|Groundbreaking for Tiger Band Plaza set for homecoming weekend|
|Press Release - Thursday, November 8, 2012 10:25 AM||
CLEMSON — The Clemson University Tiger Band Association will break ground on the Tiger Band Plaza at 12:15 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 10, the morning of Clemson’s homecoming game against Maryland.
The association raised more than $1 million for the plaza construction. Funds raised above the cost of construction will go into an endowment for Tiger Band scholarships.
“The groundbreaking brings to fruition a huge commitment by many people over the last few years,” said Mark Spede, Clemson's band director. “Once finished, it will be an incredible gateway to the Tiger Band practice field and a new destination point for all Clemson fans.”
Tiger Band Association President Ed Evans said that the plaza will create an ongoing legacy for band alumni.
“Band alumni, both young and old, can participate in this legacy. By purchasing a brick, their contribution to Clemson and Tiger Band will be preserved forever. Each graduating Tiger Band member will be able to add his or her name to the plaza,” he said.
Construction will start in 2013. Donations for the project are a part of Clemson’s The Will to Lead capital campaign to raise $1 billion to support students and faculty with scholarships, professorships, facilities, technology and enhanced opportunities for learning and research.
The Clemson University Tiger Band Association is a support organization for the band. Founded in 1977, it serves as the fundraising arm for Tiger Band for such projects as the plaza and scholarships for deserving band students. Its members participate in Alumni Band and march with Tiger Band at the First Friday Parade and the homecoming game.
- Swinney responds to John Oliver's jab of Soybean Wind
- Swinney updates Deshaun Watson's rehab
- Clemson LB moves to DE
- Moped accident puts Clemson DB in yellow jersey
- Photo: Kevin Hart in Clemson
- Kiper says Beasley has "mixed opinions" on his draft value
- WATCH: Spiller and Ford give tour of new Clemson NFL Locker Room
- Clemson's betting odds to win 2016 Title
- Booker: "He got his stats and he got the L as always"
- Saints HC: Spiller is "the most explosive player on the field"