to be specific about the language you use. Bad/lazy speech does not invalidate data.

Future "Doc" will google it and note that only one person

Mar 17, 2021, 4:57 PM [ in reply to Re: The COVID deniers will quote any ridiculous statistic ]

has been hit by a meteorite, and it didn't kill her. So, no.

Oops, never mind. He didn't even do that much to inform himself.

By the way, tigerdrummer saying ".5% of the population are dropping dead" is not laziness, I'm guessing that was worded very specifically to get exactly the point he was making. Future "Doc" just didn't like it.

Message was edited by: tiger_swimmer®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Future "Doc" will google it and note that only one person

Mar 18, 2021, 10:45 AM

Didn't I say there is always one case? ;) Anyway you example was a "strawman fallacy" as it does not apply to the mortality rate of Covid.

To avoid confusion, here is the strawman for ya: A straw man fallacy occurs when someone takes another person's argument or point, distorts it or exaggerates it in some kind of extreme way, and then attacks the extreme distortion, as if that is really the claim the first person is making.

1.8 percent of the "population" have died from the virus because you don't count non-infected (yet) cases. You count deaths per number of cases. You don't take deaths per jurisdictional population. You can ok at infection rates. Thus saying X% of the population is dropping dead, you are using the "wrong population" and any attempt to various common vernacular is going to be misleading. There is a reason why the mortality rate is specific - to avoid equivocation

Which by-he way- is another logical fallacy you are making here: So you don't have to google -

The fallacy of equivocation occurs when a key term or phrase in an argument is used in an ambiguous way, with one meaning in one portion of the argument and then another meaning in another portion of the argument. When you say "population" in any context with a mortality rate, you are talking about the number of cases. You CANT start using other variations of the term "population".

Infection rates and mortality rates have nothing to do as whether or not I like them, but I am going to call out BAD information. As for Drummer's comment, IF the term was used intentionally and specifically, they got it wrong. Either ignorance or laziness.

The mortality rate is 1.8%. 1.8% of the population would/will die from the virus. Actually more than 1.8% of the virus would die if the number of infections reach a point that overwhelms access to health care, likely as high as 5-10%.

Mar 17, 2021, 4:52 PM [ in reply to The COVID deniers will quote any ridiculous statistic ]

Rational folks can make rational decision with good data. Guiding principle of life.

Rational folks making irrational decisions with good data is call freedom
Rational folks making irrational decisions with bad data is call ignorance
Irrational folks making irrational decisions with good data is unfortunate
Irrational folks making irrational decision with bad data is a coot.

My only requirement in this world is to generate good data.

As for this understanding of the term "population" - just an opportunity to produce good data. Teach a man to fish.

Mar 17, 2021, 5:36 PM

Yes data is very telling. Per the CDC since Sept 20, 2020 there have been 1,561 cases of Influenza (both A and B combined). This compares to the CDC reported average of 45 million Influenza cases in a season. Per my calculations this represents an astonishing 99.996% reduction in average flu cases, according to CDC statistics.

Yeah - but is this

Mar 17, 2021, 5:40 PM

"population" or "fishermen" ? ? ?

Asking for cutigerbob®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Mar 18, 2021, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Re: The COVID deniers will quote any ridiculous statistic ]

And irrational folks make more noise, spreading misinformation and fear with invalid interpretations of data.

This is old, but it's a really clear example of how bad people are at interpreting the affects of the virus on such a mass scale.

Mar 18, 2021, 10:47 AM

Show your sources. This image is completely USELESS! And again, you do not convert deaths per 100,000 into a mortality rate. That is not how one tracks public health items.

There is a reason for peer-reviewed academic information - you can check their work. Frauds are always exposed (like Wakefield) in time because their homework does not matchup.

Mar 18, 2021, 10:53 AM

It's not useless at all. This was point-in-time from sometime mid-2020; obviously the numbers have changed since. The intent of the image is to show how distorted perception is from reality. You can summarize the image in 2 words - "mainstream media".

Mar 18, 2021, 11:04 AM

It's useless because anyone can make something like that and put whatever numbers into it they want. It means nothing without a source to show how the poll was created. Even if it were a real poll, it could have been a poll of 5 people for all we know.

Mar 18, 2021, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Re: The COVID deniers will quote any ridiculous statistic ]

So a poll without a source as to who did the poll, how many people were in the poll, how the people were asked the questions, and who did the asking? Sounds legit.

Mar 17, 2021, 7:15 PM [ in reply to The COVID deniers will quote any ridiculous statistic ]

Google and math are your friends. There are currently 121 million current cases, of which about 100 million are closed with 2 million deaths. That is around 3% death rate. There are close to 20 million cases active of which 88k are considered to be critical or 0.4%. So add in about another 20 million into the 100 closed and assume out of that 20 million 88k absolute worst case will die. (More realistically it’s 3% of that but the number is so low who cares).

You can do that math which pretty much sums up this worldwide shutdown for a simple virus is out of control for what is a blandemic. The media hyped it up for political warfare and it worked.

Unfortunately most people aren’t able to comprehend billions as most of us don’t understand world populations. Reality is most people see millions die and think it’s a high number bc we are tuned to think a million of something is a lot. Reality is it’s a drop in the bucket and nothing more than world deaths from auto accidents or any other virus lead to. Want a real pandemic... go research deaths and population reduction of Spanish flu. You will than realize this is nothing more than a disease where certain people die which is called life my man. No need to shut the world down over it. This coming from someone who got it.

Although final point I’m not complaining they did, I was smart enough to profit significantly off the idiots shutting down world economies but they should have never done it.

Mar 17, 2021, 8:27 PM

Actually we have matched the deaths in the Spanish Flu pandemic. So do we have a real pandemic yet?

The Spanish Flu lasted just over 2 years and killed about 670,000 US citizens. We are roughly just over 1 year into this pandemic and over 500,000 have died. While our technology and resources will slow down the spread soon, the rate of death over time has been similar, if not greater than Spanish Flu.

Message was edited by: NCTiger75®

Message was edited by: NCTiger75®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2021, 8:49 PM

Per the CDC 500 million people affected and estimated 50 million deaths worldwide. Not nearly as bad... we can go back further and look at Black Plague. No matter what way you spin it yes this is a blandemic.

I know more people suffering from depression than I know people who went to the hospital for covid. So yes, again if you can comprehend billions and realize people die you can understand the amount of people who died from this isn’t out of the ordinary from any other disease. It’s unfortunate but people die. Don’t shut down the economy and ruin people’s lives. Let the people who want to stay indoors do so and those who want to keep their lives keep them.

Mar 17, 2021, 9:06 PM [ in reply to Re: The COVID deniers will quote any ridiculous statistic ]

Um, you can't compare raw deaths. Spanish Influenza resulted in 1-3% of the entire population dying. That's the equivalent of 70-210 million deaths today. This pandemic has affected plenty of people, but in the grand scheme, it wasn't worth the global shutdown which resulted in untold more deaths, including suicides, and struggles like exacerbating worldwide poverty, childhood hunger, and child/spousal abuse.

Mar 17, 2021, 9:10 PM

Agree LCT... my point was this is nothing more than a political stunt. Worst part was all of the government overreach and state bailouts on the back of the American taxpayer. The ones that pay the most taxes get the least from it.

Mar 18, 2021, 10:57 AM

On the face of the "bailouts", I completely agree.

The government should not be handing out "checks" especially for for-profit entities and it is just bad practice in general to the average person. I don't think it has done a lot of good as it just cause consumer shortages for specific goods and inflated prices. What ever happened to having a saving account for emergencies? Folks confined for basically 2 months and lost their grip. Everything since July has been basically business as normal save for mass gatherings.

As for other "government overreach" there really has not been a lot there. Overall handled lightly. There has been no Federal overreach for the most part (interstate commerce is a federal item and that is where it has been heaviest). State were allowed to regulated it as they saw fit - and actually that was constitutionally appropriate as State's rights within the Police Power are specifically targeted for both Public Health and General Welfare. You can't get more constitutional "correctness" that that.

Mar 18, 2021, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Re: The COVID deniers will quote any ridiculous statistic ]

How many people would've died from the Spanish Flu had they taken similar precautions as we've done with COVID with quarantines, social distancing, masks, washing hands, etc...?

How many more people would've died from COVID had the entire world just gone about life as normal without taking any precautions at all?

It's impossible to know the answer to either of those questions, but I do think it's silly to say the precautions taken to fight COVID weren't worth it based on the amount of deaths that have occurred while taking those precautions. If over 550,000 Americans have died thus far with all the precautions then would we be looking at over a million, or perhaps a few million or more? Again, it's impossible to know, but I don't get the logic of saying 550,000 isn't a high enough number to justify the actions taken while acting as if that would've been the same number had nothing at all been done.

Mar 18, 2021, 11:09 AM

If some nuclear device suddenly wiped Greenville County (or killed it off after a year) do you think that the nation as a whole wouldn't lose their collective minds over whatever cause?

9/11 "only" lost us about 3,000 lives American lives but that completely reshaped the world. And darn straight, it should.

And finally, I think that the biggest point folks miss with Covid was not the "mortality rate" with modern health care, but rather that the uncontrolled infection rate would reduce the American health care system to the 1800s, 10% of infected would die, and the economic shutdown resulting from that loss as well as mass panic would be far worse than limiting football attendance and mask requirements. When 40 million would have dies in about 12 months, you do something. https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/196496/coronavirus-pandemic-could-have-caused-40/

It would literally be masses of ill folks arriving at a hospital with a "no vacancy" sign over the door and would you please expire quietly somewhere else.

Mar 17, 2021, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Re: .5% of the population are dropping dead from a deadly ]

User Logo
Lowcoun tryTiger9
Tiger Cub [13]
TigerPulse: 100%
Posted: Mar 17, 2021, 2:37 PM

That's not accurate. .5% is 1,650,000. It's closer to .15%.

correct. it is .5% of people that actually get it. quite the pandemic would you not say. and yes i have had it. had much worse hangovers.

nothing i said had anything to do with wearing a mask...

Mar 17, 2021, 2:40 PM [ in reply to .5% of the population are dropping dead from a deadly ]

please re-read.

Check your meter***

Mar 17, 2021, 2:42 PM

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Trust the “Experts”

Mar 17, 2021, 3:02 PM [ in reply to nothing i said had anything to do with wearing a mask... ]

you HAVE to follow the #Science, or you will kill my Nana!

“It never struck me that six feet was particularly sensical in the context of mitigation,” said Dr. Ashish Jha, dean of the Brown University School of Public Health. “I wish the C.D.C. would just come out and say this is not a major issue.”

The origin of the six-foot distancing recommendation is something of a mystery. “It’s almost like it was pulled out of thin air,” said Linsey Marr, an expert on viral transmission at Virginia Tech University.

- New York Times. March 16,2021
https://archive.is/274Fk

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Mar 17, 2021, 7:05 PM [ in reply to .5% of the population are dropping dead from a deadly ]

This is the most inaccurate statistic I've ever seen

Learn to Maffs also excess deaths are

Mar 17, 2021, 11:31 PM [ in reply to .5% of the population are dropping dead from a deadly ]

The true metric

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After the mid-term elections

Mar 17, 2021, 2:44 PM

Then it will go away due to a lack of media coverage

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am still waiting on Fauci to recommend tying

Mar 17, 2021, 2:53 PM

a plastic bag over your head to be extra careful.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: I am still waiting on Fauci to recommend tying

Mar 17, 2021, 2:58 PM

CUTiger1989®
All-In [34241]
TigerPulse: 100%
I am still waiting on Fauci to recommend tying [1]
Posted: Mar 17, 2021, 2:53 PM

a plastic bag over your head to be extra careful.

fauci is slime. anyone that believes he wants this to go away let me know i got some great swampland for sale. the is that guys last 15 minutes of fame. he aint giving up this cash cow.

Mar 17, 2021, 6:10 PM

You always been this stupid or is it covid related?

Mar 17, 2021, 10:58 PM [ in reply to I am still waiting on Fauci to recommend tying ]

It would be safer with 2 plastic bags over your head.

Thank you for wishing death upon me.

Mar 18, 2021, 9:08 AM

It means I triggered you. You're welcome.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: when do we quit with this covid stuff....

Mar 17, 2021, 6:40 PM

Not soon enough.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Today one of the nurses in my office said she vaccinated a 94

Mar 17, 2021, 6:55 PM

year old lady with her first shot. Every time I took a peak the area was filled with what appeared to be at least 65 and older adults getting shots; most of them their firsts.
I wish all the most at risk patients had the vaccine by now. It just isn’t true in our area.

Mar 17, 2021, 7:21 PM

When the virus goes bye-bye... HTH..

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2021, 8:12 AM

What do you consider “bye-bye”?

Mar 18, 2021, 8:13 AM [ in reply to Re: when do we quit with this covid stuff.... ]

What do you consider “bye-bye”?

Mar 17, 2021, 7:54 PM

When the Chinese come up with the cure!

it won't end in your lifetime. It's a hot button they'll

Mar 17, 2021, 7:59 PM

push whenever there is an election, or someone needs an advantage. Expect COVID 22-23 to be a big deal soon enough!

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Mar 17, 2021, 10:13 PM

Honestly, as much as we are testing Clemson students, the 30-hour arrival quarantine is a much bigger deal to our team than 2 more COVID tests.

Replies: 60
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic