|Spiller reaches agreement with the Saints|
|Assoc. Editor - Friday, March 13, 2015 1:04 PM-||
Former Clemson running back CJ Spiller has agreed to a four-year contract with the New Orleans Saints on Friday worth $18 million with 9 million guaranteed according to multiple sources.
The Saints have re-signed running back Mark Ingram to a new four-year $16 million dollar contract but released veteran running back Pierre Thomas last week. The Saints view Spiller in the Darren Sproles play-maker role that they have had in the past.
Spiller rushed 668 times for 3,321 yards (5,550 all-purpose yards) and 12 touchdowns during his time with the Bills. During an injury-shortened 2014 season (broken collarbone), Spiller had 78 rushes for 300 yards and also had 19 catches for 125 yards and a touchdown. His best season came in 2012 when he had an impressive 1,703 total yards and a career-high 8 touchdowns. He was drafted by the Bills with the 9th overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft.
The Saints will have a crowded backfield with C.J. Spiller, Mark Ingram and Khiry Robinson each waiting their chance to tote the rock.
Other offseason running back transactions in the NFL include Shane Vereen to the Giants, Ryan Matthews and DeMarco Murray to the Eagles, Darren McFadden to the Cowboys and Frank Gore to the Colts.
Running back roulette continues! The Saints have reached an agreement with RB C.J. SpillerC.J. Spiller— NFL on ESPN (@ESPNNFL) March 13, 2015
Pro Running Back
#28 5-11, 195
Lake Butler, FL
View Full Profile (via @AdamSchefter) pic.twitter.com/xa0gDst6HT
#Saints gave CJ Spiller a 4-year deal worth $18M, source said. $9M guaranteed, $5M signing bonus. Can void the 4th year based on performance— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 13, 2015
|Send Feedback to Tony Crumpton: Email | Comment||
- NC State coach's positives vs. Clemson: "We knocked their tailback out of the game"
- Swinney reaches out to Purdue coach with heartfelt message
- Clemson moves up in latest AP Poll
- Report: Gamecocks offer former Clemson DB
- Swinney updates Gallman's status for FSU
- ESPN announcers for Clemson-FSU
- Dwayne Allen explains why he kneeled during anthem
- Mini-Ben Boulware gets to meet his hero
- ACC announces Game times for Week 10
- WATCH: Clemson-FSU Hype Video "Take Tallahassee"