|Gossett earns ACC Pitcher-of-the-Week Honor|
|Monday, May 20, 2013 2:35 PM-||
GREENSBORO, N.C. – Virginia sophomore outfield Mike Papi has been named the Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Player of the Week for the second consecutive week, while Clemson sophomore Daniel GossettDaniel Gossett
So. RH Pitcher
#23 6-0, 180
View Full Profile earned Pitcher of the Week honors as the league announced its final weekly honors of the 2013 season.
Papi had another big week as Virginia went 3-1, including a series win at second-ranked North Carolina. He was 5-for-13 with four RBI and reached base in nine of his 17 plate appearances in the UNC series as the Cavaliers claimed their first series win in Chapel Hill since 2007. The Tuckhannock, Pa., native had the game-tying hit in the fourth inning in Game 1 at UNC. He added a pair of extra-base hits in the second game of the series and was on base three more times in the final game. In the finale he ended the game by making a jumping catch at the top of the left-center field wall for the second out in the 11th inning and then threw in to first base for the assist as UVa doubled the runner off first base to end the game. Papi had a .565 on base percentage for the week as he upped his NCAA-best OBP to .546. He also finished as the ACC’s regular-season batting champion at .408.
Gossett pitched 6.0 scoreless innings of three-hit ball to earn the win at No. 8 Florida State last Thursday night. All three hits that he allowed were singles. The Lyman, S.C., native totaled three strikeouts in Clemson’s 8-2 victory. On the season, Gossett stands 9-3 with a 2.20 ERA and .209 opponents’ batting average along with 83 strikeouts against 31 walks in 86.0 innings pitched over 14 starts.
Both Papi and Gossett were also voted to the 2013 All-ACC team, announced earlier Monday.
- Clemson's statement on possible inclement weather for Clemson-ND
- Photo: ND coach's reaction to Clemson running down the hill
- WATCH: Swinney and team dancing in the locker room after ND win
- Friday AM Weather Update for Clemson-ND
- Clemson-ND game time and parking update
- Clemson jumps up in latest Coaches Poll
- Swinney wishes Notre Dame and their "lugubrious" crowd safe travels
- ESPN's Herbstreit impressed with Clemson after ND win
- WATCH: Swinney post-game speech cut off by ABC
- Clemson rises in latest AP Poll