|Kyle Parker called up to the Major Leagues|
CLEMSON, S.C. (CU SID) -- Former Tiger outfielder and quarterback Kyle Parker was called up to the majors for the first time with the Colorado Rockies on Monday. If he plays in a game with the Rockies, he becomes the 51st Tiger in history and sixth in 2014 to play in a major league game. The Rockies begin a three-game series at the Los Angeles Dodgers on Monday night.
Parker was one of Clemson's best two-sport athletes in history. In his three years (2008-10) on the baseball team, he hit .302 with 34 doubles, one triple, 46 homers, 166 RBIs, 177 runs and 12 steals in 187 games. He was a two-time, First-Team All-ACC selection, then was drafted in the first round (No. 26 overall pick) by the Rockies in 2010.
His best football season as a Tiger was in 2009, when he was a freshman All-American and led Clemson to nine wins along with an ACC Atlantic Division title. He set Tiger freshman records for passing yards (2,526) and passing touchdowns (20). With his 20 home runs in 2010, he became the first Division I athlete in history to total 20 homers and 20 passing touchdowns in the same academic year.
Parker played four seasons (2011-14) in the minors at all levels, including 2011 when he was a roommate of Super Bowl Championship quarterback Russell Wilson at Single-A Asheville. Parker, the son of former NFL wideout Carl Parker, is a career .293 hitter with 74 homers and 280 RBIs in 409 games in the minors.
Just to reminisce, here is video of Kyle Parker playing football for Clemson in 2008-2010.
|Send Feedback to TigerNet Staff: Email | Comment||
- ESPN host: "I now actively root against Clemson"
- ESPN analyst says Alabama's worst nightmare is Clemson
- WATCH: Swinney locker room speech and dance moves after ACC Championship win
- Clemson earns #2 seed in College Football Playoff
- Disney employees given tickets to ACC Championship to help fill stadium
- Deshaun Watson named finalist for 2016 Heisman Trophy Award
- Game time announced for Fiesta Bowl
- Boulware wins 2016 Jack Lambert Award
- Latest Heisman odds for Deshaun Watson
- Official Fiesta Bowl Packages Available Now!