Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why are Clemson fans excited of 5th place!!!???
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Why are Clemson fans excited of 5th place!!!???

Mar 24, 2021, 12:30 PM

It’s 5th place? So we play in the ACC. So what. Does it “just mean more”?

It’s 5th place.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why are Clemson fans questioning clemson fans

Mar 24, 2021, 12:34 PM

For being excited about 5th place?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Why are Clemson fans questioning clemson fans

Mar 24, 2021, 12:39 PM

You got me there.

But I’m just baffled at the “we finished 5th! That’s so awesome because it’s the ACC!” rhetoric.

It’s just strange seeing Clemson fans settling for 5th place. Especially after we all dish on USuC for getting 5place rings.

Mar 24, 2021, 1:22 PM

I’m saying it was a great regular season because we beat more quality teams than we ever have before. We beat a school record 8 ncaa tourney teams. We also only lost to 1 non-tourney team in the regular season. It was a very solid regular season and one of the best in Clemson history.

Mar 24, 2021, 2:11 PM

I couldn't agree more. Brad's as good a coach as there is and he continues to get in-state talent. This was just a strange year in MBB. Nothing but upside for these boys.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 24, 2021, 3:04 PM

As good a coach as there is?? Ladies and gentlemen, we found Judge's new handle.

Re: Why are Clemson fans excited of 5th place!!!???

Mar 24, 2021, 12:34 PM

because we were picked 13th.......

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Mar 24, 2021, 1:17 PM

So you think it’s OK to be picked 13th in year 11 of a coaches tenure? The fact we were picked 13th as part of the problem, nobody respects the program under BB. The fact we finished higher than we were picked is great, but fifth still sucks, And that’s his best finish ever! People ignore the fact in year five Oliver Purnell finished third, And some people on here run him down. The only blemish on a piece of record is he didn’t advance in the NCAA tournament. Otherwise, he accomplished more in five years and Brownell has in 11, And started with a completely bare shelf

People forget OP darn near won the ACC one year

Mar 24, 2021, 1:25 PM

We also had several huge top 10 wins during his tenure and hosted College Gameday. Littlejohn was electric especially during league play. As you noted, the only knock against Purnell was that we never advanced in NCAA tournament play. But it's sort of a crap shoot once you get there. I chalk Brad's Sweet 16 run more up to luck and Devoe's blazing hot hand than any coaching acumen beyond what Purnell had.

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 24, 2021, 1:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Why are Clemson fans excited of 5th place!!!??? ]

So you think it’s OK to be picked 13th in year 11 of a coaches tenure? The fact we were picked 13th as part of the problem, nobody respects the program under BB. The fact we finished higher than we were picked is great, but fifth still sucks, And that’s his best finish ever! People ignore the fact in year five Oliver Purnell finished third, And some people on here run him down. The only blemish on a piece of record is he didn’t advance in the NCAA tournament. Otherwise, he accomplished more in five years and Brownell has in 11, And started with a completely bare shelf

I would not be excited to finish 5th in a pageant...

Mar 24, 2021, 12:42 PM

but cutigerbob® would.

#Perspective

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Is this ranking by perceived beauty or by height?***

Mar 24, 2021, 12:44 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I’m just hopeful Bob is beautiful...

Mar 24, 2021, 12:46 PM

on the inside.

.500 is still very good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Because it isn't 6th-15th place?***

Mar 24, 2021, 12:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: Because it isn't 6th-15th place.***

Mar 24, 2021, 12:44 PM

We were predicted 10th place, not 13th.

Is that you Ricky Bobby?

Mar 24, 2021, 12:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is that you Ricky Bobby?

Mar 24, 2021, 1:04 PM

Finally somebody who understands the Talladega Nights rule, “if you ain’t 1st your last”, of course you could be 2nd or 3rd but not coot 5th!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Mar 24, 2021, 1:09 PM

Especially in a very down year in the ACC. No Duke, UNC to push the ACC value. Virginia was not their typical self. Louisville definitely not at their standard, Cuse had to barely squeak into NCAA. FSU is playing pretty decent. But to finish 5th in the ACC this year isn't a great accomplishment. Sounds good on outside but look at it closer and you realize it was no grand defeats to reach. Multiple times there were only 2 top 25 ranked teams from the ACC, lot of weeks with no top 10, UVA kept popping in and out of top 10. Teams would make an appearance for a week or 2 and disappear for remainder of season. When normally there would be 6-8 ranked ACC teams with 1-2 in top 5 and often 3 in top 10.

I'm not sold on 5th being a great season this year. Moral victory and happy to have gotten a 5th place ribbon in a down year is not what I hope for as a fan of Clemson BBall.

Mar 24, 2021, 1:10 PM

First, don take Covidf-year's "standing" as applicable across teams.

I posted this about VT - basically they were 3rd in the standings but not really. They benefitted from playing the weaker schedule early and the postponing all of their tough road games

Sure our 16-7 or 10-6 isn't as flashy as VT's 9-4 but our wins came against better opponents and a tougher schedule. We played against more Tournament bound teams (going 8-5) as VT played conference games (going 9-4 - or 7-1 vs non-tourney teams).

So we played the tournament bound ACC team 10 times and went 5-5. VT Played the same group of teams 5 tiomes, going 2-3 and really avoided playing the ed of their schedule which had a lot of tourney bound teams on the road. If VT played 16 games and held the same results they would likely been 9-7 as they would have had games AT UVA AT FSU (really FSU twice) AT NC State, and AT UNC. They would also host UofL in Bleaksburg.

Same can be said about GT. They were able to play against more teams and more bottom teams if I recall. We swapped BC for UofL and then missed out on PITT and ND. If we played those games, we would have been 12-6 in conference and been ranked about 3rd.

Mar 24, 2021, 1:38 PM

Why does anybody care what we were projected to finish in pre-season polling? That is not a measure of success (or failure).

If we were projected to finish 1st and finished 3rd, is that failure? I'd say no...3rd is stellar even if it didn't live up to some poll's expectations. And being that highly projected means we are respected as a good basketball program.

Being projected 13th is not a positive.
Finishing 5th is unrelated to being projected 13th.

I don't think most fans are overly-excited by 5th. The team

Mar 24, 2021, 1:38 PM

played some good ball, but likewise laid some eggs. I think it's pretty clear that the ACC isn't on the top of the heap this year.

The one-and-dones in ACCT and NCAAT are certainly a bummer of a way to finish the year, and need to cause the administration to think hard about where we are.

But hey, tobacco road was looking UP at us this year!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dont teams get rings for 5th place?

Mar 24, 2021, 2:15 PM

Nevermind, that was just once by that one team.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic