Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Syracuse - System and/or coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,823

Syracuse - System and/or coach

Mar 21, 2021, 6:28 PM

Watching them give West Virginia all they can handle. Not the first time Syracuse has come in as a low seed and made some noise.

Aside - I have been watching Clemson basketball since they played in Fike, but claim ZERO useful basketball knowledge. Growing up in Clemson, I played for years and averaged about one point per season. You played what ever sport was in season, even if you sucked at it (I sucked. Any old timers remember the Time Drive In teams from Seneca).

Back to the point - is it the Syracuse system (zone defense, etc.) and/or the coach that makes them hard to handle in March Madness. Does no one see this system but the ACC (Bid East before then) before the NCAAs. The ACC sees it and deals with it (sometimes successfully, NOT all times). Is it different enough to give the rest of NCAA trouble for a round or three?

Just curious. Absolutely NOT an indictment of current Clemson coaches or their system. I have already stated I have ZERO useful basketball knowledge.

(Once I post this Syracuse will miss their next 20 shots. If I only had this power).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Both plus tough, clutch players.***

Mar 21, 2021, 6:40 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, you're right...have seen them do well or overachieve for

Mar 21, 2021, 6:44 PM

many years. May not like him personally and all that, but no doubt he's been a great coach. Your specific question about that zone, likewise I don't feel qualified to answer. I just see results.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: Syracuse - System and/or coach

Mar 21, 2021, 6:57 PM

Here’s a pretty good explanation from TO

https://twitter.com/coachto22/status/1373750977963118598?s=21

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2021, 7:04 PM

Well, he certainly EXCEEDS my ZERO knowledge.
Nice to have someone with experience to show me the way and provide guidance. Makes sense.

I will still not be joining a senior citizen rec league to sit on the bench.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2021, 7:17 PM

Zone defense can be a way for a team to hide less athletic players. Also, all zone are not teh same. YOu stress to your team what you want, so the coach has a huge effect. Now take players with enough talent to play lights out man D . . teach them to run a zone and you have something. That is Cuse, great kids and a system that is perfected. When I was coaching, we ran a lot of zone to hide the slow kids :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FYI - Hurt my Bracket

Mar 21, 2021, 7:29 PM

Did not have them in the game or winning.
Have to acknowledge success, though.

Both, but starts with Coach

Mar 21, 2021, 7:56 PM

He recruits kids who will fit into his system, then goes from there.
Also note, he gets big men and develops them. Most of his starters are upper class men.
He coaches hard and expects results.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Both, but starts with Coach

Mar 21, 2021, 9:11 PM

What do we recruit? Non shooters?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2021, 9:22 PM

It's Boeheim's system. The tool can coach up in big games. And kudos to Oglesby's explanation of Syracuse Zone Defense creating tournament problems for those who don't see it every year in conference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,823
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic