Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pole: Will Clemson ever win an ACC Championship in
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Pole: Will Clemson ever win an ACC Championship in

Mar 23, 2021, 9:24 AM

basketball under Brownell?

If no, what in the hayull are we doing? Have we really just turned into a bunch of pathetic losers and given up? I am very well aware of our basketball history, but I always assumed we were trying, that we had hope. Is this really where we are?

Will Clemson ever win an ACC Championship in basketball under Brownell?    [Results]

Yes
No
2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I am going to be completely candid here...

Mar 23, 2021, 9:49 AM

I though Brad Brownell was a poor choice when he was hired back in 2010, and I though he should have been fired following the the 2014/15 season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I thought he was a so-so hire at the time and my only issue

Mar 23, 2021, 10:14 AM

was "can he recruit?" He's actually getting better at recruiting but we lack the fire power of that one player to carry the rest. That's why when Zion didn't choose Clemson it was a really huge setback for Coach Brownell. Even though he would've only played 1 year it would have put us on the map with big name recruits in the future. Kinda like how CJ Spiller put us on the map with all the talent in Florida. IMO that was the pivotal moment for Brad. Had he been able to secure Zion in a Clemson jersey for one year that would have been monumental for his legacy and extremely fruitful going forward.

But if i'm honest Brad has maintained what i thought about him and maybe exceeded it some. I wouldn't have expected him to keep Clemson mid pack in the ACC every year. I did expect a couple really bad stinker years which he hasn't really had. They picked us to finish second to last again this year and we finished 4th or 5th. I mean dig at him if you want..but thats exceeding expectations. Our team was solid this year, just didn't have that consistent superstar that you need to get you over the hump like alot of you guys want. ITs about superstars. Its the same in football. The teams with the stars win the big games. Solid teams are good but those special players win you titles.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I thought he was a so-so hire at the time and my only issue

Mar 23, 2021, 10:34 AM

No , that's not why Zion didn't choose Clemson .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I thought he was a so-so hire at the time and my only issue

Mar 23, 2021, 12:15 PM

No , that's not why Zion didn't choose Clemson .

So many people complaining about basketball that have no clue what’s going on. Zion didn’t go to Clemson because him and his family were paid to go elsewhere. Steve smith tried to arrange payment without brownells knowledge and he got caught and fired.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duke offered $$$ and a cushy job for his parents***

Mar 23, 2021, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: I thought he was a so-so hire at the time and my only issue ]

Re: Pole: Will Clemson ever win an ACC Championship in

Mar 23, 2021, 10:05 AM

I voted no but that doesn't mean that I hate Clemson Men's Basketball or Brownell.

Maybe we need to recalibrate our expectations...

I think we are destined to be a middle of the pack ACC team. The ACC is normally the toughest basketball conference in the Country. For the last 3 years we have finished the regular season in the upper 3rd of the standings twice and the middle 3rd once. That's not great but it also doesn't warrant burning the program to the ground and starting over. We've had some good years and some bad years.

I think we might have to accept that our Basketball program is not going to be a National Power like Football, MSoccer (#1 in country w/ 2 nattys), WSoccer (#8 in the country), or Softball (Top 25 in 2nd year of existence).

There is an ebb and flow to all Clemson sports programs and maybe the ceiling for the Men's Basketball program is just lower. We have good kids in the program and a serviceable coach. Can we upgrade? Sure. Will we? At some point, yes. We will regress? Of course.

Just my two cents.

We could hire Winthrop’s coach and stand a much better chsnce

Mar 23, 2021, 10:10 AM

But if Brad is to stay he is going to need a shooting coach, a much better offensive scheme, and some way to keep a team intact and I realize the latter is almost impossible these days thanks to the transfer portal

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 23, 2021, 10:54 AM

Not even a slim chance.

Mar 23, 2021, 11:19 AM

I think a more fair question would be, will Clemson basketball ever win an ACC Championship?

Mar 23, 2021, 12:11 PM

We did

Explain why it's unfair to ask if Brownell will win one at

Mar 23, 2021, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Pole: Will Clemson ever win an ACC Championship in ]

Clemson, please.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Mar 23, 2021, 6:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Pole: Will Clemson ever win an ACC Championship in ]

The answer is sadly, no. No way, no how, no where.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 23, 2021, 12:13 PM

Not under Brownell. Absolutely zero chance. We came a few bad calls versus UNC from winning one under OP. It can be done at Clemson

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic