|Wolfpack top Tigers in game two of series|
CLEMSON, S.C. – Andrew Knizner and Trea Turner combined for seven hits to lead NC State to a 9-4 win over No. 15 Clemson at Doug Kingsmore Stadium on Sunday afternoon. NC State (18-12, 4-10 ACC) snapped its 10-game conference losing streak and evened the series 1-1 against the Tigers (20-10, 9-4 ACC).
Trailing 1-0, the Tigers scored two unearned runs in the first inning after a costly Wolfpack error. But Knizner belted a solo homer in the sixth inning to tie the score and Turner grounded a two-out single up the middle to score the go-ahead run in the seventh inning. NC State added six insurance runs in the ninth inning. Turner had a game-high four hits, while Knizner added two doubles and a homer.
Reliever D.J. Thomas (2-0) earned the win by tossing 5.2 scoreless innings. He gave up just three hits and no walks with two strikeouts. Eric Peterson pitched 2.0 innings to record his second save of the year. Tiger starter Zack ErwinZack Erwin
So. LH Pitcher
#33 6-4, 180
View Full Profile (2-2) suffered the loss despite tying his career high with seven strikeouts in 6.2 innings pitched.
The series concludes Monday at 7 p.m. on ESPNU. Monday is Military Appreciation Day at Doug Kingsmore Stadium, as representatives from ROTC, Air Force and the Marines will throw out ceremonial “first pitches.” Fireworks will also be shot off during the national anthem and during the game.
- Swinney sends plea to Clemson fans about ACC title game
- Swinney on media reporting on allegations of racial slurs: "They should be fired"
- ESPN analyst says Alabama's worst nightmare is Clemson
- WATCH: Swinney locker room speech and dance moves after ACC Championship win
- Clemson earns #2 seed in College Football Playoff
- Disney employees given tickets to ACC Championship to help fill stadium
- Clemson moves up in CFB Playoff Rankings
- Game time announced for Fiesta Bowl
- Watson climbing in latest Heisman Watch
- ESPN analysts think Clemson is better than Ohio State