|Dabo's Rant Saved Clemson|
|Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:37 AM-||
From Free Times:
“I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you’re no Jack Kennedy.” —Democratic vice presidential candidate Lloyd Bentsen to Republican vice presidential candidate Dan Quayle during televised debate (Oct. 5, 1988)
Why start a column about football with a political quote? Because not since Lloyd Bentsen peeled the scalp off Dan Quayle’s perfectly coiffed head almost a quarter-century ago has there been a putdown as visceral or as memorable as Dabo’s rant on the Gamecocks. To wit:
“That’s why Carolina’s in Chapel Hill and USC’s in California and the university in this state always has been, always will be Clemson … So, you can print that, tweet that, whatever.” — Clemson head coach Dabo SwinneyDabo Swinney
View Full Profile (Dec. 1, 2011)
The difference in the two quotes is that Dabo’s mattered. While Bentsen’s shot diminished Quayle, it didn’t prevent George Bush the first from defeating Michael Dukakis. Conversely, I think Dabo’s rant saved Clemson.
|Send Feedback to TigerNet Staff: Email | Comment||
- Clemson DE will transfer
- Swinney jokes: "Oklahoma hates us right now"
- 2016 Clemson recruiting class rankings
- Renfrow breaks bone in hand playing pickup basketball
- Latest NCAA projection for Clemson
- 2016 Football Gameday Designations Announced
- Swinney: "Venables is the worst driver on my staff"
- WATCH: Swinney presser crashed By Christian Wilkins
- Clemson ranked in Top 5 of ESPN's 2016 FPI
- C.J. Spiller welcomes new Clemson recruits