|Martavis Bryant knows about perseverance|
|Assoc. Editor - Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:52 AM-||
Former Clemson wide receiver Martavis BryantMartavis Bryant
Wide Receiver (2011 - 2013)
#1 6-5, 200
Calhoun Falls, SC
View Full Profile signed his NFL contract on Monday after being drafted in the 4th round (118th overall) by the Pittsburgh Steelers.
It has not always been easy for Bryant and his family throughout his football career, including falling short academically by a single math credit in high school, getting suspended for the 2012 Chick-fil-A Bowl and raising two small children while being a full-time student athlete.
Now, he wants to do the right thing and make sure he takes care of his mother who has given and supported him so much over the years.
Bryant is going to work for his girls, but he finally is able to take care of his mother, too. Roberta insists that his focus should be on his children — “I can take care of myself,” she said — but he knows he now has the ability to support the woman who sacrificed so much for him growing up.
“It’s a blessing for me to be able to take care of her, because she took care of me all by herself and it takes a strong woman to do that. I saw her struggle; now it’s just good for me to take care of her and provide for her because her legs are going bad. I can’t let her work, man,” he said of his mother, who has leg and thyroid problems.
After dealing with all the adversity, Bryant had a breakout junior season with 827 yards and seven touchdowns for the Tigers and helped lead Clemson to a win against Ohio State 40-35 in the 2014 Discover Orange Bowl.
|Send Feedback to Tony Crumpton: Email | Comment||
- Swinney reaches out to Purdue coach with heartfelt message
- NC State coach's positives vs. Clemson: "We knocked their tailback out of the game"
- Clemson moves up in latest AP Poll
- Report: Gamecocks offer former Clemson DB
- Chad Morris on Dabo, texting and dancing
- ESPN announcers for Clemson-FSU
- WATCH: Clemson-FSU Hype Video "Take Tallahassee"
- Mini-Ben Boulware gets to meet his hero
- ACC announces Game times for Week 10
- Vegas odds on Clemson-Alabama