|Dabo's Rant Saved Clemson|
From Free Times:
“I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you’re no Jack Kennedy.” —Democratic vice presidential candidate Lloyd Bentsen to Republican vice presidential candidate Dan Quayle during televised debate (Oct. 5, 1988)
Why start a column about football with a political quote? Because not since Lloyd Bentsen peeled the scalp off Dan Quayle’s perfectly coiffed head almost a quarter-century ago has there been a putdown as visceral or as memorable as Dabo’s rant on the Gamecocks. To wit:
“That’s why Carolina’s in Chapel Hill and USC’s in California and the university in this state always has been, always will be Clemson … So, you can print that, tweet that, whatever.” — Clemson head coach Dabo SwinneyDabo Swinney
View Full Profile (Dec. 1, 2011)
The difference in the two quotes is that Dabo’s mattered. While Bentsen’s shot diminished Quayle, it didn’t prevent George Bush the first from defeating Michael Dukakis. Conversely, I think Dabo’s rant saved Clemson.
|Send Feedback to TigerNet Staff: Email | Comment||
- ESPN host: "I now actively root against Clemson"
- ESPN analyst says Alabama's worst nightmare is Clemson
- WATCH: Swinney locker room speech and dance moves after ACC Championship win
- Clemson earns #2 seed in College Football Playoff
- Deshaun Watson named finalist for 2016 Heisman Trophy Award
- Game time announced for Fiesta Bowl
- Boulware wins 2016 Jack Lambert Award
- Latest Heisman odds for Deshaun Watson
- Official Fiesta Bowl Packages Available Now!
- Bowl gifts announced for players at Fiesta Bowl