|Clemson provost on Thursday night home football game|
|by TigerNet Staff - Monday, February 25, 2013 9:01 AM||
(Letter from Provost to faculty and students)
Clemson will host a Thursday night home football game this fall, as part of our commitment to the Atlantic Coast Conference and its television contract with ESPN. This is the first Thursday night home game we have hosted since October of 2002. Details regarding the date and opponent will be announced when the ACC releases the full schedule later this week.
The ACC must fill a certain number of Thursday night slots each year, and the conference office asks each member school to participate in the rotation. The contractual arrangement guarantees the conference a nationally televised appearance in prime time.
For many years, our position has been that Thursday night games at Clemson present challenges not seen at many universities because our stadium is located in the middle of campus. However, we have an obligation to support the ACC’s television contract, from which we benefit. Since we have not hosted a Thursday home game in more than 11 years, it is clearly our turn. With adequate planning time, we can develop a strategy to minimize impact on the academic schedule and university operations. President Barker plans to appoint a team including faculty, staff and student leaders to assist with the planning.
Dan Radakovich, director of athletics, said that the Thursday night nationally televised home game will provide an opportunity to showcase the university as well as the football program. He also recognizes the challenges it will present for many departments, especially faculty and students with afternoon or night classes and labs. The athletic department staff will work closely with the administration to make this as workable as possible.
We will keep you informed as plans develop.
Doris R. Helms
|Send Feedback to TigerNet Staff: Email | Comment||
- Watson takes the high road in response to Spurrier comments
- Spurrier talks Clemson and Watson at impromptu press conference
- Swinney: "I've already made a decision on Lakip"
- No jail for Rogers, but will miss 2015 Clemson football season
- Swinney discusses his relationship with Tommy Bowden
- New Faces Set for ESPN College Football Studio Shows
- Dabo on the added emphasis vs. South Carolina
- Swinney discusses rivalry with Gamecocks on SportsCenter
- Swinney "shakes it off" during ACC rapid fire questions
- Clemson ranked in Top 20 of ESPN's Preseason FPI