|Dabo's Rant Saved Clemson|
|Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:37 AM-||
From Free Times:
“I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you’re no Jack Kennedy.” —Democratic vice presidential candidate Lloyd Bentsen to Republican vice presidential candidate Dan Quayle during televised debate (Oct. 5, 1988)
Why start a column about football with a political quote? Because not since Lloyd Bentsen peeled the scalp off Dan Quayle’s perfectly coiffed head almost a quarter-century ago has there been a putdown as visceral or as memorable as Dabo’s rant on the Gamecocks. To wit:
“That’s why Carolina’s in Chapel Hill and USC’s in California and the university in this state always has been, always will be Clemson … So, you can print that, tweet that, whatever.” — Clemson head coach Dabo SwinneyDabo Swinney
View Full Profile (Dec. 1, 2011)
The difference in the two quotes is that Dabo’s mattered. While Bentsen’s shot diminished Quayle, it didn’t prevent George Bush the first from defeating Michael Dukakis. Conversely, I think Dabo’s rant saved Clemson.
|Send Feedback to TigerNet Staff: Email | Comment||
- WATCH: Swinney dances in the 'Running Man Challenge'
- Kearse: "I'm going to make the other 31 teams pay"
- Alexander tweets picture of his new jersey number
- Watson ranked #1 overall 2017 NFL Draft prospect
- Alexander: "It’s time to prove people wrong"
- Kearse selected #244 overall in 2016 NFL Draft
- WATCH: Clemson Football 2016 Season Hype Video
- Report: Vikings agree to terms with Alexander, Kearse
- Alexander selected #54 overall in 2016 NFL Draft
- Two Tigers ranked in Top 20 for 2017 NFL Draft