|Groundbreaking for Tiger Band Plaza set for homecoming weekend|
|Press Release - Thursday, November 8, 2012 10:25 AM||
CLEMSON — The Clemson University Tiger Band Association will break ground on the Tiger Band Plaza at 12:15 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 10, the morning of Clemson’s homecoming game against Maryland.
The association raised more than $1 million for the plaza construction. Funds raised above the cost of construction will go into an endowment for Tiger Band scholarships.
“The groundbreaking brings to fruition a huge commitment by many people over the last few years,” said Mark Spede, Clemson's band director. “Once finished, it will be an incredible gateway to the Tiger Band practice field and a new destination point for all Clemson fans.”
Tiger Band Association President Ed Evans said that the plaza will create an ongoing legacy for band alumni.
“Band alumni, both young and old, can participate in this legacy. By purchasing a brick, their contribution to Clemson and Tiger Band will be preserved forever. Each graduating Tiger Band member will be able to add his or her name to the plaza,” he said.
Construction will start in 2013. Donations for the project are a part of Clemson’s The Will to Lead capital campaign to raise $1 billion to support students and faculty with scholarships, professorships, facilities, technology and enhanced opportunities for learning and research.
The Clemson University Tiger Band Association is a support organization for the band. Founded in 1977, it serves as the fundraising arm for Tiger Band for such projects as the plaza and scholarships for deserving band students. Its members participate in Alumni Band and march with Tiger Band at the First Friday Parade and the homecoming game.
- Swinney speaks to Guillermo, hopes center can rejoin the team
- ESPN ranks Clemson with toughest ACC nonconference schedule
- Booker fires back at former teammate
- WATCH: Williams with one-handed catch at Spring Game
- Former Clemson assistant coach hired by SE Missouri St.
- WATCH: Swinney does cadence count at Lee Brice Concert
- Thank you Letter to Clemson Family from Robert Smith
- WATCH: Clemson Spring Game Highlights
- Former Clemson RB named high school AD
- WATCH: ESPN Sports Science with Vic Beasley