|Hopkins named Second Team All-American by Phil Steele|
|by TigerNet Staff - Saturday, December 8, 2012 12:57 PM||
Hopkins finished the regular season with 69 receptions for 1214 yards and 16 touchdowns. His 16 touchdowns rank second in the nation and are just one short of the ACC single season record of 17 set by Duke’s Clarkston Hines in 1989. Hopkins has already set the Clemson season touchdown record and he needs just six receiving yards to break Sammy Watkins record of 1219 set last year.
The native of nearby Central, SC averages 17.6 yards per catch and is eighth in the nation in reception yards per game at 101.2. He has 18 catches of 25 yards or more this year, second in the nation, and also has the lead in touchdown catches in the first half this year with 12.
Twice this year, against Ball State and Duke, Hopkins had three touchdown receptions in less than nine minutes.
Hopkins has caught at least one touchdown pass in nine straight games, tying the ACC record of nine in a row set by Herman Moore of Virginia in 1990.
Hopkins is one of three Clemson players to be named an All-American this year. Earlier Tajh Boyd and Dalton Freeman were both named first-team All-Americans by the American Football Coaches Association. Freeman has also been named second team by the Walter Camp Foundation, Fox Sports and Lindy’s. Boyd has been named a third team selection by Lindy’s as well.
|Send Feedback to TigerNet Staff: Email | Comment||
- Spurrier tells Gamecock fans to circle the Clemson game
- Clemson rated as #1 overrated bowl winner for 2015 season
- Clemson GA has accepted position with Buffalo Bills
- DMac is Back, and he's excited about the chance to work with young secondary talent
- Photo: C.J. Spiller and Ray Ray McCloud
- Clemson DB out for spring after ACL surgery
- Former Clemson RB signee enrolls at Memphis
- Howard's Rock vandal faces additional charges and jail time
- ESPN to visit Clemson for National Signing Day
- Clemson ranked in Top 25 of Preseason ranking