|Wolfpack top Tigers in game two of series|
|Sunday, April 6, 2014 6:09 PM-||
CLEMSON, S.C. – Andrew Knizner and Trea Turner combined for seven hits to lead NC State to a 9-4 win over No. 15 Clemson at Doug Kingsmore Stadium on Sunday afternoon. NC State (18-12, 4-10 ACC) snapped its 10-game conference losing streak and evened the series 1-1 against the Tigers (20-10, 9-4 ACC).
Trailing 1-0, the Tigers scored two unearned runs in the first inning after a costly Wolfpack error. But Knizner belted a solo homer in the sixth inning to tie the score and Turner grounded a two-out single up the middle to score the go-ahead run in the seventh inning. NC State added six insurance runs in the ninth inning. Turner had a game-high four hits, while Knizner added two doubles and a homer.
Reliever D.J. Thomas (2-0) earned the win by tossing 5.2 scoreless innings. He gave up just three hits and no walks with two strikeouts. Eric Peterson pitched 2.0 innings to record his second save of the year. Tiger starter Zack ErwinZack Erwin
So. LH Pitcher
#33 6-4, 180
View Full Profile (2-2) suffered the loss despite tying his career high with seven strikeouts in 6.2 innings pitched.
The series concludes Monday at 7 p.m. on ESPNU. Monday is Military Appreciation Day at Doug Kingsmore Stadium, as representatives from ROTC, Air Force and the Marines will throw out ceremonial “first pitches.” Fireworks will also be shot off during the national anthem and during the game.
- Boulware fires back at NFL analyst on Twitter
- National Championship Odds for Clemson after NSD
- 2016 Football Gameday Designations Announced
- Swinney: "Venables is the worst driver on my staff"
- Watson pays tribute to Cam Newton before Super Bowl
- Clemson ranked in Top 5 of ESPN's 2016 FPI
- Clemson ranked in Top 5 of ESPN's 2016 Way-Too-Early Top 25
- Swinney: I always told my Mama I'd make it to Yale
- Venables named nation's top recruiter
- WATCH: Clemson football players go to a kid's birthday party