Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
From a team philosophy . and it cannot be denied
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,038

From a team philosophy . and it cannot be denied

Mar 19, 2021, 11:31 PM

It is so obvious, it must be taught . it just has to be. We shoot horrible, we are just not a good shooting team. But we did not lose because of that IMO. We lost on the boards. We gave, time and time again, second shots to Rutgers. Time and tie again. BUT . . on the other end of the floor, we never get O rebounds. Matter of fact, most times there's not even a Clemson player in the picture, when the ball comes off the rim. And if there is one . . that is exactly what there is . .ONE ! One player trying to rebound. I have seen this game in game out, but it wasn't more evident than tonight. This is why I have problems with parts of Brad's game, his teams. We play great defense . .we do not rebound. I do no see much blocking out. These are all learned operations, philosophies. It is not a priority and look what happens . . .

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: From a team philosophy . and it cannot be denied

Mar 19, 2021, 11:33 PM

We're ranked in the 200's in scoring every year. It won't change under Brownell. His offenses are putrid.

Mar 19, 2021, 11:38 PM

I do understand that . and having guys that can shoot the lights out is great :) But there's other ways to win. And there are basketball fundamentals. And rebounding is one of them. I have never seen a team under Brad rebound fundamentally. And not just the physics . . the mentality as well. Our plan in regards to rebounding is just criminal.

Mar 20, 2021, 12:08 AM

Great observation. I noticed that as well. When our shot goes up 3 of our guys fade back to set defense. Rutgers pounded the boards and was willing to do that because we don’t have a transition game. The odds played out in their favor tonight.

I feel like Barkley and smith are right. It is highly unlikely that a low scoring team (Clemson) can win 6 games in a row against teams that on average scores 70 points (typical NCAA field). UVA being an exception. But it was also that same UVA team that lost to a 16 seed the previous year. So I feel like their take is valid. I know brownell is a good coach, the statistics point in that direction. But we will not win the acc, NIT, or even sniff a final four with him as our coach. That I am certain. We will make the dance. Round of 16 is always a possibility. But no more than that. I feel like odds of us not scoring the needed 60 points will play out more often than we string 3 wins together in a tournament setting.

So we are stuck with a crappy position/ decision. Fire a coach that occasionally gets you to the dance; knowing that whoever we get, winning it all is still highly unlikely. Or keeping a coach that keeps you “competitive” but in all reality will never win any post season tournament of any kind. But you will not be a conference doormat. What is the best decision? I am sure that is why he will be retained, and given a modest contract but should always be on the low side of the ACC average. It is so frustrating.

Oh well, tournament is over for me. I can tell the wife to cancel Hulu until late august. Go Tigers.

Seems like Rutgers got every lose ball***

Mar 19, 2021, 11:48 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seems like Rutgers got every lose ball***

Mar 20, 2021, 12:08 AM

That's desire that allows that to happen. But it helps, if you even have players in the vicinity :) Go back and watch how many times we even had effort to get an O Rebound. Most times the players aren't even in the camera shot.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,038
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic