|Lucas Glover moves into Top 15 at Masters|
|Clemson Athletic Communications - Friday, April 11, 2014 7:39 PM||
Clemson, S.C.—Former Clemson All-American Lucas Glover fired a three-under par 69 on Friday to move into the top 15 at the 2014 Masters. The 2009 US Open Champion improved six shots and 38 places in the standings with his career best round at Augusta National.
Glover shot an opening round 75, including a 40 on the back nine and stood outside the cut line in 53rd place after Thursday’s competition. But the native of Greenville finished with birdies on the 17th and 18th holes to not only make the cut, but move into contention. He shot a 34 on the back nine on Friday, six shots better than his Thursday round.
He is seven shots behind leader Bubba Watson, but he is just four shots out of second place entering Saturday’s play.
The native of Greenville, SC became the first former Clemson golfer to score in the 60s since the final round of the 1992 Masters when Dillard Pruitt, also a native of Greenville, S.C. shot a 69. Pruitt had a second round 68 in that same Masters and that is the only other score in the 60s by a former Clemson golfer at the Masters.
Glover, playing in his seventh Masters, made the cut for the fourth time in his career. Former Clemson golfers have made the cut 10 times and Glover has four of them. It was Glover’s 14th career made cut in a professional major.
Through two rounds, Glover has hit 22 of 36 greens in regulation, has taken 57 putts, has 10 birdies, 17 pars, eight bogeys and a double bogey.
His finish to the round on Friday was probably the highlight of his Masters career. On 17 he hit his approach shot 60 feet right of the pin. But he made the putt that included a huge break to his right. On 18 he hit his drive just a few feet from the fairway bunker on the left. He hit his second shot past the hole, but it rolled back to within six feet and made the putt.
- Clemson DT to step away from Football for a period of time
- NFL suspends Bryant for substance abuse
- Clemson ranked in Top 15 in Preseason AP Poll
- Swinney makes more redshirt decisions
- Radakovich discusses idea of selling Beer at Clemson games
- Photos: Inside Clemson's Oculus
- Clemson DB breaks a bone in his hand
- Conan O'Brien jokingly mistakes Daniel Rodriguez for the UPS Man
- Photo: Louisville to wear alternate uniforms against Clemson
- Swinney says Peake fastest Clemson WR since Jacoby Ford