|Clemson vs. VT postgame notes|
|by TigerNet Staff - Saturday, October 20, 2012 10:30 PM||
Memorial Stadium – Clemson, SC
October 20, 2012
* Clemson has now won 11 consecutive games at Memorial Stadium, which ties the school record. Clemson went 7-0 at home in 2011 and is 4-0 at home this season. The last time Clemson won 11 straight at Memorial Stadium was in 1991. The streak started on October 21, 1989 with a 31-10 over NC State and ended with a 20-20 tie against Virginia on October 12, 1991.
* Clemson is now 20-12-1 all-time against Virginia Tech and 9-6-1 against the Hokies at Clemson.
* Clemson had three interceptions and four total takeaways in today’s game. That is most interceptions and takeaways by Clemson in a game since last season against North Carolina when the defense forced six turnovers, including three interceptions.
* Clemson is now 5-1 under Dabo Swinney in opponent redemption games (when Clemson defeated the opposing team the previous season and that team seeks redemption the following year) at Memorial Stadium.
* Clemson held Virginia Tech to just seven points in the second half of today’s game. That is the fifth time this season that the Clemson defense has allowed seven points or fewer in the second half of a game.
* Tajh BoydTajh Boyd
RS Jr. Quarterback
#10 6-1, 225
View Full Profile rushed for his third touchdown of the season in the second quarter of today’s game. He now has a rushing touchdown in each of the last three games. He is the first Clemson quarterback to rush for a touchdown in three straight games since Woodrow Dantzler had a rushing touchdown in three straight games in 2001.
* Boyd scored another rushing touchdown in the fourth quarter to give him two for the game. It is the first time a Clemson quarterback has had multiple rushing touchdowns in a game since 2001 when Dantzler had 22 carries for 59 yards and two rushing touchdowns against Florida State.
* Boyd finished the game 12-for-21 passing for 160 yards, which gives him 6,065 passing yards for his career. That moves him past Dantzler for second all-time in Clemson history in passing yards. Charlie WhitehurstCharlie Whitehurst
#6 6-4, 225
View Full Profile is Clemson’s career leader in passing yards with 9,665.
* Jonathan MeeksJonathan Meeks
#5 6-1, 210
Rock Hill, SC
View Full Profile recorded two interceptions in the second quarter, including a 74-yard interception return for a touchdown, to give him seven career interceptions. It is the first interception return for a touchdown since last season when Kourtnei BrownKourtnei Brown
#90 6-6, 255
View Full Profile took one 20 yards for a touchdown against North Carolina.
* Meeks is also the first Clemson player to have two interceptions in a game since 2009 when DeAndre McDanielDeAndre McDaniel
#2 6-1, 180
View Full Profile had two interceptions against Miami (FL).
* Meeks’ 74-yard interception return is the longest interception return by a Clemson player since 2006 when Jock McKissic returned an interception return 83 yards for a touchdown against South Carolina.
* Xavier BrewerXavier Brewer
Gr. Defensive Back
#9 5-11, 190
View Full Profile intercepted his first pass of the season in the fourth quarter, giving him four for his career.
* Chandler CatanzaroChandler Catanzaro
RS Jr. Punter / Kicker
#39 6-2, 195
View Full Profile made his 20th consecutive field goal at the end of the first quarter. He is now in sole possession of fourth place on the Clemson career field goals list with 56.
* DeAndre HopkinsDeAndre Hopkins
Jr. Wide Receiver
#6 6-2, 205
View Full Profile scored his ninth touchdown of the season in the third quarter. Hopkins has now scored a touchdown in four straight games and six of the seven games this season. He finished the game with three catches for 68 receiving yards.
* Sammy WatkinsSammy Watkins
So. Wide Receiver
#2 6-1, 205
Fort Myers, FL
View Full Profile finished today’s game with eight catches for 84 yards. Each of his first four receptions of the game resulted in a first down. He now has 106 career receptions. Both figures from today were season-highs for Watkins.
* Andre EllingtonAndre Ellington
RS Sr. Running Back
#23 5-10, 195
Moncks Corner, SC
View Full Profile had 19 carries for 96 yards and scored his seventh rushing touchdown of the season in the third quarter.
* Tony StewardTony Steward
#7 6-1, 235
View Full Profile recorded his first career takeaway in the second quarter when he recovered a fumble.
* Rashard HallRashard Hall
#31 6-2, 210
St. Augustine, FL
View Full Profile led the Tigers on defense with 12 tackles in today’s game, including 0.5 tackle for loss. Jonathan WillardJonathan Willard
RS Sr. Linebacker
#46 6-2, 225
View Full Profile added 10, including 1.5 tackles for loss
|Send Feedback to TigerNet Staff: Email | Comment||
|Discuss this update on the Football Board - Chat about this update in TigerActive Chat|
10/9 - WATCH: Tajh Boyd throws 2 TD's in FXFL debut10/6 - WATCH: FXFL National TV Commercial9/18 - Tajh Boyd signs with FXFL team9/12 - Tajh Boyd to workout for NFL team9/9 - Tajh Boyd works out for NFL team8/30 - Clemson vs Georgia Notes8/30 - Tajh Boyd on being released by the Jets8/30 - Jets release QB Tajh Boyd8/29 - Tajh Boyd uses Madden analogy for NFL transition