|Clemson baseball signee selected in third round by the Yankees|
|by Tony Crumpton - Associate Editor - Friday, June 6, 2014 2:30 PM||
Austin DeCarr - RHP
Height: 6-3 Weight: 215 Hometown: Foxboro, MA (Xaverian Brothers HS) Class: 2014
Clemson baseball signee Austin DeCarr was taken in the third round of the MLB draft by the New York Yankees on Friday. The 6-foot-3 pitcher from Foxborough, MA was the 91st overall pick. The 2014 allotment for the 91st pick according to Baseball America is $585,100.
MLB Draft report
It's been a good year to go see talented high school arms in the Northeast, with DeCarr keeping up with Scott Blewett in New York and Joe Gatto in New Jersey as the top prep pitchers in the region. While slightly less projectable than his counterparts, the Clemson commit performed well this spring. Even though it's just his second full year of pitching, DeCarr is more advanced than many, with more consistent pitchability. He'll pitch at 92-93 mph, but can reach back for 95 mph when he needs it. His curveball shows flashes of being a plus offering, and his changeup gives him the chance to have a very effective three-pitch mix. He can throw all three pitches for strikes. A fresh arm in a durable frame is an intriguing combination. While DeCarr may not have the ceiling of some high school pitchers in this class, his stuff and poise should interest many teams in the first few rounds.
|Send Feedback to Tony Crumpton: Email | Comment||
- 4-star DE commits to Clemson
- Clemson in top group for Keyshawn Johnson Jr.
- Elite QB to announce on Monday, Clemson in final group
- Clemson DE target to announce on Friday
- Clemson OT target commits to Ole Miss
- Clemson DE target almost commits to Florida
- WATCH: Will Xavier Kelly Land at Clemson
- Elite OT to visit Clemson on Thursday
- Clemson in top group for 4-star OG
- 4-star DE to visit Clemson on Thursday