|Swinney says he was originally just going to suspend Chad Kelly|
|Wednesday, April 23, 2014 11:32 AM-||
Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said on a media teleconference Wednesday that he was originally was going to suspend former quarterback Chad KellyChad Kelly
RS So. Quarterback
#11 6-2, 210
View Full Profile, but the meeting with Kelly went badly, and he was forced to dismiss the quarterback.
"The meeting just didn't go well and his response," Swinney said. "There are just certain things you can't tolerate. That's just the bottom line. It wasn't a good meeting but there was no police or any of the stuff that was put out there. It was just a simple decision that was made. He moved on and we moved on. To his credit he has apologized and taken ownership. That's what you like to see in young people. It's unfortunate it had to get to that but sometimes that is what happens."
Swinney said that he hopes Kelly will grow from this experience, but he also hurts for his family and also feels like he failed Kelly.
"I feel like I failed," Swinney said. "That's just the bottom line. Anytime I have to dismiss a player I feel like I am a failure. Nobody is winning in this situation. But again a tough decision had to be made."
|Send Feedback to TigerNet Staff: Email | Comment||
- Clemson DE will transfer
- Swinney jokes: "Oklahoma hates us right now"
- 2016 Clemson recruiting class rankings
- National Championship Odds for Clemson after NSD
- 2016 Football Gameday Designations Announced
- Swinney: "Venables is the worst driver on my staff"
- WATCH: Swinney presser crashed By Christian Wilkins
- Watson pays tribute to Cam Newton before Super Bowl
- Clemson ranked in Top 5 of ESPN's 2016 FPI
- C.J. Spiller welcomes new Clemson recruits