|Shaq Lawson ranked #1 ACC Backup by ESPN|
|by Tony Crumpton - Associate Editor - Friday, July 18, 2014 9:15 AM||
ESPN has released its list of ACC's best backups and Clemson's sophomore defensive end Shaq LawsonShaq Lawson
So. Defensive End
#90 6-4, 260
View Full Profile as the top backup in the entire conference.
As a freshman, Lawson has 4 sacks, 10 tackles for loss, 9 quarterback pressures and a pass breakup. Look for Lawson to have a breakout-type season in 2014.
Why he’ll make an impact: While Lawson ranked fifth on Clemson’s roster in TFLs, there are only seven other returning players in the ACC who had more in 2013. At 6-foot-3, 270 pounds, Lawson is big and bruising but can play quick. And for linemen who’ve spent the game battling Beasley and Crawford, Lawson won’t provide any relief. For Clemson, the pass rush can be deployed the way many teams use tailbacks -- one to wear down the opposition, then fresh legs enter to hit the home run. It’s also worth noting that the bulk of Clemson’s defensive line is in its final season, so getting Lawson and other young guys playing time will be crucial to maintaining consistency on the line into 2015.
|Send Feedback to Tony Crumpton: Email | Comment||
- Ebenezer Ogundeko arrested for March assault
- Swinney discusses rivalry with Gamecocks on SportsCenter
- Swinney calls for Notre Dame to join a conference to make College Football Playoffs
- Clemson moves up in latest ESPN team recruiting rankings
- WATCH: C.J. Spiller goes home to Mac's Drive-In
- WATCH: MTV Cribs-style Tour with Artavis Scott
- Clemson ranked in the Top 15 of the Preseason Coaches' Poll
- MUST SEE: A Son's Inspiration - Deshaun Watson's powerful story
- Da'Quan Bowers signs with NFL team
- Swinney: "Best secondary since I've been at Clemson in 13 years"