|Former Clemson INF called up to MLB|
|Monday, July 21, 2014 4:51 PM-||
CLEMSON, S.C. - Former Tiger first-baseman Ben Paulsen was called up to the majors for the first time with the Colorado Rockies on Monday. The Acworth, Ga. native batted .291 with 15 homers, six triples, 24 doubles, 47 RBIs and a .380 on-base percentage in 95 games with the Colorado Springs (AAA) SkySox in 2014.
Paulsen, son of former Clemson Assistant Coach (2003-10) and current Winthrop Head Coach Tom Riginos (2011-present), can become the 52nd Tiger in history to play in an MLB game and the seventh Tiger in 2014. He can also become the fourth member of the 2009 Clemson team to don a major league uniform, joining lefthander Chris Dwyer, infielder Brad MillerBrad Miller
Infielder (2009 - 2011)
#13 6-1, 185
View Full Profile and infielder Kyle ParkerKyle Parker
Outfielder (2008 - 2010)
#11 6-1, 200
View Full Profile. Parker and Paulsen have been teammates in the Rockies organization at different levels.
In three years (2007-09) as a Tiger, Paulsen batted .318 with 31 homers, five triples, 34 doubles and 130 RBIs in 182 games. He was drafted in the third round (No. 90 overall pick) by the Rockies in 2009 after his best season as a Tiger. That year, he hit .367 with 13 homers and 61 RBIs in 66 games.
At every minor-league level with the Rockies organization, Paulsen had a career .277 batting average, 78 homers, 33 triples, 142 doubles, 375 RBIs and 15 steals in 648 games from 2009-14.
Earlier in July, he was named to the Triple-A All-Star Game. The Rockies begin a three-game home series Monday at 8:40 p.m. EDT against Washington. Paulsen is penciled in the starting lineup for tonight's game against the Nationals.
- GameDay crew makes CFP picks: Where does Clemson stand?
- Clemson ranked in Top 2 of Preseason Top 25 Poll
- Deshaun Watson featured in Jeopardy question
- Report: Clemson assistant to become head coach
- Lawson signs endorsement deal ahead of NFL Draft
- Photo: Concept Uniform for Clemson Football
- Former Clemson LB signs with Patriots
- Clemson and Ga. Tech game one suspended
- WATCH: Lawson gets a call from Shaquille O'Neal
- Former Clemson DE signs with Seahawks