|Dabo's Rant Saved Clemson|
From Free Times:
“I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you’re no Jack Kennedy.” —Democratic vice presidential candidate Lloyd Bentsen to Republican vice presidential candidate Dan Quayle during televised debate (Oct. 5, 1988)
Why start a column about football with a political quote? Because not since Lloyd Bentsen peeled the scalp off Dan Quayle’s perfectly coiffed head almost a quarter-century ago has there been a putdown as visceral or as memorable as Dabo’s rant on the Gamecocks. To wit:
“That’s why Carolina’s in Chapel Hill and USC’s in California and the university in this state always has been, always will be Clemson … So, you can print that, tweet that, whatever.” — Clemson head coach Dabo SwinneyDabo Swinney
View Full Profile (Dec. 1, 2011)
The difference in the two quotes is that Dabo’s mattered. While Bentsen’s shot diminished Quayle, it didn’t prevent George Bush the first from defeating Michael Dukakis. Conversely, I think Dabo’s rant saved Clemson.
|Send Feedback to TigerNet Staff: Email | Comment||
- Swinney calls out NFL scouts on Watson's draft grade
- Report: Muschamp says 'Game On' after Clemson wins title
- Clemson RB to transfer
- WATCH: Clemson's epic tribute video for Dabo Swinney
- First Look: Coca-Cola commemorative Clemson Championship can
- WATCH: Finebaum argues with an Alabama fan that Clemson is #1
- Church sign quotes Dabo Swinney
- WATCH: Boulware's emotional speech at Clemson's Championship celebration
- Bryant: "I know I'm on my last chance"
- WATCH: Epic Clemson song "It's Natty time"