Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Our Baseball Program Has Me Concerned
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Our Baseball Program Has Me Concerned

Apr 18, 2021, 5:26 PM

I usually don't come on the board voicing complaints about our Clemson athletic programs. I leave that to the experts. However, I did have several years of coaching Little League teams many years ago and those teams enjoyed their share of success. Some things about the game have changed but the fundamentals remain the same. The strange thing is I knew what to do but did not have the talent to do the basic things.

Over the past several years I've noticed a problem with our batting, a problem I would put at the forefront. Errors will always be a part of the game, even in the major leagues, so we need a good offensive effort to offset errors and lack of pitching. Here we are a Power 5 team with excellent facilities and fan support but lose mid-week games to lesser teams. Is our team less talented or is coaching and other factors involved? I have not attended games this year and really don't know how to evaluate the talent level.

One of my other concerns is the number of injuries we seem to incur in the pre-season and the regular season. I've not seen any reports re other teams so don't know if this is a widespread problem. Not knowing all of the facts I will not call for the firing of Coach Lee but it is obvious that our athletic administration should take a serious study of our baseball program.

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our Baseball Program Has Me Concerned

Apr 18, 2021, 5:31 PM

I have seen several things floated this week that do NOT involve firing this staff. We need more players from Haiti, choke up on our bats more, not play so stupidly, and not be the worst team in the history of Clemson Baseball. These all seem like good ideas.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw a pretty good baseball movie with Brad Pitt

Apr 18, 2021, 5:49 PM

where they just tried to get one base at a time. Maybe a team movie night would help?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is not an excuse

Apr 18, 2021, 6:13 PM

As I don’t have a fight in the ML saga but will tell you many mid-tier colleges have one ace pitcher. We also (rightfully) focus on the bigger weekend games.
In many instances we will face their ace and our mid-week pitcher is typically not our strongest. So, it changes the dynamics somewhat. Not to say we shouldn’t win more than we lose but it is a factor.
I think we had an outstanding team last year and Covid ruined the season. Had we won 45ish games in 2020, this year would be more tolerable given how young this team is. Just a bit of bad luck frankly

badge-donor-10yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is not an excuse

Apr 18, 2021, 6:55 PM

The majority of Miami’s starting players are freshmen and sophomores, similar to Clemson. The majority of teams the Tigers play have faced the same issues/difficulties that Clemson has. Whether it’s COVID, limited scholarships, Title 9, etc., what a makes a coach and builds a program is how they face these challenges. Last year was a difficult year for everyone. Here’s the question: Has this program advanced or gone backwards since Monte Lee has been here?

Apr 18, 2021, 7:57 PM [ in reply to This is not an excuse ]

That is absolutely untrue. Our midweek opponents have Friday, Saturday, and Sunday starters just like we do. They do not pitch in the midweek. These teams normally pitch a bullpen game because they don’t have a good enough fourth starter.

They are much more concerned with their conference games so they aren’t going to waste their Friday starter against a team that normally outmatches them considerably.

Apr 18, 2021, 9:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2021, 8:00 PM [ in reply to This is not an excuse ]

Last year our first 20 or so games were against very weak teams. If the season played out, we likely don’t win 45 games. Our hitting was even worse last year, but we had much better pitching in Weatherly and Strider. That would have won more games for us, but I expect we would have been a 2 or 3 seed in a regional.

Apr 18, 2021, 7:42 PM

Hopefully after this season, D Rad will make the right decision. It's been so disappointing to watch.

Apr 18, 2021, 7:45 PM

Based on what he has done with Brownell he has no clue !

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2021, 8:24 PM

I am old enough to remember when Clemson baseball was one of the dominant teams in the ACC. In Jack Leggett,s later years, We fell to a mid tier team. Now we are a low tier team, but baseball is a game of confidence. Our confidence in pitching and hitting is low right now. Not giving up on Monte yet, as I saw what he did with C of C here in the Lowcountry. But our program belongs in the top tier of the ACC!

Apr 18, 2021, 8:31 PM

C of C and Clemson aren't in the same league, based on what happened Tuesday I am glad we are not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2021, 9:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Our Baseball Program Has Me Concerned ]

He only held status quo at CofC - he made no significant improvement in that program. And with a step up the ladder he has taken the program to lows not seen in 50+ years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Apr 18, 2021, 9:49 PM

Apr 18, 2021, 9:32 PM

When Joe21 speaks I usually just read and TU. Here's my educated guess since I'm not in the dugout. It is hitting. I've often heard Monte preach, "see the ball up" . modern philosophy with the shifts and/or defense has coaches wanting to hit over the shift and not ground balls into it. Hit with power, and try to hit to the gaps. So your launch angles and swing plane changes. That's why pitchers We see throw us nothing but breakers and offspeed. We have real coaches on here that could expand and explain much better.

Bottom line though, Monte isn't bringing in the talent. This year, as explained above, is an anomaly and we're young. However, the talent he's bringing in will get us in regionals most years. 35-40 win team depending on schedule. But as soon as we have to win several games in a regional, we can't compete with the elite talent of the vandy's, Fla, Fla St, Miami etc. Once in a blue moon, we might get hot, get a good draw and make a Super. It was going down with Jack. Once schollys changed and oos money dried, he wasn't recruiting elite anymore either.

1. Find way to recruit
2. Change philosophical

Monte hasn't shown on the outside any attempt to do either but I can't say what goes on behind closed doors.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Perhaps an inspirational speaker or two would help

Apr 18, 2021, 9:58 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic