Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson women’s basketball has 5 players in the transfer portal.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 401

Clemson women’s basketball has 5 players in the transfer portal.

Apr 7, 2021, 7:08 PM

Kendall Spray
Tylar Bennett
Nique Cherry
Shania Meertens
Mikayla Hayes

There are four seniors and a redshirt junior in this group.

Here’s to getting some great transfers to replace these losses!

https://twitter.com/mattonclemson/status/1376955742008266754?s=21

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

geez, that almost half the team***

Apr 7, 2021, 7:20 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: geez, that almost half the team***

Apr 7, 2021, 7:30 PM

Why?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 8, 2021, 9:39 AM

Because of the coach..... duh. That’s what it means when you have players transfer. It’s 100% on the coach

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 7, 2021, 9:32 PM [ in reply to geez, that almost half the team*** ]

Seems to hurt especially losing Kendall Hope recruiting class and any transfers will help I’m
still in Butlers corner as she deserves more time Her teams play hard

Could it be a numbers thing? They have 5 2021 signees.***

Apr 7, 2021, 7:32 PM

Left out Kaylee Sticker transfer to Samford and Danae McNeal

Apr 7, 2021, 7:45 PM

destination unknown.

The program should recruit the Clemson campus for

Apr 7, 2021, 7:45 PM

guys who played high school basketball, ask them if they are willing to identify as ladies, and we'd have a power overnight.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And what about the two and signee for the men?

Apr 7, 2021, 7:47 PM

What transfers we got coming in, Judge?

Well, that had already been discussed extensively.

Apr 7, 2021, 7:58 PM

I had not seen any posts about the ladies.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Further proof of Brownell’s incompetence***

Apr 7, 2021, 8:23 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Frank Howard strikes again...

Apr 7, 2021, 8:25 PM

:(

“Frank Howard, as great of a guy as he was, did significant harm to our basketball program while he was the head football coach and then athletic director.” ~JK

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Frank Howard strikes again...

Apr 7, 2021, 9:23 PM

I agree with you FM or Judge Keller, who ever wrote the quote you posted. Coach Howard while a great FB coach was possibly a bad AD. FH cut corners building LJ. He did not invest in the basketball program to keep up with NC, Duke, NC State and for a while Wake Forest. Even South Carolina had a really good team while in the ACC.

Before investing all that money into renovations into LJ I wish we had decided to build a new coliseum that would catch the eye of recruits when they saw the outside.

Frank Howard focused on football. Maybe he was in over his head as the AD???

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly. It’s a conflict of interest for the football coach to also be the AD.

Apr 7, 2021, 10:19 PM

Those two roles overlapped quite a bit for Frank Howard. Of course he’s going to prioritize football, being the football coach.

And some people here want to act like those decades had nothing to do with our basketball history or why we are where we are today. Talk about denial!

I hope you keep reposting that quote.

Apr 7, 2021, 10:15 PM [ in reply to Frank Howard strikes again... ]

Because it’s a really large part of Clemson’s basketball history.

Clemson missed a huge opportunity from the 30s to the 60s to be good at basketball. We had just 10 winning seasons during those 40 years.

Joining the ACC in 1953 could’ve been used to help our basketball program, but instead we lost a lot of ground and were relegated to a cellar dweller. We had 3 overall winning seasons our first 20 years in the ACC. That’s right, 17 of our first 20 seasons in the ACC were losing seasons.

Our first 10 seasons in the ACC, we were 31-104 in conference play. Not a single winning season in ACC play during that time. A couple of those were winless seasons.

Clemson has obviously had plenty of chances since the 1970s to turn things around, but by that point we were clearly a “football school” with a pathetic basketball history, with no desire from leadership or most boosters to try to change it.

Re: I hope you keep reposting that quote.

Apr 7, 2021, 10:43 PM

Judge, you keep harping on the history. History is the past. It really has nothing to do with now. Do you really think history is THAT big of a role? These kids only know the last 10-15 years. You said it yourself a couple days ago, if it mattered that much, Baylor never would have won. Yale and Princeton would still be winning every sport.

Sure, it doesn't hurt in recruiting, but not sure it helps much either. If so, Dabo wouldn't have been able to win. The ACC was Fla St and that was it. He took down goliath.

That's what Brad's got to do. And since this is about women's bball, how good of a hire was Amanda Butler? She really didn't do squat at Fla... When it was easy to recruit in the SEC.

In that respect, Brad ought to be ripin it in recruiting. A la Dabo, come here and help take goliath down. Just like SEC, sell that you're playing against the best.

At some point, it's all about coaching.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When Dabo arrived at Clemson

Apr 7, 2021, 11:00 PM

we had just had a top 5 recruiting class under the previous coach. We packed the stadium consistently. Stadium improvements had started several years prior, including constriction on the West End Zone. And recruits could look around Death Valley and see signs noting a national championship as well as multiple conference championships in our history.

Dabo had a lot to sell. He took over a proud program with a lot going for it. He has obviously done a phenomenal job. But I would argue that FSU’s demise was more about poor decisions FSU made than it was Dabo’s doing.

What does Brownell have to sell? Recruits don’t show up to a packed arena with loud fans. They don’t see banners for a national championship or conference championship. Dabo is a great salesman, but let’s stop acting like he didn’t have anything to sell. He had a lot to sell. And he was granted huge budgets for his assistants to help with coaching and recruiting to take the program to the next level. Loads of facility upgrades occurred too.

Baylor overcame their bad basketball history with an intense focus on facility upgrades, and being patient with the coach they hired. Of course we can overcome our basketball history. Seasons like this past one are evidence of that. But the point is that it takes extraordinary effort and commitment to overcome it. We can’t just throw some money at basketball every now and then. We need to do so regularly and intentionally.

Of course coaching is a big key. There is a reason why Clemson basketball overachieves under Brownell relative to what we pay him, what we spend on basketball, and what our history is. It’s because he’s a really good coach. Just imagine what he will accomplish if Clemson can learn from Baylor’s case study.

Re: When Dabo arrived at Clemson

Apr 7, 2021, 11:29 PM

It's late for this ole lady and it was a stressful day following golf. But, you say he's overachiever. I would highly debate you on that. With his recruiting, I'd say it's a push at best. He's taking 40-50 ish rated recruit classes. To me if he was an overachiever, we'd be dancing every season and possibly rnd of 32 in there.

Underachieving would be missing everything or going to nit and one and done.

Can't argue facilities, maybe we should have torn down lj, but we did do upgrades. As for salary, he's paid pretty good in relation to what others are paid and what they've achieved.

Is he really that good of a coach? What'd he do this year to say, yeah his coaching won us that game... We won when we shot the 3 ball well, lost when we didn't. More than once, we had a hot hand on the floor only for Brad to bench them and not work plays to get them a shot.

Team after team I watched in the dance when someone was feeling it, said team dished them the ball and said player stayed in the game.

Oh yeah, great play in last shot of Miami game to a kid who'd been ice cold all night... He drew every player to him, and Tyson was wide #### open in the corner, Tyson was on fire too. That would have been good coach in ng.

Dabo arrived at Clemson in 2003...

Apr 8, 2021, 8:53 AM [ in reply to When Dabo arrived at Clemson ]

or did you mean when he was promoted to Head Coach?

The large salary budget for assistants happened later in his head coaching tenure. If you recall, Dabo gave part of his own salary to assistants since the administration wouldn't pay them more.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Again. The past doesn't matter.

Apr 8, 2021, 8:56 AM [ in reply to When Dabo arrived at Clemson ]

Do you think if clemson promoted Spence or koening they would be in the same place we are today?

Brownell took the job.
He has a boss which means he has expectations.

All the excuses for and against are irrelevant. People who think he should go should call or email the AD. These posts are getting redicoulsy monotanouse.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Again. The past doesn't matter.

Apr 8, 2021, 8:56 AM [ in reply to When Dabo arrived at Clemson ]

Do you think if clemson promoted Spence or koening they would be in the same place we are today?

Brownell took the job.
He has a boss which means he has expectations.

All the excuses for and against are irrelevant. People who think he should go should call or email the AD. These posts are getting redicoulsy monotanouse.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: I hope you keep reposting that quote.

Apr 8, 2021, 3:37 AM [ in reply to Re: I hope you keep reposting that quote. ]

I'm a true believer that the past is what helps to build a future!!! Bad past equals a mediocre future!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now that it’s been established Littlejohn was built...

Apr 8, 2021, 6:10 AM [ in reply to I hope you keep reposting that quote. ]

while Howard was AD, at significant cost to the university, 20x more than was spent to build Memorial Stadium in today’s dollars, debunking the myth that basketball only got “scraps”, we are blaming other opportunities missed from the 1930’s - construction of Littlejohn in the 1960’s for today’s basketball woes?

Start looking for reasons you can, not reasons you can’t.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

If only the admin had built them a slide....

Apr 7, 2021, 8:26 PM

Oh, and if we had fans with rabies.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson women’s basketball has 5 players in the transfer portal.

Apr 7, 2021, 8:27 PM

Wow and not 1 post calling for Coach Butler to be fired.

Apr 7, 2021, 9:34 PM

She has not been here for 11 seasons

Apr 7, 2021, 9:06 PM

Similar to her career at Florida. Terrific job her first year with players who rarely won at Clemson. Second and this year we’re not good. We should be patient, I guess.

Apr 7, 2021, 9:10 PM

I HATE the transfer portal. It is going to be the downfall of amateur sports. It occasionally happens in HS when a kid goes to live with a relative or the family moves so the kid can go to the HS of his choice. What’s sad is academic’s don’t seem as important anymore. Every parent thinks through extra coaching they can turn their kid into the next TL, ETN, Sammy Watkins, Mike Williams etc... They do not realize just how few actually make it. Very few athletic college scholarships, NFL, NBA or MLB contracts or high paying HCing jobs.

Now you can’t log on to the daily news without seeing several athletes in the transfer portal. All these kids who enter the portal will find out in adult life there are no transfer portals. But some in the government are trying to create for some people a portal they can enter so they can find ways out hard work and competition through bureaucratic government programs. That will enable some people to become non productive individuals who do not want to make positive contributions to make this great country better. They seem to be looking for the easy way out.

IMO the transfer portal is teaching kids if life gets to hard they can enter the transfer portal looking for easier options or a way to avoid competition for a spot in sports or in life.

IMO this has to hurt recruiting in all Clemson sports. If I was a HC like Dabo when my contract was up so would my coaching career.

The kids will be running the programs by then. They have a good foothold now! The NCAA has lost control of college sports and they will never get it back!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate the transfer portal too.***

Apr 7, 2021, 11:04 PM

Apr 7, 2021, 9:11 PM

And it's only going to get worse. Ladies and gents, stick a fork in college sports as we once knew it. Sadly, imho, it's being driven by millionaire owners selling a pipe dream just like the lottery. Instant potatoes.

These youngsters have no clue of what the "college experience" is supposed to be.

I agree. It’s really sad.***

Apr 7, 2021, 10:26 PM

Replies: 30
| visibility 401
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic