Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC team performance in the last 4 years
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

ACC team performance in the last 4 years

Apr 1, 2021, 2:58 PM

I keep hearing from people that a 5th place ACC finish isn't anything to brag about. It is mediocre and we shouldn't settle for mediocrity. I decided to look back the last 4 years and see how many top 5 finishes each team has had. I did the last 4 years because we have had 4 seasons in the newly renovated Little John Here is the list.

UVA - 4
Duke - 3
FSU - 3
UNC - 2
GT - 2
Clemson - 2
VT - 2
Louisville - 1
Miami - 1
NCSU - 0
ND - 0
Syracuse - 0
Pittsburgh - 0
BC - 0
WF - 0

So as far as top 5 finishes are concerned, we have performed as good or better than every team in the ACC except for 3 teams

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC team performance in the last 4 years

Apr 1, 2021, 3:41 PM

It’s still 5th place. Not 1st. Yeah we had a decent year. But it’s still 5th. And we wet the bed on the first round of both tournaments.

You can polish a turd as much as you want. It’s still a turd.

Apr 1, 2021, 3:44 PM

Yea I can state facts and compare our performance to other schools in the league.

You think we should perform as well as Duke and unc on an annual basis. That would be nice and we can maybe get there at some point but it’s completely unrealistic at this point.

I bet if you were a Duke football fan you would be perplexed as to why they aren’t competing with Clemson for national championships.

So you expect to finish first in the ACC

Apr 1, 2021, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC team performance in the last 4 years ]

despite the fact that we have only done so once in the regular season in our 100+ year basketball history?

It's one thing to want to finish first - we ALL do - but to expect it at this point? And to consider anything less than that a disappointment? Come on.

You do realize that Clemson's basketball expenditures are historically at the bottom of the conference, right?

Brad is the 10th highest paid coach in the ACC.

We're getting an outstanding value.

Now if you want to set goals for basketball, such as winning the ACC, playing in the Final Four, etc., that's great! A set of goals, with a detailed road map on how to get there, is excellent. But we have to walk before we can run. Finishing in the top 1/3rd of the ACC and making the NCAA Tournament this year is a step in the right direction, and one that actual fans of Clemson basketball can appreciate.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: So you expect to finish first in the ACC

Apr 1, 2021, 5:39 PM

Hey I’m not flaming you or disagreeing, but where and how much are the other schools outspending us? Recruiting? Asst coaches? Tutors? Facilities? How much money are we talking about?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2021, 4:04 PM

I’m okay with top 5 in the ACC if we can do that consistently. My issue is the postseason. I think we should be able to consistently win at least our first ACC tournament game. I think we should be in the NCAA tournament 3 out of 4 seasons and I think we should win at least 1 game 2 of those 3 years. I don’t think those are unreasonable goals, but they seem out of reach.

Apr 1, 2021, 4:05 PM

I agree with you on this.

Apr 1, 2021, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC team performance in the last 4 years ]

I too would be OK if we Average top 5. But that means occasionally being 1,2 as well as 7,8.
The way we are now, 5th is considered winning.
I was a little less ambitious on ncaa. Thinking more like 50%+.

I want to go into post season thinking we have a chance to do damage and maybe just maybe, get hot and do the unthinkable.
I want to be disappointed when we don’t make the tourney. Not overly excited that we got in. (Doing this makes it seem like goals were met.)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2021, 4:14 PM

I can agree with this as well.

Apr 1, 2021, 4:18 PM

And that’s all I’m arguing. I know it’s not realistic to win the acc every year. An average top 5 would be great. As long as we get a 1 or 2 in there every couple years. It’s not to much to ask for IMO. Maybe even win the ACC once a decade. Why are these asks so outrageous to you and others on this board that are so content with 5th place.

Who here is content with 5th place?

Apr 1, 2021, 4:31 PM

I'm not.

But you better believe it's an accomplishment at this point, given our basketball history and our investment in basketball at Clemson.

It's not the be-all end-all, but a definite step in the right direction. Why can't some of you appreciate that?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

5th place

Apr 1, 2021, 4:20 PM

I think the issue, at least for me, is hanging our hat on 5th place. We bombed out of the 2 win or go home games at the end of the year and didn’t look great doing so. Other than positioning yourself for postseason success, which we didn’t take advantage of, I don’t think the regular season standings are all that important. I’d take 7th place, a couple of wins in the ACC tournament and advancing to the round of 32 and wouldn’t care that we finished in 7th.

Apr 1, 2021, 4:25 PM

So obviously you are completely supportive and behind the coots 5th place rings they got back in 2013, right?

Historically they are a bad football program and finishing 5th in the sec was a cause for celebration, right?

Maybe Brad should order some 5th place rings for the team. Surely you would be behind that, right?

No one is clamoring for 5th place rings.

Apr 1, 2021, 4:32 PM

But something is wrong if you can't see a top 1/3rd ACC finish as an accomplishment for our men's basketball program.

Apr 1, 2021, 9:32 PM

So 2 seasons in Top 5 and 2 seasons not in the top 5. Soulnfs like the definition of mediocrity to me.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic