|Gossett, Shaffer Earn Weekly Baseball Honors|
|Monday, April 9, 2012 3:02 PM-||
Freshman righthander Daniel GossettDaniel Gossett
Fr. RH Pitcher
#23 6-0, 160
View Full Profile (Lyman, SC) was named one of four national players-of-the-week by Collegiate Baseball, while junior corner infielder Richie ShafferRichie Shaffer
Jr. 3rd Base
#8 6-3, 205
View Full Profile (Charlotte, NC) was named ACC Player-of-the-Week for the third time in 2012, announced Monday. It was also the fourth time in Shaffer’s career that he received ACC Player-of-the-Week honors.
Gossett struck out 15 batters against no walks in 9.0 scoreless innings pitched over two appearances (one start) last week. He also allowed just five hits (.156 opponents’ batting average) and played a hand in two victories. Against Winthrop on Tuesday, he struck out 13 batters while allowing just three hits (all singles), no runs, and no walks in 7.0 innings pitched to earn the win. The 13 strikeouts were the most by a Tiger since 2009. He also retired the first 15 batters of the game against the Eagles. Then at Duke on Sunday, he tossed 2.0 scoreless innings with two strikeouts to record the save in the Tigers’ 4-2 victory. On the season, he is 3-2 with two saves, a 4.66 ERA, and 37 strikeouts against 10 walks in 29.0 innings pitched over 10 appearances (four starts).
Shaffer had at least two hits in all five games this past week and went 12-for-21 (.571) with seven RBIs and three steals. He also totaled one homer, one double, four runs, three walks, a .600 on-base percentage, and did not commit an error in 13 chances at third base to help the Tigers to four wins. In Clemson’s three-game sweep at Duke over the weekend, he was 7-for-13 (.538) with three RBIs and two steals. On the season, he is hitting .365 with seven homers, 12 doubles, one triple, 31 RBIs, 27 runs, 31 walks, a .493 on-base percentage, and five steals in 32 games (32 starts).
|Send Feedback to TigerNet Staff: Email | Comment||
- Deshaun Watson is 218 pounds....and he's faster
- Swinney says Saban trying to "kiss up" for onside kick
- Saban says Watson most dominant since Cam Newton
- Swinney updates Feaster's health
- Watson ranked #1 overall CFB player in 2016
- Former Clemson player makes MLB debut
- Football season brings new parking ordinance for Clemson
- Report: Shaq Lawson could miss half of the season or more
- ESPN announces new commentators for Thursday and Friday College Football; David Pollack re-signs
- ACC and ESPN closing in on network deal