Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So why exactly did we fire Leggett?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 3,073

So why exactly did we fire Leggett?

Mar 9, 2021, 6:49 PM

We're consistently getting worse every year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In my opinion, we were too caught up in

Mar 9, 2021, 6:55 PM

The coots success in Omaha. Had they been average, Jack would still be here. Obviously losing to them twice, two times. But we were in the final four. We slipped a little during the end of his tenure, but he still was constantly getting us to the tournament. We were freaking spoiled and did not appreciate what we had. It’s a shame, monte has not sniffed even the super regionals.

ALL IN!!

For the same reasons we should be looking

Mar 9, 2021, 6:57 PM

for someone new.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: So why exactly did we fire Leggett?

Mar 9, 2021, 7:34 PM

It was time for Jack to retire. He had a great career.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 9, 2021, 7:39 PM

It was time for him for to go, however we hired a coot reject.

It would be like hiring Ellis Johnson as our football coach because he was Def. Coord. under Spurrier.

Mar 9, 2021, 7:40 PM

That ship has sailed. We got a new problem.

Mar 9, 2021, 8:32 PM

He was awesome., but his teams underachieved(at least, in post season play) I miss Coach Jack.! We were fundamentally solid and tough.
He wasn’t losing 12-2 to USC -Freaking Up-State....?
I get it.....college baseball(has parity) and a long season. I’m not giving up on our Lads. My concern is:
What is our current baseball identity under Monte Lee?? Anyone have a clue? What are we good at? What are we known for?
Please—- I know we’re young....lot’s “of talent” ....?? Let’s see it.—-
But.,, I’m not sold on Lee...or See......who ever else that rhymes with these names.
Hopefully I’m overreacting.,, but I love Clemson Baseball.
Go Tigers!!
R.R.

R.R.

You have a great screen name!***

Mar 9, 2021, 8:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Because we had some highly publicized losses to the Coots

Mar 9, 2021, 8:38 PM

and the baseball faithful were jelly. They didn't consider that things could actually be worse.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Because we had some highly publicized losses to the Coots

Mar 9, 2021, 8:56 PM

Your assumptions with every possible coaching change is, things could get worse.

In Jacks last season, we lost to a very bad Charleston Southern. Along with getting embarrassed in postseason play the last 5 years of his existence. It was time for him to go.

DRad making a bad hire doesn’t unjustify the need to get rid of Leggett.

Clemson baseball is a blue blood in the baseball world. And it’s time DRad treats it as such.

This isn’t basketball, where going postseason 3 out of 11 years is acceptable. It’s time to properly allocate money/ resources to the sports people actually care about. And baseball definitely falls into that category. Go find the best coach out there, and get him to Clemson.

Mar 9, 2021, 11:26 PM

Clemson was a bluebood in baseball with exactly 2 coaches. Leggett had an incredible coaching tree but we burnt it to the ground by firing him. Wilhelm/Leggett were what made us what we were. We shat on that and now act surprised it didn’t work out great? We fired a Hall of Famer with 6 Omaha trips for a guy who’d never been. What, exactly, did most people think would happen? Based on this message board in 2015, Tiger Field had magic ####### powers that Leggett had been suppressing and we’d have won at least 2 titles by now.

Mar 10, 2021, 12:33 AM

That narrows it down to 40 years or so...

Acknowledging that things could get worse is not the same

Mar 9, 2021, 11:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Because we had some highly publicized losses to the Coots ]

as assuming they will get worse.

I didn’t have a problem with us moving on from Leggett. The program seemed to have lost some ground and we all wanted more. But we were still successful toward the end of Jack’s tenure here, and assuming that any coach could do no worse than him was a really bad assumption. Firing him was a huge risk.

Clemson baseball is important. It’s third in line behind football and basketball, which means it is the most important of the sports on campus that lose money. The AD has prioritized it plenty, as evidenced by the recent facility upgrades.

You and others act like the AD doesn’t care just because he hasn’t fired Monte already. DRad isn’t going to let Monte or any other coach go in the middle of a season, especially during a pandemic, so please stop calling for him to be fired.

Like him or not, Monte is our coach. Support him this season, and save your final judgment for after the season. That’s what DRad will do.

Re: Acknowledging that things could get worse is not the same

Mar 10, 2021, 6:46 AM

“ You and others act like the AD doesn’t care just because he hasn’t fired Monte already. DRad isn’t going to let Monte or any other coach go in the middle of a season, especially during a pandemic, so please stop calling for him to be fired.”

This is your m.o. in a nutshell and what that makes you completely insufferable. I have literally never said anything you attribute to me in this quote. I’ve never posted the A.D. doesn’t care. I’ve never posted that we should fire Monte, much less midseason. It’s a textbook straw man argument and it’s all you do.

Jack’s last few years were bad

Mar 9, 2021, 11:20 PM

Including that 18-1 loss in regionals to Oregon

Replies: 14
| visibility 3,073
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic