|Wolfpack top Tigers in game two of series|
|Sunday, April 6, 2014 6:09 PM-||
CLEMSON, S.C. – Andrew Knizner and Trea Turner combined for seven hits to lead NC State to a 9-4 win over No. 15 Clemson at Doug Kingsmore Stadium on Sunday afternoon. NC State (18-12, 4-10 ACC) snapped its 10-game conference losing streak and evened the series 1-1 against the Tigers (20-10, 9-4 ACC).
Trailing 1-0, the Tigers scored two unearned runs in the first inning after a costly Wolfpack error. But Knizner belted a solo homer in the sixth inning to tie the score and Turner grounded a two-out single up the middle to score the go-ahead run in the seventh inning. NC State added six insurance runs in the ninth inning. Turner had a game-high four hits, while Knizner added two doubles and a homer.
Reliever D.J. Thomas (2-0) earned the win by tossing 5.2 scoreless innings. He gave up just three hits and no walks with two strikeouts. Eric Peterson pitched 2.0 innings to record his second save of the year. Tiger starter Zack ErwinZack Erwin
So. LH Pitcher
#33 6-4, 180
View Full Profile (2-2) suffered the loss despite tying his career high with seven strikeouts in 6.2 innings pitched.
The series concludes Monday at 7 p.m. on ESPNU. Monday is Military Appreciation Day at Doug Kingsmore Stadium, as representatives from ROTC, Air Force and the Marines will throw out ceremonial “first pitches.” Fireworks will also be shot off during the national anthem and during the game.
- ACC Baseball Championship moved up due to forecast
- Clemson named regional host for 2016 NCAA Baseball Tournament
- Clemson fan puts '3-9 sign' on Gamecock Bus
- WATCH: Analyst says Watson is NOT a Top 5 QB for 2017 NFL Draft
- Blossomgame makes his decision on the NBA
- Ben Boulware trolls FSU after Clemson wins ACC Title
- WATCH: Clemson celebrates 2016 ACC Baseball Championship
- Latest NCAA Regional projection for Clemson Baseball
- 19 Clemson students rescued from Kentucky cave
- Former Clemson safety signs contract with Colts