|Tigers take series opener over UNLV at Fluor|
|Clemson Athletic Communications - Sunday, May 4, 2014 5:13 PM||
GREENVILLE, S.C. – Steve Wilkerson’s solo homer in the sixth inning broke a 1-1 tie and the senior added a two-run single in the seventh inning as Clemson defeated UNLV 6-2 Sunday afternoon at Fluor Field. The Tigers (28-19) took a 1-0 lead in the two-game series against the Rebels (29-17) in the first meeting between the two schools since 2001.
Wilkerson’s fifth blast of the season in the sixth inning broke the 1-1 tie, then a run-scoring double by Jay Baum and Weston Wilson’s RBI groundout later in the sixth gave the Tigers a three-run lead. In the seventh inning, Wilkerson laced a two-run single to give Clemson a 6-1 lead.
Junior righthander Daniel Gossett (6-0) earned the win by allowing just two runs on seven hits with seven strikeouts in 8.0 innings pitched. Rebel starter Bryan Bonnell (5-4) suffered the loss, as he gave up seven hits, four runs and three walks in 5.1 innings pitched.
The two-game series concludes Monday at 6:30 p.m. at Doug Kingsmore Stadium.
- Details of Ogundeko's arrest affidavit
- Clemson DE dismissed from football team
- Former Clemson player laid to rest on Cemetery Hill
- Cole Stoudt released by Chargers
- 2015 ACC Baseball Championship Bracket Announced
- Report: Ogundeko charged with Financial Transaction Fraud
- Latest Heisman, National Championship Odds
- Latest ESPN Class Recruiting Rankings
- Clemson ranked #1 ACC Offensive Trio
- Official TigerNet iPhone App Released