Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you look at this basketball season as a whole... we
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

If you look at this basketball season as a whole... we

Mar 12, 2021, 7:43 PM

have wins against a project 2 seed (Alabama), a projected 4 seed (Purdue), and a projected 5 seed (FSU).

The only bad loss was the one vs. Miami.

It's weird. It doesn't feel like that though. Maybe it's b/c of how frustrations over the years just pile up... I don't know.

Regardless... if we good a good draw in our pod with 2 good matchups, we could be a little dangerous. I hope we can sneak into a 7 seed and avoid the 8/9. Heck, I'd rather fall to the 10 than play in the 8/9 game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you look at this basketball season as a whole... we

Mar 12, 2021, 8:54 PM

I look at it this way. We are not a powerhouse in basketball like we are in football and maybe soccer. Maybe one day, but never seems to happen.
However, we have had some well played, exciting wins this year which were a lot of fun to watch. In many parts of life, you take the bad with the good. Overall, I have enjoyed watching this team play this season and will always support every one of our athletes and teams with a paw on their uniform .

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2021, 9:06 PM

Brownell gives his team a chance to win, Lee doesn’t !

The didn't give them a chance v Miami. The last 40 sec. Was horrible***

Mar 13, 2021, 7:24 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2021, 10:57 PM

Recency bias definitely has to do with it. Pre covid we looked really really good. There was obviously a huge drop off after covid break but I’m not sure we ever got back to pre-covid form.

The regular season was a huge success. Ended poorly. That’s all it is. Let’s get a fresh start for the NCAAs!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Overall, we had a good season....

Mar 12, 2021, 11:31 PM

The biggest wins on our resume that you mentioned were all in 2020...so that’s part of the oddness of it.
We were excellent in Littlejohn all season. The UVA game was the exception...but those were strange circumstances.
We had some nice neutral court wins early...and one late neutral court loss.
We were not a good road team. Not unusual...but it just wasn’t good. Caught a break by having a few road games cancelled.
But, hey, this is Clemson basketball.
We made the NCAA tournament. Won double digit conference games while only playing 16 of them. That’s a good season.
We’ll see if we can win one in the tourney and then compete with the big guns in the 2nd game.

We finished 5th in our conference and got knocked out in the

Mar 13, 2021, 1:12 AM

1st round of our conference tournament by the 13 seed, and we are unranked. I'm not going to crucify our team over that, it's not terrible, but it's certainly nothing to brag about. The season's not over yet, however, and if we make a deep run in the tournament, then we have something to hang our hat on. Until then, all of this spinning and trying so desperately to make things sound better than they are is just sad.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: We finished 5th in our conference and got knocked out in the

Mar 13, 2021, 2:12 AM

The most critical part of the season is about to start. Being there is our accomplishment so far.

I agree - it's a starting point. We are starting as an

Mar 13, 2021, 11:05 AM

unranked 9 seed (projected) that finished 5th in our conference. If we lose the first game, that's where we finish, and that's a disappointment. It's not terrible, but dang, I'd like to be able to expect better from Clemson basketball at some point. I don't think that's unreasonable at all. Note that I pointed out that we could still have a good season if we make a deep run in the tournament.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: We finished 5th in our conference and got knocked out in the

Mar 13, 2021, 7:50 AM [ in reply to We finished 5th in our conference and got knocked out in the ]

So you want the whole season to be a bust because we lost to Miami? BTW Miami played well against Clemson and GT. Maybe change your handle to IrrationalTiger as your anger/bias has exceed your logic

No, I said something very different. You completely

Mar 13, 2021, 10:41 AM

misunderstood and/or misconstrued what I said. So far, our season has been nothing to brag about. 5th place regular season finish and unranked is nothing to brag about. That is a fact. I very clearly acknowledged that the season is not over yet, and that if we make a deep run into the tournament (win at least 2 games), it will have been a pretty good year! I guess you missed that part. How we're feeling good about anything less than that blows my mind, and explains exactly why we are doomed to permanent mediocrity. Being unranked IS NOT GOOD any way you slice it or spin it. Basketball is a competitive sport - just like football - why not aim high and expect to win big? Why on earth are we basing our expectations off of our miserable basketball history, which gurantees failure and mediocrity? Let's commit to turning that around, starting now!

- H. L. Mencken

You seem to confuse being happy with being satisfied.

Mar 13, 2021, 3:39 PM

I don’t think anyone here is satisfied with our basketball team just making the NCAA Tournament this year. We want to win and advance, hopefully making a nice run.

But it’s perfectly okay to be happy about the season we have already had. Whether you like it or not, our basketball history does matter. The fact that we are a “football school” to a fault, in a basketball conference, does matter. We can’t escape those facts. Do they have to hold us back? Of course not. But they are a big part of who we are as a basketball program.

Why can’t you have the goal of one day winning ACC championships and making Final Four appearances as your ultimate goal, while still being happy about progress toward that end? Enjoy this season. It will be just the 12th time we have made the Big Dance. It’s a notable accomplishment.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: You seem to confuse being happy with being satisfied.

Mar 13, 2021, 3:48 PM

“ The fact that we are a “football school” to a fault,”

Lol. You hate the football program so much and are so jealous of it it’s hilarious.

How on earth did you glean hatred from my post?

Mar 13, 2021, 4:10 PM

I love our football program, and I’m very proud of it. But I do feel that the importance we place on football at Clemson clouds our judgment with other sports and how to best support them.

It’s okay to really support football and have it as our top priority, but still support sports like basketball really well too. For much of our history at Clemson, it has been assumed that basketball support would take away from football or compromise it somehow. I think that’s very short-sighted. And it’s hurt our basketball program greatly these last 100 years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Lol, what on earth are you talking about? Our football...

Mar 13, 2021, 9:31 PM

...support clouds our judgement about basketball and other sports? And even compromises them somehow? And has hurt our basketball program for 100 years? A hundred years! What melodramatic drivel.

No one here expects Brad to become Dabo and take the basketball team to the Final 4 every year. Not even close. But you seem fixated on comparing the state of the two programs. That is a fool's errand. And to side-eye football's success for the lack thereof in basketball is just sad.

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

You should research the basketball program when Frank Howard was our coach

Mar 13, 2021, 9:48 PM

and later our AD.

Then you will start to understand the backstory.

There is a reason why we have the worst basketball history in the ACC, and it isn’t because we have always had bad coaches.

Mar 13, 2021, 6:58 AM

In its entirety, has been a good year. Team played hard and got some good wins.
Team is deeper, well coached.
I think some of the issues when rethinking the season are the games we lost that were blowouts, that I thought we would be competitive in.
Let’s hope we get a good draw and make some waves.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2021, 7:17 AM

Definitely for me the frustration was knowing we were better than Miami and this year I thought we as a realistic chance (albeit small) to win the ACC. The way we went out was incredibly frustrating but the OP was right this has been a good season. We need to win a few in the NCAA tourney and next year the expectation will be higher.

It’s certainly odd to read post after post here this year

Mar 13, 2021, 7:38 AM

discussing how awful we are at basketball. I just read one lumping us in with baseball as being a disappointment this year.

I just don’t understand how a finish in the top third of the conference, and undefeated non-conference schedule which included some really good teams, and an NCAA bid where we weren’t relegated to a bubble team all year is so bad to people here.

If people are projecting their frustrations over the past decade onto this season, that’s stupid because we are having a very good year. As I’ve said, this is supposed to be fun.

I see a lot of projections that have us as a 7 seed. I’d be good with that. I agree with you about avoiding the 8/9 matchup.

We’ve definitely exceeded expectations

Mar 13, 2021, 11:10 PM

Preseason #10 pick and finished #5. Great OOC wins vs Purdue and Alabama. I think we can make some noise in the NCAA tourney.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2021, 10:48 AM

Lenardi posted his update at 3 AM today. Now projects us as 8 seed in the illinois bracket and playing a 9 seed Loyola-chicago and Sister Jean

How have we done with teams that have strong inside offense and defense? Would that be a favorable placement.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2021, 10:32 PM

If you're looking for wins against teams with length, see no more than wins over Purdue and Florida State, who are two of the biggest teams in the country.

Mar 14, 2021, 12:30 AM

We had about 5 bad losses when we were getting crushed.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic