|Shaq Lawson ranked #1 ACC Backup by ESPN|
|Assoc. Editor - 2014-07-18 09:15:26.0-||
ESPN has released its list of ACC's best backups and Clemson's sophomore defensive end Shaq LawsonShaq Lawson
So. Defensive End
#90 6-4, 260
View Full Profile as the top backup in the entire conference.
As a freshman, Lawson has 4 sacks, 10 tackles for loss, 9 quarterback pressures and a pass breakup. Look for Lawson to have a breakout-type season in 2014.
Why he’ll make an impact: While Lawson ranked fifth on Clemson’s roster in TFLs, there are only seven other returning players in the ACC who had more in 2013. At 6-foot-3, 270 pounds, Lawson is big and bruising but can play quick. And for linemen who’ve spent the game battling Beasley and Crawford, Lawson won’t provide any relief. For Clemson, the pass rush can be deployed the way many teams use tailbacks -- one to wear down the opposition, then fresh legs enter to hit the home run. It’s also worth noting that the bulk of Clemson’s defensive line is in its final season, so getting Lawson and other young guys playing time will be crucial to maintaining consistency on the line into 2015.
|Send Feedback to Tony Crumpton: Email | Comment||
- Fox Sports analyst: "Clemson is a fraud"
- Swinney sends plea to Clemson fans about ACC title game
- Swinney on media reporting on allegations of racial slurs: "They should be fired"
- ESPN analyst says Alabama's worst nightmare is Clemson
- Disney employees given tickets to ACC Championship to help fill stadium
- Clemson earns #2 seed in College Football Playoff
- Clemson moves up in CFB Playoff Rankings
- WATCH: Swinney locker room speech and dance moves after ACC Championship win
- Watson climbing in latest Heisman Watch
- ESPN analysts think Clemson is better than Ohio State