|Tigers set to open Spring Baseball Practice|
|Friday, January 24, 2014 5:12 PM-||
The 2014 Clemson baseball preseason will get underway this weekend with the first team practice at Doug Kingsmore Stadium. The Tigers, who were picked to finish third in the ACC Atlantic Division by the coaches earlier on Friday, return eight of nine positions starters and 77 percent of their innings pitched from 2013, when Clemson won 40 games and played in the NCAA Tournament.
Head Coach Jack Leggett, who was inducted into the ABCA Hall of Fame on January 3, will lead the Tigers in his 21st season as head coach. Clemson is tied for the sixth-winningest program in the nation during his tenure with the Tiger program.
"I'm extremely excited about the team that we have in 2014," said Leggett. "We have a lot of experience returning from key parts of the team that should be invaluable during our always-tough ACC schedule. Our goal remains the same...to return to Omaha and compete for the National Championship."
Among Clemson's top returning players is junior righthander Daniel GossettDaniel Gossett
Jr. RH Pitcher
#23 6-0, 180
View Full Profile, who had a 10-4 record and 2.56 ERA in 2013. Sophomore lefthander Matthew CrownoverMatthew Crownover
So. LH Pitcher
#44 5-11, 205
View Full Profile also returns after compiling a 7-3 record and team-best 2.19 ERA a season ago.
Shane KennedyShane Kennedy
#11 6-2, 190
View Full Profile, who will miss a substantial portion of the season while recovering from a torn ACL that he suffered in the fall, was a Second-Team All-ACC player in 2013 who hit .317 with five homers, 35 RBIs, and 22 stolen bases. Garrett BoulwareGarrett Boulware
#30 6-1, 210
View Full Profile led the team in homers (8) and RBIs (45) as well.
The Tigers will open up the season against Eastern Michigan in a three-game series at Doug Kingsmore Stadium from February 14-16. For tickets, log on to ClemsonTigers.com or call 1-800-CLEMSON. Fans can also follow Clemson baseball on Twitter and Instagram at @CUTigerBaseball.
- Clemson's statement on possible inclement weather for Clemson-ND
- Photo: ND coach's reaction to Clemson running down the hill
- WATCH: Swinney and team dancing in the locker room after ND win
- Friday AM Weather Update for Clemson-ND
- Clemson-ND game time and parking update
- Clemson jumps up in latest Coaches Poll
- Swinney wishes Notre Dame and their "lugubrious" crowd safe travels
- ESPN's Herbstreit impressed with Clemson after ND win
- WATCH: Swinney post-game speech cut off by ABC
- Clemson rises in latest AP Poll